Difference between Kanger SSOCC coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to follow up on the order I referred to above from VapeNW...

Wow, stay away from this place!

They were the only place I found that you could actually select "stainless steel" as an option for the SSOCC coils (other choices were Ni200, etc.) So I figured I would either get the stainless steel coils or they would tell me they weren't available/were on backorder or something. Instead they sent me the Nichrome ones (red ring, "NC" in the coil.) They were the new 3 hole variety for those that care. I actually tried to return them since I clearly selected "stainless steel" as the type for the SSOCC, it says the coil type is "stainless steel" on my order form, and these are clearly not the stainless steel variety of the SSOCC coil.

I noticed the coils were the wrong ones right away and didn't open them. You'd think easy return, right? Nope - They've been giving me the runaround for days. After I ordered them, they must have realized they made a mistake - They acknowledged changing the website to remove the stainless steel option (they did this a few days after my order.) They insist the coils are Kanthal (which or course is wrong, they are nichrome, but that has nothing to do with anything), and that they are what I ordered. How can a vendor admit to changing their website to remove the item you ordered after you ordered it, replace it with another item, acknowledge that the order form you have says you ordered the variety they removed, and refuse to take the misrepresented item back?

Anyway, if you go to VapeNW, they presently have the following options for the Kanger SSOCC coil: Kanthal, Ni200, and Clapton. Based on the informative link above from vaporauthority and my conversations with Kanger themselves, the options should instead be: Nichrome, Ni200, and Clapton (with Kanthal). VapeNW won't even acknowledge they still have it wrong...

I've now given up on trying to find the Kanger stainless steel SSOCC coils (pink O ring, "SS" etched on the coil) and found a disreputable vendor I'll never do business with again. I don't think anyone currently has the Kanger stainless steel SSOCC coils. I'm going to move on and try a different brand of tank/coils.
Wow do u not have a local vApe shop that u like?i have found that once you find a good one and do repeat business (I've actually become pals w mine) they are willing to go the extra mile and hook you up with whatever you need wether they have to go through a pain to get it or not, once I was established w them they also gave me some free coils just because I bought a pack

JackdawFool

Mar 7, 2011
CT
The topbox comes with a 0.15 ni200 and a .5 ohm nichrome coil. They used to have SS stamped on the heads to signify stainless steel construction, not wire. I believe they removed that because it was causing confusion. I haven't looked at the ones I got from VapeNW. They are the new style 3-hole though. I have not heard of anyone receiving ss wire heads in their topbox "kit".

Where are you getting this info? I've spoken with Kanger and they say the coil with the pink O ring that is stamped "SS" and is included with the topbox mini kit and the toptank mini are stainless steel wire. The box and instructions say this coil is for "stainless steel temperature control." I received one of these pink SS coils with my topbox and one with my toptank.

This link does well to explain the differences between the Kanger coils: Clearing Up the Confusion About The Kanger SSOCC Coils

Here is a picture of one of my SS coils beside an NC coil. Further, the SS coil works properly in SS temp control mode, whereas the NC coil does not. And vice versa. Thus, I think it's for certain that the SS coil is really SS wire. But if you have a reliable source of different information, please fill me in!

Attachments

• coils.jpg
    coils.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 170

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
Anyway, if you go to VapeNW, they presently have the following options for the Kanger SSOCC coil: Kanthal, Ni200, and Clapton. Based on the informative link above from vaporauthority and my conversations with Kanger themselves, the options should instead be: Nichrome, Ni200, and Clapton (with Kanthal). VapeNW won't even acknowledge they still have it wrong...

I've now given up on trying to find the Kanger stainless steel SSOCC coils (pink O ring, "SS" etched on the coil) and found a disreputable vendor I'll never do business with again. I don't think anyone currently has the Kanger stainless steel SSOCC coils. I'm going to move on and try a different brand of tank/coils.

You are exactly right. Kanthal shouldn't even be an option over there as they don't offer Kanthal coils other than their semi new Claptons. It should be Nichrome, NI200 and Clapton (with kanthal).

I've personally come to the conclusion as well that the SS SSOCC's just haven't been released from Kanger yet. I guess they just wanted to tease us with the SS coil in our kit. @JackdawFool if you ever find these please let us all know.

Now shouldn't Kanger be releasing the TI and NC coils as well? Not the Red NC coils for VW mode, I mean Nichrome for TC mode. After all, there are modes for both of them as well.. I don't get it either man.:unsure:

Also thanks for the heads up about that site. I pretty much have done all my shopping from www.sweet-vapes.com and www.myvaporstore.com

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Where are you getting this info? I've spoken with Kanger and they say the coil with the pink O ring that is stamped "SS" and is included with the topbox mini kit and the toptank mini are stainless steel wire. The box and instructions say this coil is for "stainless steel temperature control." I received one of these pink SS coils with my topbox and one with my toptank.

This link does well to explain the differences between the Kanger coils: Clearing Up the Confusion About The Kanger SSOCC Coils

Here is a picture of one of my SS coils beside an NC coil. Further, the SS coil works properly in SS temp control mode, whereas the NC coil does not. And vice versa. Thus, I think it's for certain that the SS coil is really SS wire. But if you have a reliable source of different information, please fill me in!

You may want to talk to Kanger again. I believe that they are no longer producing the SS wire coils at all. No one has them in stock and Kanger themselves have removed them from their web page.

JackdawFool

Mar 7, 2011
CT
You may want to talk to Kanger again. I believe that they are no longer producing the SS wire coils at all. No one has them in stock and Kanger themselves have removed them from their web page.
Oh no, I hope that's not the case. What's your source for the belief that they are not producing them? Or do you just believe that because they're not for sale anywhere and not on Kanger's website?

If it's the latter, then that's good because:
1. They've never been for sale anywhere.
2. They've never been on Kanger's website.

So that would equally support them just not being made available yet. But if you have more info regarding this, I'd really appreciate it!

JackdawFool

Mar 7, 2011
CT
Here's a picture of the box for my topbox mini kit. #4 makes it pretty clear what the coil is, I think. The same pink coil labeled "SS" came with my spare toptank as did with the topbox kit. Both coils work properly in temperature control mode for stainless steel. I don't have the box for the toptank handy, but I thought it said basically the same thing... Maybe not.

Don't you have the pink coil labeled "SS"? Do you have some reason to believe what Kanger said about that coil and what is reported at that "clearing up the confusion" link above is wrong? Looking for any additional info about this if you have it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160316_155208.jpg
    20160316_155208.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 93

JackdawFool

Mar 7, 2011
CT
Looking at the different reviews you may or may not have an included stainless steel (pink rubber) head
I can't seem to find any reviews from anyone that say they didn't get the SS coil. In fact, I'm not seeing any review of the toptank mini at all (it's only been around a few months, so you don't have to look back far.) Can you link to a specific review that talks about this, rather than just the entire reviews section of the site?

We looked in all the toptank mini boxes at my local store a few days ago, and they all had the pink SS coil in the box. Are you saying you instead got a red nichrome coil in your box? Maybe if you are the only person that didn't get a pink SS one, someone swapped yours out? It almost wouldn't surprise me... These coils are really good, and you can't get them any other way (yet).

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Be careful if you guys are buying the Toptank separately. I can't even get the ....ing screw out of the RBA! I'd really like to ring the neck of the chinese man who tighted this screw. It's now stripped and Now I have to ....ing return the entire tank because of this BS.

I'm ....ing livid and seriously considering leaving Kanger for good. I have never been so frustrated in all my life over a tiny ....ing screw that wont budge and that alone makes the entire purchase worthless to me. I'm sending it back and keeping the SS coil. Dare Sweetvapes gives me any lip over it either.:-x

Nice going kanger, it's bad enough you guys have to print everything so small the average american needs to use a magnifying glass to read your manuals and your etching on the side of your coils. Jesus H. Christ I'm ......!

Back to Sweetvapes you go and I'll be keeping your SS coil as well ON PRINCIPLE ALONE Kanger..

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
To top it off, I got my SS coil reading at 0.65! My Nickle is reading at 0.25 when it should be 0.15!!!

I AM ABSOLUTELY DONE WITH KANGER and they won't be getting another red cent from me. NONE OF THESE COILS ARE READING RIGHT! NONE OF THEM except the old claptons and nichrome coils. I even plugged those coils into my kbox mini mod and while it doesn't read tenths of a percent, it is giving the the same reading as 6.

If Kanger cant even build their own coils right, I'm not buying them anymore. If I pay for a 5 pack of the new SSOCC Nickle coils, I expect them to read the proper ohms. If you ask me, I think I'm just going to stop using TC altogether once these are gone and start building the RBA with Kanthal instead.

I almost got an RX200 instead of the 2nd Kanger kit, and although I know I would be complaining about juice consumption with any of the popular tanks for that mod, I don't think I'd be dealing with improper builds with premade coil heads on the Crown or the TF4.

Sorry for the rant, but I honestly had to vent. I really want to know if anyone else using the SS or NI coils get these readings. In the meantime I decided to keep the tank as I already have the Original RBA plus with the bigger juice holes anyhow as well as another RBA plus that came with my toptank kit. I'm also vaping some Swamp Thang from Ruthless Juice and it's absolutely fantastic on this brand new SS coil despite it reading at 0.65.

I guess I'll just deal with the loss of that RBA unless my local shop can get that screw off.

Last edited:

JackdawFool

Mar 7, 2011
CT
Just to follow up on my experience with VapeNW: After filing a complaint with the better business bureau, starting a chargeback with my cc company, and exchanging quite a few more emails, they did finally issue me a full refund. They also let me keep the incorrect coils. Shouldn't have been anywhere near so difficult, but at least they did do the right thing in the end.

Reactions: drysprocket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread