Do I really need a safe vape fuse on this mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vision Slip, it is a basic mod with a control head and a 5 click on/ off function, button lights up when you press it, so it works like an ego battery, only you put an 18350 in it. I assumed that since it is 5 clicks on/ off it must have a circuit board and would therefore come with very basic protection, but the vendor I bought it from is saying that it has no protection for shorts. I am considering getting a safe vape fuse, but don't know if it will fit. Feeling rather confused as well because I didn't think anything with 5 click functions and circuits needed special handling in terms of safety. Can anyone shed any light?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It never hurts to have a Vape Safe in any mod you use. I was not familiar with this mod so I did some research. It appears to be a mechanical mod with some minimal forms of electrical circuitry, but it is in no way a regulated mod. It does not have any protective circuitry, so a Vape Safe is definitely recommended. Vision Slip 18350 Mod

A Vape Safe takes up very little space in the battery compartment, unlike a Kick module which requires the use of a smaller size battery than the mod's default battery to fit. The Vape Safe attaches to the negative end of the battery by means of a magnet. There are two types: a single use module and a multiple use one which can be reset after stopping a short.

Vapesafe Fuse.jpg

IMR (unprotected safe chemistry/high drain) batteries are considered safer than protected NCR/ICR batteries.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Last edited:
Am using Efest protected, they recommend protected batteries. I did a few searches and in the Uk it seems to be either Efest or Trustfire for 18350s, couldn't find any other brands. I will get a vape safe fuse. I check the voltage of my batteries out of the charger. Does that about cover it? I don't think I can cope with checking for shorts on the atomizer and mod body, I'm not even 100% sure how to this. I keep buying mechanical mods thinking they are not mechanical mods, I must be some sort of noodle head.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

Efest is a better brand of battery than any battery with the name "fire" in it. Still, IMR batteries are a better, safer choice than a protected battery. - resource http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html You should be able to find the red AW brand IMR batteries somewhere online.

awimr18350.jpg aw18650-2000mAh.jpg

http://www.ukecigstore.com/accessories/batteries/AW%2018650

http://www.ukecigstore.com/accessories/batteries/imr-18350-li-mn-800mah-37-v2-efest

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for that. What about monitoring for shorts in the atomizer and mod body, are people generally doing this regularly?

Review the article I gave in the link above on mechanical mod usage. It gives some tips.

Routinely inspect your battery for flaws, check its voltage coming off the charger ( no more than 4.2 volts) and coming out of the mod (no less than 3.4 volts) with a multimeter. Use a Vape Safe fuse. Do not use a battery or mod (or fire button) which gets hot. Inspect the collapsable hot spring routinely if you mod has one.

Keep the top connector pin clean and inner battery contacts in the mod clean with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton tip applicator. Don't leave a charging battery on a charger while it is charging and leave the premises or charging overnight while asleep, and remove it from the charger once it is fully charged. Statistically, most battery incidents happen during battery charging.

Above all, respect the power of a battery.

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg battery-fire.jpg battery_failure.jpg Trustfire2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread