Status
Not open for further replies.
FDA PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: Sept. 9, 2010
Media Inquiries: Siobhan DeLancey, 301-796-4668, siobhan.delancey@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA acts against 5 electronic cigarette distributors
Agency cites unsubstantiated claims, poor manufacturing practices
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today issued warning letters to five electronic cigarette distributors for various violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA) including unsubstantiated claims and poor manufacturing practices.
Also today, in a letter to the Electronic Cigarette Association, FDA said the agency intends to regulate electronic cigarette and related products in a manner consistent with its mission of protecting the public health. The letter outlines the regulatory pathway for marketing drug products in compliance with the FDCA.
For a drug product to gain FDA approval, a company must demonstrate to the agency that the product is safe and effective for its intended use. The company must also demonstrate that manufacturing methods are adequate to preserve the strength, quality and purity of the product.
“FDA invites electronic cigarette firms to work in cooperation with the agency toward the goal of assuring that electronic cigarettes sold in the United States are lawfully marketed,” the letter to the association read.
FDA has determined that the electronic cigarette products addressed in the warning letters to the distributors, and similar products, are subject to FDA regulation as drugs. Under the FDCA, a company cannot claim that its drug can treat or mitigate a disease, such as nicotine addiction, unless the drug’s safety and effectiveness have been proven. Yet all five companies claim without FDA review of relevant evidence that the products help users quit smoking cigarettes.
The companies receiving warning letters today are: E-CigaretteDirect LLC, Ruyan America Inc., Gamucci America (Smokey Bayou Inc.), E-Cig Technology Inc. and Johnson’s Creek Enterprises LLC.
Certain companies received warning letters for additional reasons. For example, E-Cig Technology markets drugs in unapproved liquid forms, such as tadalafil, an erectile dysfunction drug, and rimonabant, a weight loss drug that has not been approved for use in the United States. These liquid pharmaceuticals are designed to refill cartridges used in e-cigarettes so that the drugs can be vaporized and inhaled.
The FDA cited Johnson Creek Enterprises, which markets Smoke juice, a liquid solution used to refill depleted cartridges in e-cigarettes, for several significant deficiencies in its manufacturing processes, including failure to establish quality control and testing procedures required under the FDCA.
For more information:
Letter to Electronic Cigarette Association (PDF - 39KB)
Questions and Answers
FDA Analysis of E-Cigarettes
Center for Tobacco Products
• Warning Letters:
- E-CigaretteDirect LLC
- Ruyan America Inc
- Gamucci America (Smokey Bayou Inc)
- E-Cig Technology Inc
- Johnson’s Creek Enterprises LLC

Source: FDA acts against 5 electronic cigarette distributors

I saw this article and thought I would share it. Feel free to edit or remove it. It may already be posted on the forum.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
GEEZ, I wish there was such a thing as class-action lawsuits here (in Nicaragua).

They´ve already banned imports and sales, based on the US FDA´s analysis.

What would really be great is if, in the article that is published in a peer-reviewed scientic journal regarding the air qualtiy testing of vapor, the author decides to expalin why his findings are so different from the FDAs. The explanation of course, is that the FDA's press release wasn't peer-reviewed before publication, and that any Toxicology Report that leaves out the quantitative analysis of the carcinogens detected is shoddy scientific reporting.

jtcaseyjr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Just ran across this thread. I'll post after taking time to review everyone's comments.

I do think the time for us average people to become politically active is long past due. This sentiment extends well beyond the issue of e-cigs.

Yeah I just saw this thread too. I think the time for us to just sit back and see how this plays out is over. The FDA made their move, and they are winning in the court of public opinion because we as a community are staying pretty silent on the issue overall.

Tom_E_Calm7

Jun 23, 2010
FL
yeah i just saw this thread too. I think the time for us to just sit back and see how this plays out is over. The fda made their move, and they are winning in the court of public opinion because we as a community are staying pretty silent on the issue overall.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shout loud and clear with your middle fingers held high...........nooooooooooooooooooo fda nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
It sure wouldn't hurt to have someone famous. We actually have Rush Limbaugh in the vaping corner. To win this we also need for EVERYONE to stay involved---even if it's just writing letters and signing petitions.
Please keep that in mind because most come, take up vaping (are gung-ho at first) and then they disappear never to be heard from again.
I even know a few that has disappeared that were very involved with the fight.

Odell

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
Ocala, Florida
www.acbio.com
Just ran across this thread. I'll post after taking time to review everyone's comments.

I do think the time for us average people to become politically active is long past due. This sentiment extends well beyond the issue of e-cigs.

A small bit of personal history...(I hope not too tedious):

I own a small company that repairs respiratory equipment for the home medical equipment industry. Five years ago the government started zealously "investigating" this industry. Their "investigation" complained about the widespread fraud in the industry and was a constant refrain through televised hearings and news releases. I won't debate the existence of fraud in the system (it exists). What I will say though is that the industry didn't defend itself, didn't get involved in refuting exaggerated claims from Medicare, didn't promote the value of keeping people in a home environment instead of a hospital or nursing home, and basically kept it's head in the sand. Last year Medicare reduced the amount that a company could rent equipment for by 20% gross. This year they implemented a program by which any company could bid to supply equipment no matter how low or unrealistic that bid may be. It also didn't matter if the company winning the bid had any experience renting the equipment or for that matter ever did business in the same state. This will have a devastating effect on this industry and the patients that rely on equipment to remain in their home. At a recent hearing the representative of Medicare said that this program will weed out fraud when in actuality it will decimate small business. But their premise started with fraud and it will now end with the same specious premise.

Everyone that feels they have a "dog in this fight" needs to RIGHT NOW start writing their representatives. Barrage them with your personal stories of success. Let them know that this technology should not be allowed to be defamed by a government agency whose information is predominately based conjecture and whose motivations may be less than honorable. If your doctor is sympathetic to ecigs see if he will back your play on this and write a letter him/herself. I watched the home health industry make the mistake of apathy and I am convinced that if we as a group don't start making our case before this goes any further, our ability to own and use this technology will vanish as fast as the vapor we now enjoy.

Did that sound preachy...sorry.

Odell

jtcaseyjr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
A small bit of personal history...(I hope not too tedious):

Everyone that feels they have a "dog in this fight" needs to RIGHT NOW start writing their representatives. Barrage them with your personal stories of success. Let them know that this technology should not be allowed to be defamed by a government agency whose information is predominately based conjecture and whose motivations may be less than honorable. If your doctor is sympathetic to ecigs see if he will back your play on this and write a letter him/herself. I watched the home health industry make the mistake of apathy and I am convinced that if we as a group don't start making our case before this goes any further, our ability to own and use this technology will vanish as fast as the vapor we now enjoy.

Did that sound preachy...sorry.

Odell

I wrote the below in another thread last night. But it's similar to what you are saying Odell:

You know one of the things that bothers me, is as a group of Vapors/Smokers, We talk a good game here in the forums, but none of us actually take any real action. Then we are left to wonder how it all fell apart. Smokers, Which most of us were at some point, got walked all over, because they were for the most part silent. I am in no way defending smoking as healthy or safe, Just making a point here. The same is going to happen to vaping. As the old saying goes talk is cheap, and we can rant and rave here in these forums, but how does that change public preception? We can't wait for someone to do it for us, because that is Not going to happen. If we don't come together as one voice, then we lose.

I don't mean just us as customers either. Those lists of Vendors that are on these pages, they need to start organizing too! They need to talk to each other and work together. I understand they are in competion, but soon there will be no buisness then they all lose. The ECA was a start, but it quickly fell apart. Something needs to replace it and soon.

I know there are people on here that say, its not that bad, it will be okay. They very well may be right, however they may be wrong too. I don't like our odds at the moment and we are losing in the court that really matters. The court of public opinion. Journalist like the one who wrote those articles know it, and believe me the FDA knows it too. If they get enough public outcry for regulation, they will use it as a mandate.

alnjessie

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Rock Hill, SC
to be simple.... follow the money. think of how much loot our well run government has lost since we all stopped paying $4.50 per pack in taxes. it's not about our health. it's not about standards. it's about money.

you nailed the hammer on the head...and the fact that once others try vaping they are going to lose a lot more

Odell

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
Ocala, Florida
www.acbio.com
What if we followed the money in another direction? What if we promoted the fact that health care would be less? What if Medicare reimbursements would fall if people weren't poisoning their lungs with cigarettes? Sure we can sit back in apathy and say "Follow the money, we are helpless against BP and BT", but what if that assumption is patently incorrect? We are helpless only in our apathy and resignation. I understand that this may sound like soap boxing, but it's frustrating to listen to comments that portray everything as hopeless because we are somehow underprivileged in our beliefs.

Just sayin...

Odell

Tampa2

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tampa
www.gatorvapor.com
What if we followed the money in another direction? What if we promoted the fact that health care would be less? What if Medicare reimbursements would fall if people weren't poisoning their lungs with cigarettes? Sure we can sit back in apathy and say "Follow the money, we are helpless against BP and BT", but what if that assumption is patently incorrect? We are helpless only in our apathy and resignation. I understand that this may sound like soap boxing, but it's frustrating to listen to comments that portray everything as hopeless because we are somehow underprivileged in our beliefs.Odell

Odell
As your neighbor (Tampa) I enjoy reading your posts. And I will assure you that sometimes Apathy is feigned. The FDA is living proof that we are living in a 1944 Governmental Regime that our fathers fought against. Sometimes there is too much talk & too much information given. By our figures, there are over 2 million of us vapors now. And that will be a loud voice once woken. Unless everyone stands silent while they get violated by the FDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread