DIY "Happy Rancher" flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls2erin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Hello ECF! It's been many years since I have posted here, but have been reading and learning on and off throughout that time. I am new to DIY, but I am at the point where I am ready to start ordering the things I need to get started. My all time favorite is Happy Rancher 50/50 PG/VG with 2 flavor shots from Mt. Baker. When I try DIY, I want to replicate this flavor as much as possible, and your help in doing so would be greatly appreciated!

My questions are:
1) Mt. Baker only sells their flavoring in 15ml bottles. According to my calculations, this is not nearly enough to make a batch of 236ml of eliquid, which is what I usually order from them at a time. Is this batch too large for me to make at one time, or is the 15ml of flavoring abnormally small for DIY?

2) I've read that they get their flavorings from Flavorwest, but I couldn't find a flavor from them in the same name. Does anyone know which flavor this actually is and where it's from? Is it a combination of flavors that Mt. Baker came up with?

3) Mt. Baker posted on their website that "Each added flavoring shot is approximately 5% of the total bottle size". I am not sure what percentage of flavoring they start at though before flavor shots are added. I enjoy 2 flavor shots, so what percentage of flavoring would I need to add to match what I order from them?

Thanks!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
1) Mt. Baker only sells their flavoring in 15ml bottles. Is this batch too large for me to make at one time, or is the 15ml of flavoring abnormally small for DIY?
15 ml. bottle:
Too large, Depends. If you know what your doing, No. If you don't know what your doing, Yes.
Might want to read through:
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
2) I've read that they get their flavorings from Flavorwest, but I couldn't find a flavor from them in the same name.
May get some of their flavors from FW and not surprised that you could not find the name/formula.
3) Mt. Baker posted on their website that "Each added flavoring shot is approximately 5% of the total bottle size". I am not sure what percentage of flavoring they start at though before flavor shots are added. I enjoy 2 flavor shots, so what percentage of flavoring would I need to add to match what I order from them?
My guess is Mt. Baker is just adding more flavor to the standard strength mix. You may need to experiment with your mixing to approximate your desired strength.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello ECF! It's been many years since I have posted here, but have been reading and learning on and off throughout that time. I am new to DIY, but I am at the point where I am ready to start ordering the things I need to get started. My all time favorite is Happy Rancher 50/50 PG/VG with 2 flavor shots from Mt. Baker. When I try DIY, I want to replicate this flavor as much as possible, and your help in doing so would be greatly appreciated!

My questions are:
1) Mt. Baker only sells their flavoring in 15ml bottles. According to my calculations, this is not nearly enough to make a batch of 236ml of eliquid, which is what I usually order from them at a time. Is this batch too large for me to make at one time, or is the 15ml of flavoring abnormally small for DIY?

2) I've read that they get their flavorings from Flavorwest, but I couldn't find a flavor from them in the same name. Does anyone know which flavor this actually is and where it's from? Is it a combination of flavors that Mt. Baker came up with?

Thanks!
First to answer the 5% of bottle size depends on just how much finished ejuice you are making.
eg... 30 ml bottle 5% of that is 1.5ml 30 * .05= 1.5ml
A good guess on starting point with FW is what they recommend on their site. Most of their flavors are not highly concentrated so they say around 15-20% to start. But don't take my word for it. Read the FW website flavor description before deciding where to start.
The bigger the bottle the longer it will take to steep the juice.(if any is needed). So if you make that 236ml bottle, after you are done mixing, I would transfer a small bottle worth into another daily use type bottle so you can enjoy it sooner.
Also get a good calculator for helping you with you diy. If Mt Baker doesn't have one, ecigs express does on their website and its free.
Whew...gotta stop now.
:)

ls2erin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
15 ml. bottle:
Too large, Depends. If you know what your doing, No. If you don't know what your doing, Yes.
Might want to read through:
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Thanks for the links. I've already read dannyv45's blog, but not Hoosier's, so I'll check it out.

First to answer the 5% of bottle size depends on just how much finished ejuice you are making.
eg... 30 ml bottle 5% of that is 1.5ml 30 * .05= 1.5ml
A good guess on starting point with FW is what they recommend on their site. Most of their flavors are not highly concentrated so they say around 15-20% to start. But don't take my word for it. Read the FW website flavor description before deciding where to start.

Their site says 15-20% for the "hard candy" flavor, which is the closest thing I can find to Happy Rancher. I guess I will start at 20%, then add 10% more to account for the flavor shots. That equals 30% for flavoring alone, which would be WAY more than the 15ml bottle that Mt Baker sells of flavoring, hence my confusion for the small bottle size of flavoring they sell.

The bigger the bottle the longer it will take to steep the juice.(if any is needed). So if you make that 236ml bottle, after you are done mixing, I would transfer a small bottle worth into another daily use type bottle so you can enjoy it sooner.

That's what I do currently. I transfer it over into two 30ml plastic bottles.

Also get a good calculator for helping you with you diy. If Mt Baker doesn't have one, ecigs express does on their website and its free.
Whew...gotta stop now.
:)

I have the eJuice Me Up program installed, as well as some online calculators I found.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Gets its name from Jolly Rancher hard candy which came in several flavors including a tart granny smith apple. A start would be with the green apple, some sucralose for sweetness, and possibly malic acid (TFA Sour or similar) for any additional tartness needed. Depending on how well developed the green apple flavoring is, the additives might only be needed in small quantities or not at all. Also might be worth experimenting with multiple apple flavorings from different vendors and/or combining with hard candy flavoring.

Last edited:

ls2erin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
I just looked at Mt Baker and in the reviews one poster states that to him/her "flavor reminds me of a green apple hard candy". Maybe that would help in your search on FW?

I found the FW Hard Candy flavor on Bull City Vapor's website, and it has larger bottle sizes, as well as more reviews. Based on the reviews, it sounds like this is the main flavor I am looking for. I'll give it a try and see what happens! Thanks.

Gets its name from Jolly Rancher hard candy which came in several flavors including a tart granny smith apple. A start would be with the green apple, some sucralose for sweetness, and possibly malic acid (TFA Sour or similar) for any additional tartness needed. Depending on how well developed the green apple flavoring is, the additives might only be needed in small quantities or not at all. Also might be worth experimenting with multiple apple flavorings from different vendors and/or combining with hard candy flavoring.

I think I'll order a little green apple and watermelon to try with the hard candy flavor. If the hard candy flavor isn't enough, I'll try it again with a bit of those flavors. Maybe with some experimenting, I can find the perfect blend. Thanks.

4lph4num3r1c

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2015
I found the FW Hard Candy flavor on Bull City Vapor's website, and it has larger bottle sizes, as well as more reviews. Based on the reviews, it sounds like this is the main flavor I am looking for. I'll give it a try and see what happens! Thanks.

I think I'll order a little green apple and watermelon to try with the hard candy flavor. If the hard candy flavor isn't enough, I'll try it again with a bit of those flavors. Maybe with some experimenting, I can find the perfect blend. Thanks.
I'm curious about this flavor too. Please let us know how it went for you.

Reactions: ls2erin

ls2erin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
I'm curious about this flavor too. Please let us know how it went for you.

I tried the FW hard candy on its own before steeping. Harsh smell, bad perfume-like taste. Nothing like MBV Happy Rancher, unfortunately. I'm going to try it again after steeping, but I don't have high hopes. I bought some Happy Rancher flavoring before MBV stopped selling it, so I have some more time to try to figure it out. If anyone has any other ideas on what flavors I could try, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: 4lph4num3r1c

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
I tried the FW hard candy on its own before steeping. Harsh smell, bad perfume-like taste. Nothing like MBV Happy Rancher, unfortunately. I'm going to try it again after steeping, but I don't have high hopes. I bought some Happy Rancher flavoring before MBV stopped selling it, so I have some more time to try to figure it out. If anyone has any other ideas on what flavors I could try, I'd appreciate it.
LorAnn Watermelon is very close to a watermelon jolly rancher.

ls2erin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Try 12% to 15% for a single flavor juice.

I used 15% with no nic when making samples to try out flavors. Maybe I should lower it to 12%?

TFA Apple Candy is straight up Green Apple Jolly Rancher flavor. One of the few things I use on its own.

I made samples, one using TFA Apple Candy, and the other using TFA Watermelon Candy. Letting them steep and going to try those.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I used 15% with no nic when making samples to try out flavors. Maybe I should lower it to 12%?

I made samples, one using TFA Apple Candy, and the other using TFA Watermelon Candy. Letting them steep and going to try those.

Just plain fruits should be shake and vape, good to go. I also always like to try any new flavors right after mixing just to see if/how they change.

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread