Can SS Coil run on Ni Temp Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTIS e

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2014
Ontario, Canada
One of my mods (istick TC40W) does not have a temp option for stainless steel, so I tried a SS coil on the Ni setting but started the temp down at 200'F. It seemed to work ok but I noticed I could not go above 250'F before the juice was over-cooking or beginning to burn. On my VTC Mini set to SS 316, I'm able to run that same coil as high as 530'F and get the same vape experience.
Do mods have the different TC options for each metal because each type of metal requires a very different temp range? If so, is it still unsafe for any reason even if you find a temp that works with that metal.

They have different settings because different metals have a different resistence range. It may be working for you using ss in ni mode but I would by no means say that this is safe to do. It may say a temperature you are vaping at but the temperate is not accurate to what it really is meaning it is off if you know what I mean? Please stay safe and breath easy brother, peace.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    When TC first came out, there was only Ni TC mods.
    People started using titanium, but set the temp about 100deg lower, to reach about 420-430deg.
    That's where dry cotton will start to burn.
    Try doing a cotton burn test with the SS. That should put you in about the same temp range.
    Overheating SS is not unsafe like overheating Ni or Ti.
    SS can also be used in wattage mode.
    This is assuming your mod is not kicking you out of Ni TC mode(into wattage), when using the SS.
    Would be easier tho, to just use your VTC for SS builds.

MORTIS e

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    They have different settings because different metals have a different resistence range. It may be working for you using ss in ni mode but I would by no means say that this is safe to do. It may say a temperature you are vaping at but the temperate is not accurate to what it really is meaning it is off if you know what I mean? Please stay safe and breath easy brother, peace.

If I start at a very low displayed temp and work up to a comfortable vape, what could be unsafe about it? And thank you for your kind words.

MORTIS e

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    When TC first came out, there was only Ni TC mods.
    People started using titanium, but set the temp about 100deg lower, to reach about 420-430deg.
    That's where dry cotton will start to burn.
    Try doing a cotton burn test with the SS. That should put you in about the same temp range.
    Overheating SS is not unsafe like overheating Ni or Ti.
    SS can also be used in wattage mode.
    This is assuming your mod is not kicking you out of Ni TC mode(into wattage), when using the SS.
    Would be easier tho, to just use your VTC for SS builds.

Actually I'm using pre-built SS coils (Cubis), so testing at a very low starting temp seems the best way to approach it.
    I have two Cubis tanks with SS coils but only one VTC, but I'd like to occasionally run one tank on the iStick TC40, assuming of course that it can be done safely.
    Yes I can run the SS in wattage but I find the vape experience with SS much smoother and more consistent in temp mode.

Reactions: puffon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread