Clapton coil builds -- mixed Kanthal and Nichrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I'm tallying up everything I need for my next order of wire. I've dabbled with Clapton coils before, but only with Kanthal for both the core and the wrap, and I plan on trying Clapton coils and other more exotic builds more often that I have in the past.

But I see a lot of people mixing Kanthal and nichrome, but am not sure on what the best choice is -- Kanthal core with nichrome wrap, or nichrome core with Kanthal wrap?

Also, what is the best wrap wire gauge for 24 gauge and 26 gauge cores?

How much more wrap wire is generally needed for Clapton coils? If I order 100 feet of core wire, should I go with 250 feet or 500 feet of the wrap wire?

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Get 250 feet at a minimum. 100 feet will go way too fast.

I prefer faster heating wire for the core, Nichrome or SS 316L. Try 32ga at first, it is a nice balance of easy to work with for the wrap and nice coverage. As you gain practice, start moving to thinner wire. The only reason I will use Kanthal as a core will be for hitting a higher target resistance with less wraps.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Get 250 feet at a minimum. 100 feet will go way too fast.

I prefer faster heating wire for the core, Nichrome or SS 316L. Try 32ga at first, it is a nice balance of easy to work with for the wrap and nice coverage. As you gain practice, start moving to thinner wire. The only reason I will use Kanthal as a core will be for hitting a higher target resistance with less wraps.
Yep.
If you're using several cores and you need dual coils, you may need kanthal to get a high enough resistance to fire.
For standard fused 26, I like n80 core and 316l wrap....the size of the wrap is preferance and skill. 36 is all I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread