Dollars and Sense in Vapeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveesl

Sep 26, 2011
Florida
Is the e-cig a less expensive alternative to analogs? It can be, but not always. In my case the results are a bit mixed.

First of all, both my wife and I were smokers. I smoked about 1.5 packs per day, she about 1+ per day. Last summer we left the world of commercial cigarettes and began using cigarette tubes and tobacco with a T2 machine. Yes, the savings were instantaneous on that front. Even though we smoked the less expensive 305 brand cigarettes, we still spent about $9 per day (that number would now be $13 per day). When we shifted to "fill your own", it isn't roll your own, the price dropped to about $1 per pack, including the machine. Had we kept on smoking, by extrapolating the numbers, we'd now be down to about 80 cents per pack ($3 per day), where it would essentially stay, IF the government doesn't kick up the taxes on the alternative cut tobacco, which of course they will. Assuming the tax will soon be equal to the cigarette cut tax, then the price would go up to about $2.40/pack.

By the end of the summer, we had tried our first e-cig and we were amazed. Yes, we began buying and experimenting. We have now found the distributor we like (V4L), the various flavors we like and do not like. We have numerous batteries, holders, chargers and travel chargers. We have several vials of liquid and many carts, enough to last at least 2-3 more months. We have spent a total of $694 since the end of August on all of our e-cig products and supplies. I added up all we vaped and what we have available and I consider 2 carts to be equal to a bit over 1 pack of analogs. I clean and refill the carts. I can usually get an average of 7 refills per cart. My total cost per equivalent pack is now at $2.10/pack. This includes the new, refilled and to-be-refilled carts and juice.

Now, if I assume that I purchase 10 more batteries over the next year and keep to my present rate of consumption vs refill and replacement, then I will have reduced the equivalent price/pack to about $1.60/pack. This is substantially less than what I would have spent on commercial analogs, but is double what I would spend on "fill your own". The cost/pack changes if and when the taxes go up on all forms of tobacco. Assuming the tobacco tax hits the roof, then the price differential is nil.

Oh, and when we shifted to e-cigs, it took us about 10 days to do the full switch from analogs to vapeing and never bothered us. My wife has been slowly reducing her nicotine levels, as her goal is to be completely off all forms of nicotine by February 2012. For me it is a bit different, as I have neurogenic bradycardia (extremely low HR and BP) and nicotine is a stimulant that actually keeps my heart rate and blood pressure at a semi-reasonable rate. Even though I have been a smoker for over 40 years, I am a lucky one and have no heart disease or lung disease.

Using the e-cig will allow my wife to completely stop the intake of nicotine without having to live with the smell of me smoking. For me, it provides a safer, non-smelly alternative for something that actually helps me medically. So the e-cig is a win-win-win.

So, pricewise, over the course of about 6 months, the cost per pack, when compared with commercial cigarettes is less than 1/2. Presently, when compared to DIY cigarettes it is about double, but that will probably change in the near future to be equal. The health benefits far off-set any additional cost. And assuming my wife fully stops using all forms of nicotine, including the e-cig, then that dramatically lowers the costs.

dave

Link

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2011
SmokeFreeville usa
i think your experience is pretty common for most long term vapers. very similar to my experience.
when my wife (who has never smoked anything) mentions how much ive spent...i remind her....even if i paid double what i used to pay for cigarettes, its worth it.

ideally i will be down to 0 nicotine also. but in the meantime im very happy to have stopped the 25 year-long game of chicken i was playing with my well-being.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
Consider for a moment that you were smoking diy cigarettes but are vaping commercial juice. I don't diy yet, but id love to see some diy vets come throw down some numbers. I'll bet my supply of boges your vaping costs would be less than smoking rollies if you mixed your own juice

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
I DIY my own 0mg juice and vape 1-2ml per day of VG base juice.

Juice (@ 1 ml per day roughly)

VG (walmart brand) $2.98 for 177ml=5.9 30ml bottles or about $.49 per one 30ml bottle or 12 mo X $.49=$6.00 roughly @ 1ml per day.
Flavor $19.44 (@ $.27 per ml.. 20% flavor for 365 days @ 1ml per day)
Misc DIY $30.00 (syringes bottles etc.)
per year $55.44 approx. for 1 ml per day

Vapeing for me is pretty cheap since I don't use PG or nicotine anymore, lovin' it. This allows me the luxury of buying lots of DIY flavors.

JacobDaniel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Jackson, Michigan
jacobselectronics.net
the DIY atty really helped my pocket as wire and wick is cheap.
with only using DIY atty I spent about or maybe a few bucks more than rolling my own.
I just started DIY liquid so I dont have much to say about savings but I been DIY liquid for about 2 weeks and I still have about 90% of my supply left and I spent about $35

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
I've been using DIY juices for about 2 months now. It has become somewhat of a hobby for me so I spend more than I really need to. If I really had to - and settled on 2 or 3 flavors - it would cost me only 50 cents a day to vape 2ml to 3ml a day of some really good DIY juice.

I have just started using Extreme Vision Mini 1.5ml Clearomizers by GotVapes with great results. They are a little pricey @ $2.95 each but last a really long time between cleanings and are SUPER EASY to fill. I have 2 batteries so I have both set-up with Visions and they last a full week between cleanings. I just refill them every day and then clean them on the weekend.

Pete

waveryder

Verified Member
Sep 4, 2011
Virginia
I really like seeing the cost analysis from other people that have converted from analogs. After seeing information about the chemicals that are ingested from the combustion of tobacco I did not consider less expensive tobacco alternatives. Since I began vaping (3+ months ago) I discovered that ECF is a priceless resource for fast tracking the learning process of the various Mods, methods (atty's, tanks, genesis) of delivery and the most popular juices.
It seems that buying a good mod is a one time outlay and can cost vary as much as 1 - 5 cartons of analogs. With that out of the way I discovered that the atty's and dripping are not for me. Having to refill carto's over and over didn't work for me either, I went to a tank which I am happy with. My next step is going to be to change over to a tank with a stainless wick. If it works and does as well as many of the comments I have seen it will eliminate the cost of replacing carto's. I am buying Boge 2.0 carto's for 5 @ $5.99 and using 2 - 3 per week. If I eliminate that cost the only thing left will be the cost of the juice and batteries. Definitely minor cost compared to analogs. I suppose I may get the energy some day to play with DIY but right now I am happy paying $10 for 30ml juice bottles - with several flavors they last a long time.
The wonderful thing about vaping is discovering that it is a community of very helpful veterans!

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Couple things to add in here, if I may. I detect quite a few "if's" and "probably"s in there.

First of all, as has already been stated, you're comparing DIY analogs with vendor-liquid. There's some pretty good looking numbers a few posts up from me about DIY liquid. It really isn't that difficult, and since you seem to enjoy math a bit, it should come naturally to you. :) I just started doing DIY liquid, and it's a learning curve, but I spent like 40 dollars on a starter kit, and i've got a ton of stuff to work with here.

Second! Health concerns. I'm going to go out on a limb here (pretty big limb, should be able to support my weight) and suggest that nicotine by itself has no ill effects on your body...at least not any more than something like caffeine. Lets face it though, there aren't many vapers that are health-nuts, otherwise they wouldn't have been smoking in the first place. While part of the attraction to vaping was the savings of money in the long term, I would -gladly- pay double this just for the health benefits that I've received since I made the switch.

-X

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
This is a breakdown of what I consider to be my necessary expenses..

Per year
pg/vg = $21.
flavor = $30
Cartos = $40

Consumables = $91 0r about $7.60 a month

needles and syringes $10
Batteries = $260

I don't use nicotine any more. I think I spent about $100 for a years supply when I was using it. I started with 24mg nico and gradually reduced the amount I used.

My main battery is a Provari. The Provari is useful for testing new juice but otherwise I don't need it. I mix my juices to taste best at 5 watts and any battery cartomizer combination would work just as well. As long as it is big enough to provide the current. I have many other batteries but the other one I use is an E-Power. That's when I am out and want something smaller. I also keep a Joye eGo variable voltage passthrough in my truck with a USB adapter. I tried it when I bought it and haven't used it since. The eGo and a couple of cartomizers sit in the truck just in case.

Provari and extra batteries and charger about $200
eGo = $25
E-Power = $25
Car USB adaptor = $10

Cartomizers = $40

I use CE2 cartomizers. I don't know how long they could last because I rarely clean or burn them. Usually I lose them or set them aside to be cleaned some day. I go through about 20 a year. I also use clear juice which makes them gunk less.

30 cc of flavourart flavoring = $15
I use 5 percent at most of flavoring to 50pg/50vg.
I vape about 100cc per month.
30cc x 5% = 600cc multiply by 2 and I get 1200cc and one year's worth of juice.

I paid $40 for one gal of USP grade Propylene Glycol more than a year ago. looking at the bottle I have over 80% left. Let's say $6 year for pg

Vegetable glycerin from Walmart. I don't remember what it costs but $15 a year should be more than I spend on it.

As I stated before vaping is a hobby and I have manny other things that I don't really need.

daveesl

Sep 26, 2011
Florida
I really appreciate all of the responses and probably in the future I'll try out the DIY approach, simply because I'll want to do something different ( ha ha ). What I was trying to show is that even if you compare the e-cig to the DIY analog approaches, then the present cost differential on both is far less than commercial cigarettes. I suspect in the future that when the govt. begins to fully tax the DIY analog tobacco, then there will be essentially no price difference between DIY analogs and commercial carts/batteries/juice. As to the heath issue, this is a non-starter, regardless the e-cig wins.

As to the "quality of life", my wife and I travel a lot and it is a big hassle to always have to go outside to smoke. This February we'll be in Europe for a month and the e-cig makes this so much easier. First, I don't have to carry around 12 cartons of cigarettes (waiting for them to get stolen by baggage handlers). Instead I can carry a few small boxes of carts, some liquid and batteries with chargers. I can vape in the hotel/apartment and don't have to go outside in the freezing rain to smoke. This is a biggie to me!

So dollar-wise, we are way ahead over commercial analogs and maybe a bit behind on the DIYs, but that doesn't matter to me. What is really important is that wifey can easily stop taking in nicotine all together, and I can continue using it as a medical stimulant without bothering her. If you can't smell it, then you aren't reminded of it.

That's why I wrote that the e-cig is a win-win-win and this board is a fantastic source of information!

Thanks to all

dave

ImJustAvg

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
I have now been vaping for over a year and although I originally spent in excess of $800, those were initial expenses WITH a lot of equipment that just was not right for me, and I overpurchased also. I originally bought lucky slikes which is a 501 like system. I bought extra chargers, 10 batteries, carts, atomizers, etc for this system before I understood that it just wasn't what I wanted and needed - now they are only used to try out new flavors. Since I was a 3 pack a day smoker, a cart would last me an hour and the battery - two. I would often run out of charged batteries also - so tried the mega small batteries and longer batteries last 3-3 1/2 hours. Just not my style, since I am often out on a job site and can't recharge them easily.

Found ECF and then the EGO mega batteries, atomizers and carts and they were so much better! Now could go 6 hours on one cart and 12-16 hours on the mega batteries. More vape for less work. Bought about 8 batteries, several carts and several atomizers along with a travel PCC and travel chargers. I also bought my e liquid in 250 ml bottles from Gormet Vapor when then went on 50% sale. In the last year, I have had about 10 - 501 atomizers fail; 2 - EGO atomizer fail; 3 - 501 size batteries fail; 2 EGO mega batteries fail. BUT the EGO mega batteries that failed were from Green One - all the batteries from Mike and Carols have lasted.

The bottom line is that IF I had found ECF before I got into ecigarettes, I would have spent less than $400 and still have another (at least) 4 months of batteries, atomizers and carts. Comparitively I was spend $40.50 per carton and went through 2 cartons a week. So for me it was AT LEAST a savings of 75%.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
So dollar-wise, we are way ahead over commercial analogs and maybe a bit behind on the DIYs, but that doesn't matter to me. What is really important is that wifey can easily stop taking in nicotine all together, and I can continue using it as a medical stimulant without bothering her. If you can't smell it, then you aren't reminded of it.

As my wife says no matter what I spend it is still cheaper than lung cancer.

The money isn't an issue for me. I was trying to show how cheap it can be. An E-Power kit, spare batteries and cartomizers would be under a hundred dollars. Pg, vg and flavors wouldn't be much more. After that it's than ten dollars a month for DIY.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
Yeah, 10 batteries a year sounds pretty excessive. I can go a year on 2 batteries. I used to roll my own also, for about 85c per pack and was smoking about a pack a day for a total of about $27/month. Presently, I can get about a week out of a carto and I go thru about 2 ml of juice per day. I buy my e-juice from Freedom Smoke for $40 plus $5 shipping for 120 ml. At 1/2 bottle per month, I'm spending about $22.50 for the juice, and cartos at about $1.50 each for another $6 and maybe another $1 per month for batteries for a total of about $30/month. I'm pretty much breaking even. But then, I didn't figure in the cost of the fire to light my analogs for maybe another 50c/month. I also don't have to worry about burns on my car seat or going out in sub zero temps to get my fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread