Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
I've been using the Ego Booster from happyvaper.com for about a month now, and I gotta say it's probably the best ecig investment I've made to date. Basically, the eGo batts are useless (imho) unless you're willing to use nothing but LR atties and carts; 3.2V doesn't get you very far with resistances much over 1.8 ohms, give or take. So, like many, I relegated the genuine Joyes to the cigar box and used my SLBs and E-Power 18650 exclusively. But I really wanted something with more juice, and, being too cheap to spring for a ProVari or yet another fixed-voltage mod, I decided to try the Ego Booster - $70 approx. with shipping seemed reasonable and it would work with my dusty Joyes AND the E-Power. Pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, the first unit was defective - barrel came loose from the switch assembly, but was quickly replaced by Jack at happyvaper. Now I have two since the original still works.

I have to say that these things are really, really great. For one, they handle 3 amps where other VV mods (which shall remain nameless but start with "Pro") only tolerate 2.5. On an eGo batt this isn't that big a deal, but if you use, say, an IMR it does seem to make a difference.

Now if all you have is a bunch of pen batts or SLBs, a ProVari or other VV unit might be worth the investment ($200+), but if you want to take full advantage of your Joye and/or replaceable battery mods the Ego Booster is really worth looking into. I think they're making a stainless version now, which would probably be the way I'd go since the black coating tends to flake off. Check it out! Ok, end of rant... :)

Last edited:

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
Yes the black flakes off or more precisely if it topples over it can chip off but that gives it that well used look . I don't care as long as it works but who knows may get the stainless one too . I have a lanyard that is a ring that slips over the button part of the battery and is held on by the cone or large cartomizer . It is too bad the top of the booster isn't the same the booster changes the centre of gravity so it hangs top down now . I will have to find a solution to that .

Last edited:

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
It uses a "buck booster" to regulate the voltage between 3.2 and 4.7v. No battery inside. It does drain the batt a little faster; you lose about 25% of the charge, but on a big batt it's not a huge deal. Doesn't interfere with the batt's circuitry as far as I can tell, but don't use it on an SLB (Riva, etc.) or you'll get thermal runaway.

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
Nice plug! I had the same experience with the dial dropping out on mine. The replacement came super fast and has been going strong since. I understand there is a v2 of the EB with the dial reversed which, I assume, they have fixed that particular issue. :) I particularly like that you got the EB for use with a big battery mod.

@juicejunky, I did a thorough testing of the battery life (link in my sig), bottom line it does drain more power but not much.

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
It actually seems to work best on a large IMR battery. In terms of the ego format, it ONLY works on PWMs. Using it on an ego clone is dangerous, as I found out. The booster will throw 'em into thermal runaway pretty damn quick, and while mine didn't explode it was sure getting hot enough to cause some worry. Of course, since I was on the other side of the room within milliseconds, it would have just taken out the TV set and an ugly fern...

GiMante

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
So Cal
www.VaperSociety.com
it actually seems to work best on a large imr battery. In terms of the ego format, it only works on pwms. Using it on an ego clone is dangerous, as i found out. The booster will throw 'em into thermal runaway pretty damn quick, and while mine didn't explode it was sure getting hot enough to cause some worry. Of course, since i was on the other side of the room within milliseconds, it would have just taken out the tv set and an ugly fern...

lmao :).....

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
It actually seems to work best on a large IMR battery. In terms of the ego format, it ONLY works on PWMs. Using it on an ego clone is dangerous, as I found out. The booster will throw 'em into thermal runaway pretty damn quick, and while mine didn't explode it was sure getting hot enough to cause some worry. Of course, since I was on the other side of the room within milliseconds, it would have just taken out the TV set and an ugly fern...

Well all I have is ego , a provari and a couple of Boge Leos so I don't really have anything to test on .

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
As I said, it works on genuine Joye egos. So if you have one, you can test it. But if you've already got a Provari, why bother, unless the form factor of same is a little annoying (read: too damn f'ing big).

I won't take my provari to work with me is all it is for home or when I am out for a night with it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread