Cloud chasing and sub ohm foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.

carldamnit

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
East Texas Piney Woods
I have a 26 year relationship with electronics, actually longer if you count elective classes in high school.

What the HECK are you guys trying to do other than kill yourselves?

No reason that I know to go sub ohm for performance, look to ohms law, its all there.

If you use 2 wraps of 32 gage kanthal, guess what you get high current and burn the crap out of your wick and it will taste disgusting, or be short lived before tasting disgusting. This is not opinion, but easy to figure out.
So at 2 wraps you have minimal coil to wick contact, the coil is going to burn crazy hot, and ruin your wick, your battery, and worst case, your vented battery and ruin your mod.

How to do it better.

If you look to the devices on the market, 1.8-2.0 ohm is "low resistance" so go with that as safe.

If you are going single coil use lower resistance (smaller) kanthal to make more wraps on your coil. This should create more coil to wick contact and give more vapor. I am pretty sure that 1.5 to 2 amps is the sweet spot for vaping anything higher is just burnt taste no matter the volume of vapor.

If you are doing a dual coil setup, use higher resistance wire. A rule of thumb two identical resistances in parallel effectively half themselves. If you build two 3 ohm coils and put them in parallel they will effectively be 1.5 ohms. Two coils at 1.5 ohms should give you enough wick to coil contact to fill a room with vapor.

Just my 2 cents.

If you don't understand electricity, it will bite you.

Vape on my brothers and sisters!

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
No one does 2 wraps of 32 gauge for subohm. For the exact reasons you stated -- it doesn't work. With subohm you are going for coil and wick mass increase. If you DID do 2 wraps of 32 for subohm you would not even come close to venting your battery because you would not vape it for more than a few seconds before realizing it doesn't work.

Subohm isn't necessarily dangerous, but being uneducated about it might be. Insomuch as many anti-subohm folks come from the standpoint of lack of education, it's not really a great thing either.

You have to understand what subohm is if you are going to comment on it, otherwise you aren't doing much good.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Not the place for this

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I think you should do some more research before you toot that horn because you are not describing what anybody dose.

There is nothing wrong with Sub Ohm vaping if you get the batteries that will handle the amp load and a well built mechanical mod.

By not making an informed argument you have the opposite affect. So lets not tell people what they should and should not do but rather help them do it safely.

If you find it to be undesirable then you dont have to do it. My question for you is have you set up a Sub OHM jeny or atty with proper air flow and battery's and a mod capable of handling the current?

If you have not then how do you know if its bad?

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
It's just one of the hobby aspects of vaping. Tuners like to mod their cars, a gardener may want the biggest pumpkin, a vaper may want the highest wattage vape. A tuner engine may blow up due to over advanced timing, a pumpkin can be too big to put on the front porch and a 50 watt vape may be too hot to enjoy. Doesn't matter.

I like my 7.5 watts with a 2.0 ohm single coil carto. But, that doesn't keep me from doing other extreme things like building a .25 watt red laser pointer from scratch just because I can and because you can't buy one legally that's more than .05 watts. Is the laser safe? No. Do I care? No.

AquaJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Northeast, Pa
If you are going single coil use lower resistance (smaller) kanthal to make more wraps on your coil. This should create more coil to wick contact and give more vapor. I am pretty sure that 1.5 to 2 amps is the sweet spot for vaping anything higher is just burnt taste no matter the volume of vapor.

If you are doing a dual coil setup, use higher resistance wire. A rule of thumb two identical resistances in parallel effectively half themselves. If you build two 3 ohm coils and put them in parallel they will effectively be 1.5 ohms. Two coils at 1.5 ohms should give you enough wick to coil contact to fill a room with vapor.

I think you have that backwards?

Thicker wire = lower resistance

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Noob sub ohm vapor who doesn't know what Ohm's Law is, doesn't own a multimeter, and didn't use the right batteries.

"I just wanted MORE VAPOR."

Who is this mythical subohm noob? I don't think that person actually exists, it's just some made-up target for "experienced" vapers to feel high and mighty.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I noticed only guys really do the sub ohms. Does it have do with (cough) shortcomings maybe? Like how some guys buy exotic cars to offset something.

It's the new Extreme Sports category of vaping. It will be an official Olympic Sport in the next World Olympics. Who's going for the gold?

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Who is this mythical subohm noob? I don't think that person actually exists, it's just some made-up target for "experienced" vapers to feel high and mighty.

Unfortunately they exist. Im constantly helping some of these kids get going down the right path when they start experimenting. They see a youtube video and go off half cocked with little to no information.

The sad thing is they make a post asking questions and they get allot of opinionated dribble and little or know information they are seeking. If you dont know what they are asking about why post any answer at all? Or at least have the since to point them to places they can get the info they seek.

Or we have a post like the OP made that really dose not make much sine. We know the OP is a self proclaimed electronics expert and he/she dose not think much of sub OHM vaping. I can whole heartedly agree 2 wraps of 32 guage on a silica wick dose not sound enjoyable.

But this is not sub ohm vaping I have no idea what the op is describing but he/she is most defiantly showing us what not to do so the post has it porpoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread