Status
Not open for further replies.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Yes I did. And yes I have.
In fact it was a major contributor in helping me to sell the company and retire.
Registering a trademark costs less than an authentic mod. Couple hundred bucks.
Sending a C&D letter takes another hundred bucks if you want an attorney to write and send it.
It's not hard or expensive, if you are legit.

Patents on designs do cost a lot more, (few thousand) mostly due to the legal research involved in proving you own (actually, prove no one else owns) the rights.
I had several trademarks and a design patent.

You did not register an international trademark for a couple hundred bucks.
You did not send a C&D letter to a Chinese cloner for a hundred bucks.
You did not obtain patents in 196 countries for a few thousand.

I assume svoemesto is "legit" so they must lazy and or cheap.

Reactions: BrentMydland

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
You did not register an international trademark for a couple hundred bucks.
You did not send a C&D letter to a Chinese cloner for a hundred bucks.
You did not obtain patents in 196 countries for a few thousand.

I assume svoemesto is "legit" so they must lazy and or cheap.

I didnt need an international trademark.
Yes an attorney will send a legal letter for less than a few hundred bucks, depending on who you retain.
A CD letter usually works. Not always.
The US patent cost us around $8,000 in 1999 and took quite a while to get, if I remember correctly.
You are entirely off base in your assumptions.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
I didnt need an international trademark.
Yes an attorney will send a legal letter for less than a few hundred bucks, depending on who you retain.
A CD letter usually works. Not always.
The US patent cost us around $8,000 in 1999 and took quite a while to get, if I remember correctly.
You are entirely off base in your assumptions.

If you are an OEM modder you will need international protection and that is up to 196 separate patents (if applicable) and trademark registration.
If you wish to pursue an Chinese modder you need a lawyer licensed to practice law in China.

Reactions: BrentMydland

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
If you are an OEM modder you will need international protection and that is up to 196 separate patents (if applicable) and trademark registration.
If you wish to pursue an Chinese modder you need a lawyer licensed to practice law in China.

You cannot get a patent on a mod.
You can trademark your logo.

You don't need all that to protect a 500 unit run of mods.
You are mistaken on many levels, I just can't go any further.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I liikes clones although I have only a few of them. I Velocity mini clone although Velocity did not make a mini so is it really a clone? Says Tobeco on it not Velocity...
Then I have several clone 650 mah Evod batteries. And 3 tube mech clones. Only one has logo on it though.
The other 2 say nothing at all on them, but are quality Manhattan clones, better than origional.

That is all the rest are authentic. T3S, Evods, Subtank Mini, Lemo2, TFV4 mini, VTC minis, Kbox Mini's, Zamx's, T18, istick basic,GS Air tanks, etc.

Reactions: Yiana

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
You cannot get a patent on a mod.
You can trademark your logo.

You don't need all that to protect a 500 unit run of mods.
You are mistaken on many levels, I just can't go any further.

It depends on what new technology the mod has, and that is why I said "196 separate patents (if applicable) and trademark registration."
You need 196 separate trademark registrations for complete international protection.

A quick search suggests the minimum fee to register a trademark in Canada is around 425.00. It is good for 15 years then you pay again. All that gets you is the right to try and defend your trademark registration in a Canadian court.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It depends on what new technology the mod has, and that is why I said "196 separate patents (if applicable) and trademark registration."
You need 196 separate trademark registrations for complete international protection.

A quick search suggests the minimum fee to register a trademark in Canada is around 425.00. It is good for 15 years then you pay again. All that gets you is the right to try and defend your trademark registration in a Canadian court.

So.............. Is it expected a Manufacturer of limited edition product, say 500 Mods, is going to attempt to sell said mods in Every protected country in the world and should need protection to attain said sales?
Is it not logical for a manufacturer of these rare pieces to Protect against Clone/counterfeits being sold within the Borders of the country in which these Originals are being Produced?

1) Why would a minimal run manufacturer of Top quality Product even worry what goes on beyond their Borders?
2) Why would a Mass manufacturer or hundreds of thousands not spend the money to protect their investment.

It is on the Company, not us, to decide if they need to protect their product and how far they are willing to go.

Some will, some won't
o_O

The Yellow and Red Pictured(also Blue/Black) Called Simbase Stations. All sold as fast as I could produce them. Never intended to Mass produce. Never worried about Competition.
Last Batch produced all went to a Flight training center for Class simulators. :D
PICT0014 (Small).JPG

Wifes_SimBase (Mobile).JPG

Wife's in Racing configuration :cool: (huge monitor - been a while):lol:

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
So.............. Is it expected a Manufacturer of limited edition product, say 500 Mods, is going to attempt to sell said mods in Every protected country in the world and should need protection to attain said sales?
Is it not logical for a manufacturer of these rare pieces to Protect against Clone/counterfeits being sold within the Borders of the country in which these Originals are being Produced?

Perhaps you meant to reply to Bad Ninja, he is the one who seems to think trademark registration and patents will make any difference at all. Minimal runs and 500 units were added long after his statement the "legit" businesses registered trademarks and it offered protection.

Am I unknowingly speaking Chinese. :confused:

BTW your wife has a cool seat!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Perhaps you meant to reply to Bad Ninja, he is the one who seems to think trademark registration and patents will make any difference at all. Minimal runs and 500 units were added long after his statement the "legit" businesses registered trademarks and it offered protection.

Perhaps, long thread. :)
Patents - anything unique - Even a Switch Design for a Mech could be patented(could be)
Trademark - Smart regardless. Likely Protects Sales within Borders. Could mean a huge difference in available customer base.

Reactions: Woofer

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

I don't think.

I listed two specific recent examples in the vape industry where it actually happened.
Ignoring the facts doesn't make you right.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Perhaps, long thread. :)
Patents - anything unique - Even a Switch Design for a Mech could be patented(could be)
Trademark - Smart regardless. Likely Protects Sales within Borders. Could mean a huge difference in available customer base.

There are different types of patents.
To patent a mod or switch you would need a utility patent.
These are hard to get, because you
Must prove no one has made anything close to your invention.
You can't just tweak a common momentary switch and patent the design.
It doesn't work like that.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
There are different types of patents.
To patent a mod or switch you would need a utility patent.
These are hard to get, because you
Must prove no one has made anything close to your invention.
You can't just tweak a common momentary switch and patent the design.
It doesn't work like that.

Pssstttt............. Said Unique......and (Could be(possible)
Also spent many years in manufacturing environments. As well as my personal business for 23 years.;)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Pssstttt............. Said Unique......and (Could be(possible)
Also spent many years in manufacturing environments. As well as my personal business for 23 years.;)

Me too.
Some things have been in the public domain so long that they can't be patented.
Sure you could theoretically invent a radically different switching system, but a horn switch with a custom assembly isn't even close to patent eligible. It would have to be truely unique and never seen before.

We made tons of proprietary items that we couldn't patent.

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I looked into patents here in my country when I was still manufacturing. Apparently all you have to do change the dimensions by even just 1 cm and you are no longer infringing on an existing patent. Even smoothening the edges of a sharp corner will save you from infringement. I was advised to go for a trade dress patent.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I looked into patents here in my country when I was still manufacturing. Apparently all you have to do change the dimensions by even just 1 cm and you are no longer infringing on an existing patent. Even smoothening the edges of a sharp corner will save you from infringement. I was advised to go for a trade dress patent.

Depends on the type of patent.

There is a huge difference in obtaining a patent vs infringing on a patent.

Check out the Kayfun/Russian/KFL story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread