Do I have to store my pg/vg and nic base in freezer/fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattycdj

Jul 8, 2015
Hi everyone I've got 72mg nic base in vg and 200ml of each pg and vg were shall I store them? Have heard mixed opinions on fridge and freezer storage. At the moment they are in a single dark draw in my cabinet. I've bought some amber glass bottles of Amazon aswell because it I've heard its better than plastic? Also my nicotine smells like rubber gloves (kinda). Is that normal? Thanks PS sorry for the long nooby questions :-/

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Rubbery nic has been reported before, notably with nicselect from alchem in some batches last year. It was reported from some source that they changed the manufactoring process to use full leaves instead of stems and dust and that the new process brought a rubbery smell with it, because of the oil in the full leaves or something alike, but then they seemed to fix the issue and e.g. my late batch of alchem nic smells and tastes like tobacco.

Just for curious sake, what brand and where did you get it and when, please?

Also, for your other questions, then just store everything in a dark closet, except if you have nic for over 1/2 to 1 year, then freeze the surplus in glass. You can store pg/vg also in fridge if wanting to extend the shelf-life further, although in a dark closet they should store several years anyway.

Last edited:

mattycdj

Jul 8, 2015
Hi mhertz. I bought my nic base from Vapable - Incredible Value E Cigs, E Liquid and Accessories here in the UK about a week ago. thanks for your reply I have been a bit worried since I got it. I've heard countless people sayin their nic batches smell, some worse than others. I've got some amber glass bottles coming soon so I might just put it in the freezer when it comes. All my ingredients are in my cabinet in plastic bottles at the moment.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Okay. The glass bottles I've bought have integrated droppers in the caps. Do u recommend I cut the dropper off the one I'm goin to put the nicotine in? As it could oxidise it? Thanks for your replys :).
Personally I would not obsess over the droppers. Just leave them in place and pinch the top to fill them as full as possible. Polycone caps are the best, and as you get into DIY you will fine tune this stuff, and maybe replace the dropper with a polycone cap (or the whole bottle). I've frozen nic in dropper bottles and never had an issue over the 6-9 months I did that before I replaced the droppers or used the juice.

Just a general DIY tip: Try to standardize where you buy your bottles to a place that sells droppers and poly-cone caps for all or most of their bottles. Not all 4 oz bottles are the same, for example. I have bottles that are supposedly the same size but take different cap sizes. The place I bulk ordered my bottles does not sell the polycone caps for 250ml bottles, which I use a lot. And that's driving me crazy trying to find a place that will sell me that size polycone cap for less than 20 bucks for the half dozen or so I need :(

Caps (and the related droppers) come in numerical sizes like 20-400. It is very helpful to know the actual numerical size of the cap before you buy glass bottles, in the event you need to buy more caps or droppers down the road.

Reactions: mattycdj

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hi mhertz. I bought my nic base from Vapable - Incredible Value E Cigs, E Liquid and Accessories here in the UK about a week ago. thanks for your reply I have been a bit worried since I got it. I've heard countless people sayin their nic batches smell, some worse than others. I've got some amber glass bottles coming soon so I might just put it in the freezer when it comes. All my ingredients are in my cabinet in plastic bottles at the moment.

NIC will stay good 3 - 6 months at room temperature. After that it starts to oxidize and turn amber and develop a harshness. The darker the amber the older it is and the harsher it is. To prevent this store NIC your presently working with in the refrigerator and for long term storage store it in the freezer in glass bottles. I would limit my working NIC to what you can use in 3 months and freeze the rest.

As far as the rubber smell some have reported a chemical plastic type or rubbery smell. This is generally poor processing of the NIC at the manufacture. This was very common about a year to 18mo ago from a few select venders here in the USA. I generally stay away from those venders.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Personally The place I bulk ordered my bottles does not sell the polycone caps for 250ml bottles, which I use a lot. And that's driving me crazy trying to find a place that will sell me that size polycone cap for less than 20 bucks for the half dozen or so I need :(

Caps (and the related droppers) come in numerical sizes like 20-400. It is very helpful to know the actual numerical size of the cap before you buy glass bottles, in the event you need to buy more caps or droppers down the road.

Try this place. Great prices on bulk and free shipping. I get all my bottles and caps here. very good selection and great quality.

wholesalevials

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Try this place. Great prices on bulk and free shipping. I get all my bottles and caps here. very good selection and great quality.

wholesalevials
Oh, I know where to get them. I previously checked your link. But I need a half dozen or maybe a dozen 28-400's (allowing for spares since it's a PITA to source). That's $30 for 144 per your link. I have maybe 6 bottles :) At least the shipping is free. But that's 5 bucks each for the half dozen I really need. The point of my post was to think ahead so you don't get into the corner I got into.

I put together a very complex $95 order for bottles here: Glass Bottle Outlet
And they had everything I could possibly want, all the top options (dropper, polycone, standard cap) for every size EXCEPT no polycone caps for their 8 oz or 250ml size. The pricing was very good, and in the quantities I needed (unlike your link where caps are a one gross minimum unless you buy them with the bottles and I wanted spares). But they were missing that one size polycone cap. I figured I would get them somewhere else next time I order other stuff from some place that carries them. What a mistake :). But I really didn't want to start over, re-sourcing my list, because of those 6 caps I needed. But now I regret it because the standard foam lined caps do not always tighten, sometimes they "spin" when you try to get them tight. Not every size maybe or maybe not every bottle. But I have a couple of spinners and I use that size to store bulk mixed nic and 100mg nic. So I learned the hard way that polycone caps are very important to do this stuff as best possible.

Just as explanation, for most of my bottle sizes (1/2/4oz) I ordered droppers *and* caps, polycone if possible (no droppers on the 8oz size of course). I did that because sometimes I like droppers and sometimes I like plain caps and didn't want to think too hard so I ordered the bottles with droppers and then a full set of caps on the side. So I needed decent "each" prices for the caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread