• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Canada Postal Strike Set for Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
Lets look at Canada Post ability to be able to pay their employees what they are asking for..

Right now not being able to use Canada Post, I am forced to use their competitors. For the same service, I am paying double what Canada Post charges, that is their closest competition.

This begs the question, why is Canada Post undercutting themselves? Rather than being 50% less than their competitors they could be 10% less and keep my business. To top that off they keep giving me discounts based on my increasing volume. That’s nice and all, but I wasn't going anywhere anyhow, so all they are doing is costing themselves money competing with themselves. Charge the market rate and they would be able to more than meet the reasonable demands of the union and maintain a huge profit.

This is the stupidity that Canada Post is run under. This is not the workers fault, yet they are being made to pay for it.

NanoVapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Western Canada
www.grbc.co
The gap between them and their competitors IS huge, but even with that gap they are still making lots of money, where the hecks it all going is the real question, apparently the employees dont think its going to them. I do know Canada Post recently bought two of their own jets, thats sort of a slap to the face :p

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
Nooooo!!!!!!!

I knew I should have insisted my package be shipped FedEx.. would have been cheaper too. AAAGGHHHH!!!!!! Now it's gonna be stuck at the border for who knows how long. Man am I ever glad I paid extra for Express though, at least I'll have a REAL tracking number..... so I can watch it sit there doing nothing.....

:(

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Canada Post is a dinosaur. Like most Government run operations, there's little incentive to change, or to improve. No shareholders, afterall.

And it's a sweet job. Good pay, good benefits. But they don't look at that. Unions fight for improvements, not status quo.

Anyways, as far as I know, the crux of the issue is that they are losing sick time in favor of a short term disability program, which is becoming the norm. Something about their pension too, but I can't remember. Sick time is big expense for employers, and more and more of them are putting a stop to the "accrue for eternity" system. You get a set amount per year, and if you use it up, you have to apply for short term disability.

NanoVapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Western Canada
www.grbc.co
Man am I ever glad I paid extra for Express though, at least I'll have a REAL tracking number..... so I can watch it sit there doing nothing.....

LOL thats also a slap to the face. But don't worry im in the same boat with shipments that are likely monolithic by comparison :(

I hope no one STEALS anything while its sitting there looking pretty (is that a rational fear for this??)

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
I hope no one STEALS anything while its sitting there looking pretty (is that a rational fear for this??)

Oh man me too!! I have a Motorola Aura coming my way...... (I know, I know... it was an impulse buy... what can I say, I think it's a hot lookin phone).

For those who are interested I read this today... Orangeville Article: Postal strike looms, delivery could stop tomorrow at the end of the article it says there are contingencies in place for any mail in the system currently to be delivered safely. That at least gives me hope I will get my packages even if they strike. But I don't know if I really believe it.

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    In the event of a strike, Canada Post will not operate — mail and parcels will not be delivered. Canada Post noted contingency plans are in place to ensure the safety of any items remaining in the mail stream during a work disruption.

The article didn't say any articles currently in the mail would be delivered. The Canada Post site says more or less the same. One more day and I might have gotten my package from China delivered. It cleared customs yesterday. So close and yet... :(

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 17, 2011
    Canada
    The wages are covered by the PROFITS of the company, Canada post made money last year. The only way it is coming out of your pocket is if you use their servces.

Canada Post is a couple of billion in debt though, couple of billion, and it's our debt by the way as well. So they need to make a lot in profit over the years to get to even. They also have massive pension obligations as a result of this union taking them to the cleaners with that as well.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2009
    Canada
    Canada Post is a couple of billion in debt though, couple of billion, and it's our debt by the way as well. So they need to make a lot in profit over the years to get to even. They also have massive pension obligations as a result of this union taking them to the cleaners with that as well.

What company doesn't have debt on their balance sheets?

If they choose to pay it down, it comes out of the bottom line profit. If they choose not to, they take a profit from the company. It all comes down to where this profit, money taken from the company goes.

If Canada Post was operating in the red, I'd completely agree that any wage increase is out of line, but A PROFIT is being drawn from the company. Where is this money going if not to maintian the workers wage? Paying down debit would be an acceptable answer, but that isn't where PROFIT goes.

We all know Canada Post is behind the times, the system has been neglected where it needs money re-invested to bring it into this century. Now the workers are being negeleticed. What is the managament of this company doing? Seems all they are interested in is bleeding the company dry sucking off a PROFIT of which we have no idea where it is even going or what it is doing.

Great way to run any business into the ground.

Chime

ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2010
    Canada
    Being a crown corporation shouldn't the books be open to all stakeholders (i.e. the tax payers?), without looking at the sheets its very hard to pass judgement on anyone.

I do agree though that if its come to this the management has made a major miscalculation and should be held accountable for it, possibly even replaced.

You do not screw with the mail system (in a lot of places they're top priority traffic even emergency vehicals technically have to yield to them).

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2009
    Canada

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Well, if they want to improve volumes, pressuring Health Canada might be a good start. I'll bet you'd see more pre-filled cartos flying through the mail. :)

According to the CIBC, the strike will start in Winnipeg and continue for 24 hours before spreading to other to-be-announced locations. Sucks to be in Winnipeg, but at least I get another day to get my f**ing mail through.

Postal strike to hit Winnipeg first: union - Canada - CBC News

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread