E liquids, Flmmable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This advice from Ecigvape.com "Appropriate care must be taken to safeguard against fire-hazards. Many ingredients in e-liquid are highly flammable, as are many substances used in the extraction of nicotine", they are talking about people mixing their own liquids. Shop bought eliquid is not flammable is it? I mean that would not make any sense because we are heating it up enough to vapourise it, so it couldn't be?

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
When I first read this I would have said no. So I took a piece of paper towel and saturated it with 24mg (50pg/50vg) liquid, went to the sink and took a lighter, lit it, and it started a fire. Ran water on it and the paper towel was not burned, the liquid was burning. So I would say with my little test, Yes it is flammable.

Vape On
:vapor:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Just tried it on toothpicks. 70%PG and 70%VG. 4% tobacco flavor
Both were slow to take off but burned well once they heated. Even had a drip stay lit as it fell.
Some mixes have alcohol in them.

I mix my own, use only 10% flavor, so mine have no alcohol, has to be the pg/vg. IMHO

Vape On
:vapor:

boathook

Oct 27, 2013
Upstate NY
Flammable? Yes. In the sense that if you get anything hot enough it will catch on fire.

PBusardo doing a flavor burn on a stainless wick:
A PBusardo Review - The AGA-T(s) - Part 2 - Assembly & Building Tutorial - YouTube

It's all about the heat to liquid ratio. Unless you're applying direct heat in an oxygen-rich environment, you're not going to catch it on fire. (Read: Your coil and wick configuration are designed to prevent it from all going up in flames.)

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I tried e-liquid in a spoon and it will not ignite when a flame is held to it!

PG and VG are not as "Flammable" as paper is.

According to MSDS:

PG will auto ignite at 700 - 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

VG will auto ignite at 752 degrees Fahrenheit.

Definitely not a fire hazard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread