Not open for further replies.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
BBC News - Columbo star Peter Falk dies aged 83

Peter Falk, the American actor most famous for his role as TV's scruffy detective, Columbo, has died at the age of 83.
The actor died peacefully at home in Beverly Hills on Thursday night, his family said in a statement.
He had been suffering from dementia for a number of years.
Peter Falk won four Emmys for his cigar-chomping role as the deceptively bumbling Columbo, and was nominated for Oscars in 1960 and 1961.

The end of an era. Really great actor.
RIP

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
The thing I love about Columbo is how you know the murderer before the prologue is even finished, the whole film revolves around how he is going to prove it. He usually knows who the murderer is after five minutes anyway, and spends the whole film spinning a web to trap the dastardly criminal in. Wonderful stuff, real 'cluedo' type detective drama. I will never tire of watching them, even though the murderer is always a well known star anyway lol. You see Roddy McDowell or similar in the credits, you know they did it. But how will he prove it?

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
The thing I love about Columbo is how you know the murderer before the prologue is even finished, the whole film revolves around how he is going to prove it. He usually knows who the murderer is after five minutes anyway, and spends the whole film spinning a web to trap the dastardly criminal in. Wonderful stuff, real 'cluedo' type detective drama. I will never tire of watching them, even though the murderer is always a well known star anyway lol. You see Roddy McDowell or similar in the credits, you know they did it. But how will he prove it?

Agree completely. Columbo was always about Columbo, never a who-done-it. Never a mystery, always a detective show. L&O Criminal Intent is the only show that has ever gotten close to that feel. I think Spielberg got his start on a columbo episode (maybe the one with Spillane?)
Falk had many other great roles, from his early work in Murder Inc., to later small roles in Wings of Desire and Princess Bride. Or even later like in Made.
Some of his is best roles are probably in Cassavetes films like Woman under the Influence, or Husbands.
For a fun forgotten one, check out Machine Gun McCain.

I'm just glad I got to watch this guy's work for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread