Coil Wrap Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayTaylorNC

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2014
United States
So I have been wraping for quite a while, I'd say 6 months or so. And I usually stick to the same exact pattern each time. I use 28g Kanthol, and wrap 6 or 7 full rounds, around a precise screwdriver (i think it's 5/16). Now, the pattern I do is wrap the coils as close together as possible 6-7 times, then take coil off the bit, then pinch and torch for about ten seconds. Then trim ends, and secure to my device. After that, I pulsate another few times (some may say it' unneeded but it's habbit). After that I check ohm's and it's ALWAYS between .6 and .9. Which I am not complaining about, but it seems strange. When using the coil building calculator app, it says in order to get to .7ohm using a single coil setup, only to use 2 full wraps of one coil..... I don't get it. Although I am happy 85 percent of the time, I'm sure yall can agree it's frustrating.

The build on my kayfun seems to always burn the wick way too fast, like its hotspotting a certain area of the coil intermittently. Sometimes it works great for 2 days, then either burns too fast or not enough the next day. And for my Trident, it's the same. It will either put out a ton of power, or barley any at all. Then when I go to my local B&M, and they have the same coil builds and are blowing much bigger clouds than what mine is producing.

I have several mods to test these one, but the main one I use is my Cana DNA30. Any help is appreciated!

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
That coil is a bit big. I calculate that a a 7mm dia. You may want to go with 2-2.5mm dual coils. Also when you pack the wick which i will assume is cotton don't cover the juice holes. Best build i have found has been a .5 ohm build with two duals 28ga 6 wraps. When you put the cotton in the coils don't stuff it in. less is more in cotton. Also like ii said don't stuff to much cotton in the juice trays and don't cover the holes. One last note if your vaping high VG the juice flow will be slower and you can''t use more wattage than the juice flow will accommodate. Each juice is diff depending on pg/vg ratio.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
SNIPPED---The build on my Kayfun seems to always burn the wick way too fast, like its hotspotting a certain area of the coil intermittently. Sometimes it works great for 2 days, then either burns too fast or not enough the next day. And for my Trident, it's the same. It will either put out a ton of power, or barley any at all. Then when I go to my local B&M, and they have the same coil builds and are blowing much bigger clouds than what mine is producing. I have several mods to test these one, but the main one I use is my Cana DNA30. Any help is appreciated!

Ditto to Steve. Please carefully examine this pic and note that the wick is laying on the "ledge" and never obstructs the juice channels. You want your wick to touch the ledge and this requires that you saturate the wick with juice before you install the chimney. I just use a drop down kinda wick but again it just touches the ledge. Finally, after the wick is saturated and cut, then and only then due I install the chimney. I do NOT install the chimney and then cut the wick and stuff it down. Sure, lots of vids that due this but for me, I get far more consistent and long term results doing it my way.

wick-placement-on-kayfun.jpg

Also check the distance of your coil from the air hole. About 2 MM will be fine. Finally, see my blog for more pics to study at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...en-mere-mortals-like-me-can-build-kayfun.html

HTH

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread