Do Storage Jars Really Need to Be Amber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
I am waiting for my order of 1 liter of 100 mg nic. When it gets here I would like to separate it into smaller, 500 ml or so jars mixed down to 25 mg each. I have a bunch of wide mouth ball type canning jars with plastic screw on lids. If I'm just going to put them in the freezer anyway, why can't I use them even though they're clear? For liquid I pour out to use and keep in my liquids box in 250 mil jars I can understand. They're more exposed, but does it really matter if the freezer jars are amber?

If it does let me know. I'll get some in the size I'd like. I at least found some wide mouth amber jars on ebay for a reasonable price. It would be nice to be able to boil the ones I have and use them though if it is at all possible.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Just using some common sense here .... I don't think it makes any difference if the glass containers are clear, amber, cobalt blue, green, red, etc as long as there are located somewhere in the dark.

If they are exposed to sunlight for a long period of time, you would not want to use clear glass containers for obvious reasons.

BTW .... It's real real dark in the freezer! :)

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
Well, see that's what I thought. LOL. I didn't mean to sound silly. I kept reading store in amber jars, but I couldn't figure out why it would matter for those kept in the freezer. I wanted to be sure. Getting this nic at a great price thanks to the summer sale at myfreedomsmokes, but that don't mean I want to waste it and store it wrong. Haha.

thank you very much.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Like simulation said the color of the bottle doesn't matter if it's in the dark (fridge or closet), the real why there's amber bottle is actually for convenience store when they're in the display in the fridge because they have 24/24 lights on the bottle. As for us, the lights in the fridge do turn off when we close the fridge :)

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
Thank you all very much! *doing the happy dance* I have plenty of canning jars. Now just waiting eagerly for my shipment. I appreciate your taking the time to answer such a noob/stupid question. My common sense was telling me don't be silly-there's no light in there to bother the liquid... but my wallet was saying--don't be stupid--ASK. So I asked. :)

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
My wife likes the blue bottles, because she likes blue! :facepalm:

Yup ... Same reason I have been putting my home-made juice in blue bottles with fancy-schmancy labels on them ... looks cool ! :)

Label1.jpg

RonJS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
SW Chicagoland, IL
Last edited:

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
Oops, on the breaking. Hum. I've stored canned goods in them in the freezer without breaking. I do know if you fill them too far they'll bust open, but that's any jar. I'll have to consider that point though. That would be a nasty mess even when putting the jars in a baggie.

AZ--yeah, I can see that, but I would always transfer out of a 500 ml jar into the 250 ml I keep out for mixing. However, that may change as I get more into it. I'm still pretty new at the whole thing. If I change my mind on that and buy smaller jars to store so I can just take them out to use as is, that's a definite reason to use amber for storing in the freezer.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
Just read the posted link... mine are the "straight sided" wide mouth jars (I dislike the small mouth 'round shoulder' jars for canning as well as liquid storage). It appears from the link that it is the small mouth jars that tend to break in the freezer (didn't know that though. Interesting.)

It was also interesting to read in that thread that vg and pg shrink when frozen, not expand. That's something to know. I always underfill jars when canning because ... well, water expands when frozen, and glasses do break under those conditions. Good to know that's less of an issue with the nic base. Probably still a good idea to leave a little space though.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Just read the posted link... mine are the "straight sided" wide mouth jars (I dislike the small mouth 'round shoulder' jars for canning as well as liquid storage). It appears from the link that it is the small mouth jars that tend to break in the freezer (didn't know that though. Interesting.)

It was also interesting to read in that thread that vg and pg shrink when frozen, not expand. That's something to know. I always underfill jars when canning because ... well, water expands when frozen, and glasses do break under those conditions. Good to know that's less of an issue with the nic base. Probably still a good idea to leave a little space though.

Unless you use an inert gas in the head space, use as little head space as practical. Oxygen is enemy number one and any will eventually react with the nicotine even during frozen storage.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I am waiting for my order of 1 liter of 100 mg nic. When it gets here I would like to separate it into smaller, 500 ml or so jars mixed down to 25 mg each. I have a bunch of wide mouth ball type canning jars with plastic screw on lids. If I'm just going to put them in the freezer anyway, why can't I use them even though they're clear? For liquid I pour out to use and keep in my liquids box in 250 mil jars I can understand. They're more exposed, but does it really matter if the freezer jars are amber?

If it does let me know. I'll get some in the size I'd like. I at least found some wide mouth amber jars on ebay for a reasonable price. It would be nice to be able to boil the ones I have and use them though if it is at all possible.

I don't see where clear canning jars would be an issue if stored in the freezer It's pitch black in the freezer so light is not much of a factor. More important make sure you fill them as close to the top as possible to cut down on the amount of air in the jar.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
Well, I am very glad that I posted this question just for the fact that I have learned that I should NOT leave much breathing room in the jar. That would have been the natural thing for me to do. Apparently expansion isn't an issue and that air at the top is....

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
I don't see where clear canning jars would be an issue if stored in the freezer It's pitch black in the freezer so light is not much of a factor. More important make sure you fill them as close to the top as possible to cut down on the amount of air in the jar.

Danny, I just HAD to comment on your sig line! I do that ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I have two clearos that open at the bottom, and one stupid one that opens at the top, and I am constantly opening that one at the wrong end. Sigh. lol

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well, I am very glad that I posted this question just for the fact that I have learned that I should NOT leave much breathing room in the jar. That would have been the natural thing for me to do. Apparently expansion isn't an issue and that air at the top is....

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.

Expansion is not a problem. In fact when I used to store in plastics the bottle would start to cave in. So always use glass.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
I've gotten better but still have an accident from time to time. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry to change the battery I'll grab the carto from the top and opps.

That's how it always happens with me. I am always careful when dealing with liquids when making mixes and stuff, but when I'm filling a clearo, it's usually when I'm relaxing and watching tv and I am absentmindedly taking it off the battery to add more juice. I don't actually (so far, I'm probably jinxing myself now) spill the liquid, I realize what I've done about mid - unscrew... it's just aggravating, and sometimes it gets a little messy if some of the liquid seeps down and out of the top when I finallyl get around to doing it right on that one.

It's such a stupid thing, but I get so aggravated with it (and myself for being so silly) and half of the time I'm tempted to toss that one away so I don't do that again, but I actually like the way it vapes, so I calm down and screw it back on my battery and keep on vaping until I'm happy again. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread