Coil built but flavor lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkflydxx

Jan 1, 2014
Kentucky
I recently built my first coil for a Kanger MT3 style coil head. After my 2nd attempt I was able to get 2.42 ohms. (Kanthal 32g wire with 2.5 silica wick and a flavor wick on top). After testing it with a couple of short burns to get wick clean, I installed it in tank. It gave me good vapor, but the flavor of the juice was not as pronounced as one of my "store bought" coil head replacements. I am not sure if the wrap is too tight/loose or something else. Any ideas on what might be the issue here?

Also - is there a good way to use a multimeter - or other means - to check for shorts of the coil wire(s)? (i.e. to make sure that the 2 coil wires are not incorrectly making contact with the base)?

Thanks for your help.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
A stock head uses 2 or 2.5mm silica with couple 1mm floating wicks. If you used 2.5mm as your top floater, you've got 5mm wick in a 3mm channel and choking the wicking down. Another possibility is you wrapped your wire to tight around the inner wick and again choking your wicking action down. Also remember, that much wick in that cup restricts airflow which decreases flavor and vapor production, nor do you need a flavor wick on top, they are mainly there to prevent flooding, so maybe try 2mm with 2 1mm flavor wicks or a 3mm with no flavor wicks.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I tried a double 2mm 1.6 ohm wrap on a Kanger Protank head yesterday just to see what happened. When I inserted it into the cup I knew that airflow would be compromised ... and it was. Draw wasn't bad, but flavor was nothing to write home about.

I still haven't optimized my technique enough to make me do my own wraps instead of just buying factory heads. I've found that using a large needle parallel to the wick, wrapping, and then pulling the needle out is my best and fastest method.

If I made $1 for each one I did, I'd starve to death. I'm sure there's some Chinese guy with a custom jig who could make $50 an hour at that rate. :)

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
pinkflydxx:11769199 said:
I am going to try different wick size options and see what works best for my set up.

Lol. Pinkflydxx, I just posted on your previous thread on flooding on mt3. Something to add here,

I use cotton as the main wick, and never had much luck with cotton as flavor wicks. It wicks TOO WELL, leading to flooding.

With silica as flavor wicks, sometimes it gets out of position during to my "aggressive" sucking. This leads to flooding.

For me, it's cotton as main wick and ekowool or butchers twine as flavor wicks as they do not "move" that easily due to my sucking on the delivery device.

This is just my opinion and what works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread