Confusion about voltage and Protank 3 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhenson22

Aug 12, 2014
Devon
Hi all,

I only just started vaping, end of first week actually. My Protank3 mini I am using came with a 1.5 Ohm coil that I was setting my voltage to between 3.3 and 3.8V, normally midway. I just swapped out the coil for one of the spares I bought so I could switch flavour without waiting for the wicks to dry. The new ones are 2 Ohm. Now, I understand all the Ohm's law jazz, but I am finding this coil harder to work with. I check a chart for advised voltages and at 2 oHm it advised that the optimum voltage for that resistance would be 3.0 - 3.4V?! This really gives me nothing, so I have turned up the voltage to 3.8-4.1 and it seems a bit better, although I do feel like I am having to take longer puffs than with the 1.5 Ohm coil, and I am hesitant to put the voltage any higher.

Basically, my questions are :

How high can I go with this resistance, and what are the downsides of operating at a higher voltage?
Is there really a definitive optimum voltage range that a particular resistance coil should be set at?

Cheers !

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Watts is what you need to consider when changing from one coil to the next.

Lets say you were real happy with your 1.5 ohm coil when fed 3.6v ... Well, 3.6v fed into a 1.5 ohm coil = 8.6 watts

If you change to a 2.0 ohm coil, you will still want 8.6 watts (you were happy with that before) ... But in order to get 8.6 watts from your new 2.0 ohm coil, you will now need to feed it 4.2v

Use this very simple "Ohms Law" calculator: Ohm's Law Calculator

(Don't concern yourself with "amps" at this point ... just enter the ohms of your coil, and how many watts you like to vape at ... then it will tell you how many volts it will take to achieve that many watts)

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Elvis is right in the fact that there is no definitive answer, but if you are real satisfied using 3.6 volts with your 1.5 ohm coil .... but, then you switch to a 2.0 ohm coil .... you will get the same results by increasing your voltage to 4.2 (as per the Ohms Law Chart) I posted.

My method just makes it easy for the guy that all of a sudden needs to switch to a different ohm coil in the same clearomizer, but wants the same vape results as he had before the switch to the new resistance coil.

AtherisDubs

Jul 10, 2014
United States
It all depends on your battery. Batteries have what's called an amp limit which is the amount of current that the battery can safely produce. The current needed by your atomizer is determined by I=V/R. Generally with the ego style batteries they have a safety chip in them and if the current the atomizer would pull is above the amp limit it won't fire. If you're using stock coils, you battery will be able to handle it.

edited for typo

nhenson22

Aug 12, 2014
Devon
Thanks everyone for the help. Comforting to know I don't need to be too concerned about how high I turn the voltage.
I feel like I have gone through the juice really quickly though, I am prob just imagining that though and it is because I have been playing around with it today!

I take it running at higher voltage will obviously drain the battery quicker, but should not make a difference to how long juice lasts if the power output works out the same as before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread