• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

ecig news on TV - La Facture on Radio-Canada (french)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
A small 10 minutes french video on ecigs can be found here :
La facture - TOU.TV

It is season 2012, episode 1, first segment.

I know this emission quite well, used to watch it all the time, talks about people frauding, bad business and stuff like that. It kind of tells you what to watch for when buying/renting, making a contract or doing business with people/company.

For people who can't understand french, here's the summary :

Since spring 2012, in Quebec, we can now buy no-nicotine ecigs in convenience store, they're the small unit the size of a cigarette with disposable batteries at about 11$ each. There's not really a law saying you need to be 18 to buy it, so what happened is that some young students from high school buys them and freely vape them in class or in the hallway. Now the parents are afraid they're going to start an addictive habit with this and then move on to the real cigarettes.

But they also show a convenience store where they sell the Evo ecigs and it clearly says on it 18+. We also see a teacher which confiscates them in class, he thinks it's not proper in class to use them.

The reporters tried to contact Health Canada about this, but they didn't want to, they only pointed out to the 2009 report which we all know and states that ecigs are illegal :
Health Canada Advises Canadians Not to Use Electronic Cigarettes - Health Canada Advisory 2009-03-27

Then, they ordered some no-nicotine cartomizers from China and made an analysis on it, they found that one of them had 0.25mg of nicotine and they said it's a real lack of quality control, they were quite shocked by it.

And at the end, they talk about the deal of last April, where the cigarette maker Lorillard bought the Blu ecigs for 135 millions :
Blu E-Cigarettes Acquired by Tobacco Company Lorillard | E-Cigarette Reviews for Ex-Smokers in Need of Guidance

---------

Well, since they were able to stop the selling of popeye cigarettes, I think it just makes sense it should be 18+ to buy this. But saying young people will use ecigs to start real cigarettes? It should be the other way around, we're vaping to stop smoking analogs which should be a good thing! And everyone knows the taste of analogs is very nasty after using ecigs.

I don't get why they we're so shocked by the 0.25mg nicotine, it's so small, kind of a residual PPM in a test. And there's way more nicotine in teas, chocolates and soft drinks :
http://www.americanwaterways.com/commitment_safety/lessons/crew_alertness/caffeine_nicotine.pdf

Last edited:

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
I don't get why they we're so shocked by the 0.25mg nicotine, it's so small, kind of a residual PPM in a test. And there's way more nicotine in teas, chocolates and soft drinks :
http://www.americanwaterways.com/com...e_nicotine.pdf

I think you're mixing up caffeine with nicotine here. There is no nicotine in teas, chocolates and soft drinks.

Also however minute the percentage of nicotine found in no-nic cartomizers, it's exactly this kind of thing that justifies seizing or turning back empty carto shipments to Canada. HC has already claimed that empty cartos "may contain nicotine". So the next question is, were two separate tests done on some no-nic cartomizers that found traces of nicotine, or really only one test that both HC and La Facture are using for evidence?

I fail to see how an empty carto could get nicotine in it. Sounds like a set-up.

Last edited:

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
True, I really mixed nicotine and caffeine, my bad, however those 2 substances gives about the same effect on the body. In fact, nicotine ain't as bad as what they're trying to depict it :
FAQ: Nicotine (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

I really like this emission so I'm kind of bias here but I don't think it was a set-up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread