FDA CDC announces $212 million in grants to all 50 states to reduce chronic diseases, tobacco use and probably vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
CDC announces $212 million in grants to all 50 states to purportedly reduce chronic diseases, but CDC press release claims funds will be used to reduce “tobacco use” and falsely claims “tobacco use” is “leading preventable cause of death”. Thus, funds are likely to be spent protecting cigarettes by demonizing e-cigs and smokeless tobacco and by lobbying for e-cig and smokeless tobacco usage bans and marketing restrictions (just as state and local health departments unlawfully spent previous CDC grant funds).
HHS announces nearly $212 million in grants to prevent chronic diseases?
CDC - Chronic Disease - Funding Opportunities Announcements (lists funding recipients from all 50 states)

So expect CDC funding recipients to continue promoting the FDA deeming regulation, demonizing vaping, and lobbying for vaping bans and e-cig marketing restrictions.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So ANTZ are now rolling in almost Half Billion Dollars: $270 MM from FDA + $212 MM from CDC, all of which come from our pockets and will be used in their efforts to basically silence all of us and murder the 44 million American smokers.:mad:

This violates so many of the basic tenets that it isn't worth listing them.

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Congress had to pass legislation to get the CDC to stop pushing an anti-gun bias and agenda with tax payer funding. This isn't shocking at all to me. The CDC has never been about doctors and scientists relentlessly following science and research wherever it takes them, no matter if it takes them places they disagree with.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Congress had to pass legislation to get the CDC to stop pushing an anti-gun bias and agenda with tax payer funding. This isn't shocking at all to me. The CDC has never been about doctors and scientists relentlessly following science and research wherever it takes them, no matter if it takes them places they disagree with.

Center for Disease Control...

Purpose based on name, to control diseases.

Purpose based on action, make sure 10s of millions of Americans have higher chance of contracting/developing many many diseases as well as use their global recognition and influence to do the same worldwide.

I know, the CDC does do a lot of great work... but I think they get blinded at times like this.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
So ANTZ are now rolling in almost Half Billion Dollars: $270 MM from FDA + $212 MM from CDC, all of which come from our pockets and will be used in their efforts to basically silence all of us and murder the 44 million American smokers.:mad:

Worse than this, the $270m regulatory science funds are spread over 5 years but the $212m propaganda funds are just the first years funding and it's hard to find a government program that goes down in funding year to year.

I'll bet the nannies are partying hard right now knowing their jobs are safe.

:facepalm::evil::vapor:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
There's got to be a way that ecig researchers and organizations be the recipients of these grants also.

Grants have to be applied for.

There is quite a lot of work in submitting a grant application, let alone getting it approved, but I guess I need to ask:

Does anybody have a list of orgs who have submitted grants to either the state, the feds, etc.. I'm sure there are a number of privately funded grant sources as well for which different studies on ecigs/vaping would qualify....what about those?

Ecigs are certainly a worthy topic of study, but you know the saying "you can't win if you don't play". :_

I've written a few (smallish) grants and was surprised at how many there were out there that we qualified for at the time...it takes a while to find them as well, but once you do you can read the specs.

Min. time to write initial grant for state or fed is probably about 50 hours, usually way more though. Not quick n' easy money for sure.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Grants have to be applied for.

There is quite a lot of work in submitting a grant application, let alone getting it approved, but I guess I need to ask:

Does anybody have a list of orgs who have submitted grants to either the state, the feds, etc.. I'm sure there are a number of privately funded grant sources as well for which different studies on ecigs/vaping would qualify....what about those?

Ecigs are certainly a worthy topic of study, but you know the saying "you can't win if you don't play". :_

I've written a few (smallish) grants and was surprised at how many there were out there that we qualified for at the time...it takes a while to find them as well, but once you do you can read the specs.

Min. time to write initial grant for state or fed is probably about 50 hours, usually way more though. Not quick n' easy money for sure.
It's probably a little easier when they tell you "hey, we got $212 million if you're one of us" rather than "hey, we hate you and would like to decimate your industry".

EDIT: Disclaimer...
EDIT: I know the period goes inside the quotes, but I refuse to do so given that it is absurd and I am not a conformist.
EDIT: :)

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It's probably a little easier when they tell you "hey, we got $212 million if you're one of us" rather than "hey, we hate you and would like to decimate your industry".

I have the same problem re: your EDIT - many times it's more of a errant cursor but mainly just laziness.

As far as the substance.... this is how the 'intellectual elite' (who are neither intellectual nor elite) maintain their monopoly, whether it is in the form of grants, tenure, cartels, unions, guilds or by a country in a modern form of mercantilism.

Mercantilism: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I know the period goes inside the quotes, but I refuse to do so given that it is absurd and I am not a conformist.

Obviously! I've never won this particular battle, but sentences end with periods, question marks, and exclamation points. Not a close parenthesis.

There I go, off topic again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread