Do brass mods contain lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickrw99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else in the forums, but a coworker came up to me while I was puffing on my brass nemmy and said "you know there's lead in brass right?" This has been haunting me, so my question to you all is, do these latest brass mods like the nemesis, origin, turtle ship, etc. contain lead or are modders using lead free brass?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
the nemesis is specifically a version of brass called navel brass and does not contain led, as well as being one of the higher conductive brass alloys. I do not know what blend is in any other mod, they do not state, I wouldnt put much faith in the clones to use a more expensive lead free brass but who knows.

Naval Brass C46400 is nominally composed of 60% copper, 39.2% zinc and 0.8% tin. As is typical of brass alloys with the duplex alpha + beta structure, C46400 has good strength and rigidity. By substituting tin for an equal quantity of zinc, a high corrosion resistance to seawater is achieved. The addition of tin also gives the alloy an inherent resistance to dezincification, thereby further inhibiting the impingement by seawater at higher than normal temperatures. The alloy is also noted for its resistance to wear, fatigue, galling, and stress corrosion cracking.
Typical Uses for C46400 Naval Brass "Lead Free":

BUILDERS HARDWARE: Lock Pins ELECTRICAL: Precision Shipboard Equipment FASTENERS: Rivets, Bolts, Nuts INDUSTRIAL: Welding Rod, Condenser Plates, Structural Uses, Valve Stems, Balls, Heat Exchanger Tube, Aircraft Turn Buckle Barrels, Bearings, Dies, Golf Ball Production, Pressure Vessels, Bearings, Bushings, Hub Cones MARINE: Properller Shafts, Marine Hardware, Decorative Fittings, Shafting, Propeller Shafts, Turn buckles ORDINANCE: Missle Components OTHER: Baffle Plates and Flanges PLUMBING: Fittings

nickrw99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
the nemesis is specifically a version of brass called navel brass and does not contain led, as well as being one of the higher conductive brass alloys. I do not know what blend is in any other mod, they do not state, I wouldnt put much faith in the clones to use a more expensive lead free brass but who knows.

Thanks Thrasher, that makes me feel better. As for drip tips I'm assuming brass drip tips are probably less safe? I have a chiz and a muffler and noticed that as time goes on, they turn darker where your lips are not... Probably gonna chuck these.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway

I wouldn't put too much faith in the high-end originals either unless stated otherwise. It's the nature of "luxury" items. If they use some special kind of brass (i.e bellybutton brass), they would milk the marketing value of using high grade metals for what it's worth.

Just an assumption.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You could lick your brass Mod if you wish. Doubtful it would ever transfer enough lead to do anything.
Lead Poisoning = Drinking Water heavily laden with lead pollutants and Eating Lead Based Paint.

People are forever taking Data to the extreme to err on the side of caution. Life would be much simpler it they would just listen to what is being said by professionals and not try re-translating to others.

We see the same Issue with Silica risk - I.E. People working Daily in High Exposure Manufacturing - like Boat building(Grinding Fiberglass) Not quite the same as Vaping.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Brass is used in Many applications that expose you more than a mod.
Are you guys sucking on the battery tube or what?
I don't get it
People smart enough to understand ohms law but can't use logic to realize lead in brass isn't a factor in this context amazes me.

FYI:
All the Kanger pro tanks that everyone uses...are chrome plated BRASS.
Grab your dremel if you don't believe me.
So how many people have bad effects from protanks?

The data is useless unless taken in the proper context.
Anecdotal evidence isn't science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread