Status
Not open for further replies.

tater_salad

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
New york
Sorry for the wall of text but.... Here's my letter:

My smoking history / attempts to quit
I've smoked for the past 14 or so years, at around 17 it was occasional from older friends who had some could bum me one, later on I was a 1-2 pack a week smoker. I knew it was bad for me and I wanted to quit, especially as my first child was born. I was able to quit for about 1 month ro so several times, but stressful life events, the smell of smomeone smoking nearby or seeing someone smoke gave me cravings and eventually I gave in and would start the cycle of quitting and starting over and over again. I tried gum and cold turkey, and even an insurance / workplace smoking cesation program none really "fixed" the smoking problem for me. I was still anxious about not smoking and thought about it every day I wasn't, I had to fight with myself not to go to the gas station and pick up another pack. The one thing that I didn't try was chantix, even thoguh it's approved as a stop smoking aide have you seen the side effects, they're pretty scary.

Switching to e-cigarettes:
One day at work I saw someone with an e-cigarette at work and was intrigued. I did some research and found that although there are some unknowns the risks were most likely less than the 4000+ chemicals that are in a traditional cigarette. I was also happy to see that there were flavors that weren't tobacco (Fruits and drinks etc).. this could help me wean myself off of the taste / craving for the taste. I can say for sure that the "better" flavors helped me stop smoking completely; About a month in to my e-cigarette switch I asked to be given a cigarette of a brand that I had smoked before (I didn't crave but wanted to see if I would have that "eww gross" experience I had read about from other's experiences) I coulnd't finish it becuase the taste was so bad compared to what was now the norm for me. I also think that the ability to select a nicotine level that I wanted instead of being told / limited was also great I could regulate by starting at a level that was comfortable to me (no cigarette cravings) to when starting to where I am today, (2.4% to 1.2% sometimes I even grab a 0% at night).

With the help of E-cigarettes I have been able to completely stop smoking traditional cigarettes. I don't cough / sneeze / feel worne out like I use to. I feel like I have more energy, and am better rested and overall am healthier than I was 4 months ago. I also dont' feel the stress and anxiousness of planning smoke breaks and thinking every time I light up that I need to quit. I'm not sure when I'll quit e-cigarettes becuase they help satisfy the feeling of smoking (Hand to mouth, going outside with friends with a reason, inhaling something) but I feel that on my own time I'll be able to reduce the amount as I feel comfortable.

Because E-cigarettes helped me quit I"m asking for you to re-think the following:
Remove/ edit misleading text form your site regarding the cancer causing agents (Carcinogens) are in e-cigarette liqid. There is no mention that this is the same amount found in other products such as gum, or patches.

Do not propose the "deeming regulation". This would increase the cost and decrease avaliability of e-cigarettes. One of the prohibitive things for gum, losanges, patches is that they cost quite a bit more than e-cigarettes. At 4 months in I've spent around $160 including some trial and error. That MAY get me 4 weeks of gum / losnages / patches. One of the other driving reasons to swithcing to e-cigs is the savings over traditional cigs.

Please let Americans make their own decisions when it comes to quitting and let them review the risks and rewards instead of casting off or creating barriers methods that may work for some. The freedom of choice should be ours a There are several people who have made the switch and who have quit cigarettes completely. The ideal would have been not to start smoking at all.. but I feel that e-cigarettes are a viable solution for those looking to quit. It helped me and I'm happy that I came across them and educated myself on the risks and potential benefits. I know that if I hadn't istead of going outside to take some drags off of my e-cigarette today at work I would have been going outside

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Did it!!!! I just hope my comment actually went through on that system.

Posted a comment before New Years I think or the day of, not sure if it went in the system so I created a new comment as I could not find mine.

Let me keep this short and sweet. Electronic cigarettes have saved my life. They also helped better my mother's life a former 40 year smoker. Instead of my story let me paraphrase hers. All my childhood I remember my mother tried. Patches, gum, you name it, she tried it. Then my Dad got level 4 lung cancer. Somehow by the grace of his stubborn nature he lived and is still with us today. My mom tried to quit many times then too, with the stress of the hospital radiating my father's lung to death until they were burnt, and chemotherapy, she still kept smoking. Her husband of 25 years dying in front of her eyes still could not help her stop. Yet a little over a year ago I ended up using an electronic cigarette. My mother saw my sucess and it worked for her too. Now the smell of cigarettes is nauseating to her, shocked she use to smell like that. Now instead of being in-able to breathe sometimes during the night, my mother can sleep peacefully. Let there be alternatives. Study, in truth those alternatives, not in bias. People do not deserve to suffer the pain, the horror that is cancer not only on them but for all of their loved ones who must witness the anguish. My father is still damaged, 10 years later, from chemotherapy and radiation. Think of your loved ones. Your friends. There needs to be more support for reduced harm alternatives in America. The quit or die mentality is killing people. Will that blood be on your hands?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread