Dry hits when using all VG liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
So I mentioned a couple of times last night that I got some new liquid from Fuzion Vapor that I was really enjoying. It turns out that they don't use any PG in their liquid, which I thought was cool. I wasn't having any trouble last night, but this morning I started having issues with dry hits with two of the flavors. I have them in two different Mini Protank 3s with two different coils. It seems the issue is just the wicking, a couple of pulls without pushing the button gets me a few more good vapes before I get the burned taste again, rinse, repeat. The funny thing was on my third tank I wasn't having this issue.

I'm guessing this isn't an uncommon issue with VG liquid because it's so thick, but I thought I'd bounce it off you guys and see what you thought. Another interesting thing is that the two tanks I'm having this issue with have the two liquids I added the Koolada to, and those liquids seemed to gel up a little bit more than the one I didn't add the Koolada to, so I'm wondering if it's something in that additive that makes the liquid get thicker. Or maybe it's just the coils on those two tanks don't wick as well. Or maybe the third liquid is just a little thinner since it has different flavorings. Thoughts?

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Yes, VG is much thicker, so tis wicking issue. You can either thin down juice with some pg, vodka, or distilled water, or pull some fiber from the wick channels, guess on a pt, that would be like removing a flavor wick, or two.

It's one of those, play with it till it vapes right, issues. :D

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
Someone's going to have to explain to me what an RDA is, I keep seeing that term thrown around...OK, the Google says it's a rebuildable dripping atomizer. Don't know if I'm ready for the rebuildable stuff yet.

I got a pair of tweezers and pulled some fibers out of the wicks. Seeing how that goes, early returns are promising.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
Even cartos in a carto tank can produce nice dense vapor from high percentage VG if punched correctly.

There must be some nicer cartomizers and carto tanks out there than the ones I was using before I switched to the Mini Protanks. I never tried them with high VG juice but I didn't get as good a flavor out of them as I do with the Protanks, the cartomizers were pretty hit and miss (it seems like there was at least one bad one in every pack of 5 I bought), and the tanks I had for them were kinda crappy plastic ones.

But, it seems like there are people on this forum that swear by the cartomizers, so I'm guessing I was just using crappy ones.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I use Smok single coil 2.0Ω unpunched XL cartos in an IBTanked. When using high percentage VG it's important to have enough holes punched low on the carto to handle the thick VG. I punch four holes until the carto vapes just short of flooding. I switch to four smaller diameter holes during hot weather. With other wicked atomizers the wicking may need to be adjusted for high percentage VG.

20140714_144458.jpg

Last edited:

Dickyjim

Oct 25, 2014
Bel Air, MD, USA
Nate on your original topic you answered your own questions, now that you have the wicking situation worked out be aware that the high vg liquid is going to gunk up your coils and kill them faster also. As far as an RDA it has no tank so no wicking issues it is nothing more than a platform and posts to hold a handmade coil with a wick run through it (drop liquid directly onto the wick). With a bit of knowledge from searching the forums RDAs are not as complicated as you may think until you get into the safety concerns of sub ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread