RDA Coils turning orange? Help?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Marshall

Feb 21, 2015
Hey been building for a few months now using 28-30 gauge dual coils.

Recently started building twisted 26 and it seem like the coils are turning orange and my juice tastes weird anyone expierencing this and know what the cause is? Or any recommendations on a good build for flavour I'm using both the freakshow authentic and baal clone.

I seem to be having more issues with the baal but it's happening with the freakshow aswell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
let me understand a bit more
are they orange while firing or are they orange always as in rust?,

if it's when firing then they aren't wicking
if they are always like that seems to me that it isn't a normal wire (nichrome, kanthal or stainless steel) and you should avoid using it anymore.

but before you trow it out let's make a test... take a few inches and put them into a glass with water, let's see if it rusts

HardCoil

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Malaysia
This is dangerous! A friend of mine got a nasty knock-off on 26g wires. Claimed it was kanthal but its not. If u throw em in water and leave for a few hours it starts to have rusty spots and the water starts to be a little rusty. But when he has it in his juice all wicked up there is no rust but his vape tastes funny, to me very difficult to tell if its rust or not but defo funky taste. He says its the way the juice is made. I doubt it. Told him to throw it all out and made him use my 28 nichrome. Now he understands.

But in your case bro, it might be your screw or the wire but since you said it happens from both your baal clone and freakshow , its either the wire or the juice. If its the juice that is changing color from clear/lighter color to darker color maybe your wattage/voltage is too high for that ohm set and it burns the cotton a little and it stains the juice and/or the coils are too hot and it burns the juice too fast so you get this gunky/crusty/caramelized sugarlike by product from the heating. My advice, check your wire's material, then check your coiling, check your wick, maybe your cotton placing is not sufficient so the juice gets there but it kinda didnt fill up all the nooks and crannies, maybe in the coil its too packed, or the tails are too packed, or the middle its packed and the outer is puffy. Its difficult to tell right away unless you could post some pics of it. All in all, stay safe bro...

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Surprisingly (or not) you can get the best quality Kanthal and Nichrome 80 wire made AND the best prices direct from Temco --and they ship fast and usually free.

IDK if you care but it's all US made wire as well.

Also..to your problem: Is it the screws or the wire? If the screws look clean with no rust on the tops or threads of them then it's the wire (unless your entire atty is rusting then nevermind)

RUSTY wire is no good obviously--I'd have to say that it's poor quality AKA "Cheap" wire that your B&M got a "deal" on figuring they could make money on it.

Personally, I run nothing but Temco Nichrome 80 these days...80% Nickle and 20% Chrome--NO rust here ;)

*Edit* BTW...Wire size has absolutely NOTHING to do with this issue.

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I think you mite have a coating of burned on ejuice and some discoloration due to the high temperature of a basic coil as it heats up.

With a coating of eliquid applied to the screws and coil most of the time I really don't see how you could be getting any rust.......just my thoughts.......

YMMV---your mileage may vary..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread