Carto tanks & Glassomizers & Coil-O-Tanks ... Oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
If you've never seen the Wizard of OZ, you won't get the title reference... but I digress. ;-)

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what is what these days. For example - what exactly is a Protank? Protank (and a similar device, the "Davide") reviews and discussions can be found in both the "tank" and "Clearo" forums. Is it a "Glassomizer"... a term (I believe) coined to describe a glass tank with a clearo type coil head?
Will we eventually have a Glassomizer sub-form, just for ProTank/Davide/what ever else fits, lovers? (I'm guessing - YES)

Lets break it down for those that are confused. I've *plagiarized the crap out of others to create these, somewhat abbreviated definitions... which are mostly just rehashed, modified stuff that others have stolen as well.

1. Clearomizer.
A. *A cartomizer that is transparent, so that you can see easily how much liquid is left in it.
B. Atomizer and Cartridge combined, disposable but refillable a number of times.
C. E-liquid container surrounding a, typically, replaceable atomizer (coil-head-base).

2. Cartomizer Tank.
A. *To deal with atomizer degradation and the associated expense, manufacturers introduced an integrated cartridge/atomizer component that is more cheaply produced, known as a cartomizer. When their heating elements degrade, they can be disposed of and replaced more cheaply than standalone atomizers.
B. By extension, a "Cartomizer Tank" is a e-liquid container surrounding and sealing a modified cartomizer. The cartomizer has "holes" of various types to allow e-liquid transfer from the "Tank" component to the cartomizer component.
C. The "Tank" is typically a glass, plastic or metal tube with o-ring sealed end caps. The end caps in turn have additional inside diameter o-rings to seal the replaceable cartomizer, when they wear out.

3. Glassomizer.
A. A device that combines the capacities of a Tank and the convince (I don't know about this, I can refill or replace the carto in, a carto tank faster than most can replace the coil head in a Glassomizer) of a Clearomizer in one, design dedicated product.
B. A proprietary, large capacity Clearomizer with features (Glass/plastic tank, completely disassemble-able) of both a Carto Tank and a Clearomizer (Threaded, replaceable coil-head assembly - available in 2-3 resistances).
C. *"The Kanger Protank offers the same great features and performance as the Kanger Clearomizers but with the introduction of a glass tank!"

So... what is a Glassomizer... a Carto Tank or a Clearomizer? IMO, it's still a Clearomizer... in the sense that the only real differences are the larger capacity and the glass container.
Arguing from the other direction, we could just as easily call it a "Tank Clearo" or my favorite, a "Tank-O-Mizer"... but other than capacity, the glass or polypro tube and the ability to completely disassemble it, it doesn't have any other tank properties. Ha ha ha... other than the cartomizer part... doesn't that describe a carto tank? :blink:

(Something funny... if you Google "Glassomizer", you will see links to vendors for Protanks and Davides including the one above... but when you use this vendor's own search engine you get:

"You are here:Home > Search for "glassomizer"
We found 0 results matching your criteria."

I guess the search engine guys haven't figured this out yet.

Why did I write this... considering that there's a good chance it's already been done somewhere else? I'm bored, and this is self-entertainment. :p

Have fun... if you ain't, you ain't doin' it right.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
My therory is that ProTank started the confusion by naming it that. It's a cartomizer, not a tank. Glassomizer is another new term that started with the ProTank. I actually like the term and think it helps with some of the confusion.
Works for me Susie... I'll take almost any explanation at this point. For a brief period, I was getting kinda annoyed seeing Protank comments in both the tank and clearo forums, then I figured they're a bit of a odd duck in topper land and most folks are are pretty unclear about what they are.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why did I write this... considering that there's a good chance it's already been done somewhere else? I'm bored, and this is self-entertainment. :p

:D This -----> Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Primer on Juice Delivery Attachments

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3230-1-proper-terminology-carto-tank-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

I've been meaning to update and reorganize mine in some fashion. I originally made my blog article almost a year ago.

I presently consider a Vision Vivi Nova "tank" to be one of the top coil/top wicked clearomizers, no different than Innokin iTaste 16 & 30 clearomizers. I probably need to go into more detail in my blog concerning the difference between top and bottom coil clearos. I'll probably eliminate the Vivi Nova with its own category and include it with the clearomizers and add RBA's as a third category.

Historically, a "tank" referred to the original cartotanks. Then came clearomizers, and folks started labeling them tanks, too. Unfortunately, they are two different beasts and this fact adds to the confusion of rookies and veterans alike. The way I see it, the labels "cartotank" and "clearotank" should be the two main types of juice delivery devices, with clearos being further defined as either top or bottom coiled.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Funny Bad, but I forgot you even had written a serious guide. This was more tongue-in-cheek, and if there's any factual information in it, well... I'd be completely amazed. ;-)

I'd go back and delete it... 'cause although I'm completely sober, it's the closest to "drunk dialing" as I can get.

Ciao...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread