Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I currently use 18 mg of nic.. Mostly for the throat hit. But now I understand that the amount of PG actually adds to the throat hit?
Actually pg enhances flavor and vg creates more of the vapor. Throat hit is usually from the nic itself. Some of the vendors nic has a more peppery taste to it hence the throat hit. Some of the vendors offer a smoother nic because a lot of vapers prefer it and like no taste at all in their nic. Neither is wrong its just a preference.
So lets use your 18mg/ml as an example. You could buy nic @ 18mg/ml from a number of vendors and some of them will even do a 50/50 pg/vg mix for you. But by doing that when you add flavoring to it, then the actual nic strength will go down a bit. If that works ok for you on starting out then its ok to use this. If you want to maintain the 18 mg/ml in your finished ejuice to vape, then you need some higher nic to accomplish that.
If you buy a higher nic base in pg or vg, then you will need to adjust the amount of your nic, pg, vg to get where you want to be.

Make sense? Let us know what recipe you would like to make and we can go from there.
:)

Reactions: kas122461

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
So if I buy nicotine with a VG base, and I want a 50 50 mixture of pg/vg in the final product, would that mean I just add 50 to the final product and no vg?..... Geesh. Years from now, I'll look back at my posts and say "what a noooob"

Same question, same answer. NO!

Did you look at the screen shot of the calculator? Seriously, did you?

Like I typed earlier, you only add a very little Nic. so the amount of either VG or PG that is in it is negligible. You will still need to add straight VG and/or Pg to hit your numbers.

You need to buy all three unless you always do max VG.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I have not bought anything yet. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.. lol

Just as an example so you can see a few things, i buy a big bottle of 72mg nic, big bottle of vg and a big one of pg, whatever you can afford, obviously the more you buy the cheaper it will work out per ml etc
i vape
50/50
4mg nic
6% flav

2.22ml of 72% nic
15.3ml pg
20ml vg
2.4ml flavour

and make 40ml a time for my 50ml bottles so when i get to 10ml or less in the bottle i have room..

HarpoM

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
oak view california
Same question, same answer. NO!

Did you look at the screen shot of the calculator? Seriously, did you?

Like I typed earlier, you only add a very little Nic. so the amount of either VG or PG that is in it is negligible. You will still need to add straight VG and/or Pg to hit your numbers.

You need to buy all three unless you always do max VG.

I did, and I understand what to do now.. Thanks so much Shay

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I did, and I understand what to do now.. Thanks so much Shay

Your ejuice calculator should have fields where you can enter the strength of your nic base and the amount of pg/vg in the nic base. There's also places to enter the base additives in your flavoring. Those amounts in the nic base and flavoring usually don't make that much of a difference in the final mix because they are small amounts compared to the total mix.

That said, if you were to mix a juice that's 100% PG or VG, you would want to use nic that matches your preference. For example, to make a juice that's 100% pg you need nic and flavors that are 100% pg. Nic comes in mix choices of 100% PG or VG, 75/25 25/75, or 50/50 PG or VG, and various other options depending on the manufacturer.

Pick the nic base mix that matches your preference in the final juice mix. If you want 100% VG juice, you wouldn't want your nic base to be mixed in a PG base. That could shift your mix the wrong way, although the nic base percentage of the total mix is not that high. It's just something to consider.

HarpoM

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
oak view california
Thanks Dave for your response. That actually now makes complete sense.
I tried using the Liquix android app, but for some reason, I could not figure out how to convert the ml into grams, as I think that's going to be the way I do it, instead of using syringes and milliliter measurements.
I really appreciate all the help

Darren

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The conversions for flavors is 1:1. At least that is what most of us use. Almost all calculators list both the ml and the grams so we usually do not have any adjustments to make in that regard. i.e. if it is 1 ml then it is 1 gram, so if a recipe requires 5 ml of flavoring then you also know it is 5 grams on the scale.

If you are measuring nic it is NOT 1:1 because of the strength of what is in 1 ml. i.e. 100 mg/ml is equal to 10%. If you want to see the math on the conversion of nic, just ask and most members here can answer that question.
:)

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks Dave for your response. That actually now makes complete sense.
I tried using the Liquix android app, but for some reason, I could not figure out how to convert the ml into grams, as I think that's going to be the way I do it, instead of using syringes and milliliter measurements.
I really appreciate all the help

Darren

Take a look at the eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator juice calculator app. It supports mixing by weight and it is widely used here on ECF. It will take into account the PG and VG in your nicotine base and other juice components.

Click TOOLS and GRAMS SET to enter the gram weight equivalents equal to 1ml for Nic, PG, VG, Water, and Flavoring, and then it enables the weight column that tells you how many grams to add for each component of the juice.

Go here to find the gram equivalents for the mix components.
Botboy141 Guide to Mixing By Weight • /r/DIY_eJuice

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
If we are plugging calculators; I would recommend an ECF member's work found in the first post here (link will be to most current version). It has a similar feel to Juice me Up but goes far beyond it and has great author and community support. It is as simple as EJMU for the beginner but offers some really nice features for the user to grow into if so desired. I went through EJMU and Juice grinder before I found @HotRod19579 's calculator. I have never considered going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread