EHPRO Kayfun Lite V2 - Dry Hits / Burnt Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I know this subject has been written about many times, let me assure you I did read a lot about it, also watched videos etc. but I think I still haven't figured WHAT exactly the problem is.

So I got an EHPRO Kayfun V2 Plus clone and being new to the Kayfun (After a Nautilus Mini and one attempt at subohming) I started building coils, double coils, single coils etc.

I am using 28ga wire and some helpful sites where they tell you how much wraps for what Ohms etc.

The 1st coil I built was a 0.6-ish double coil and besides the extreme PITA it was to fix the coil on the device I actually did NOT have the problem of burnt taste/dry hit.

But then I experimented more and ever since with EACH built it's like I am puffing a few times and out of the blue I get the most horrible burnt taste....I have a strong suspicion it has to do with wicking so I found several threads about the "correct wicking methods" which I replicated to the dot. But STILL on occasion I get the horrible burnt taste.

I read about an issue the clones might have with the juice channels and how some people dremel their Kayfuns to "drill open" the channels. I am not too thrilled about this idea and would only consider this as last resort.

Does anyone have any more tips to avoid those dry hits and burnt taste on the Kayfun?

vaping w/ Kayfun Lite V2 Clone Plus
Japanese Organic Cotton
Kanthal 28ga, micro coils 1.6mm, 2.4mm
anywhere from 12W - 20W, 0.6 - 1.5, depending on coil
on a Disrupter 50W
Various juices, PG/VG

TBH I am started to love my Nautilus Mini again since with it at least I know I don't get those bad surprises

PS: One THEORY of mine is that the Kayfun has a problem with higher % VG juices, that the juice simply cannot flow fast enough especially if you chain vape many puffs in a row because of its viscosity. (This of course would mean it's indeed a problem with too 'tight' juice channels). It would also mean that the burnt hits wouldn't appear with PG juices. (I can test this later)

Currently I am using ONE single coil, spaces plenty above the air hole, about 1.38 Ohms.

Wick rather "lose", the "V" upwards through the chimney, cut off about 1/8" above chimney and then pushed down into the chimney, careful not to cover the channels but touching base etc. (by the book) like I saw on a video about correct wicking.

Last edited:

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I run my Russian 91% (which is a 1:1 clone of the KFL) at .6 ohm and above the reason being when you drop below that say .5 and down,it has a hard time keeping up with the wicking because the channels are so narrow.Try building from .6 say to .8 and post back if your wicking problems have been resolved.

EDIT: With out the sub ohm kit for this device it was really not meant to be used sub ohm'ing .

I have not seen the kit for sale lately on any site so I am not sure if you can still purchase it.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I have tested so many coils, resistances etc....but in essence I found what you're saying.

I just build a very nice dual coil, gives me 0.7 with a "picture book" wick. What I am seeing now is "muted flavor" and VERY loud (almost scary) popping (above 12.5W) when the wick is not primed. It's really like the device is not able to "suck in" liquid fast enough, thus the problems ranging from dry burns (with certain coils), to loud popping and muted flavor. I really think it's the juice channels too tiny.

When I prime the wick I all-of-a-sudden get all the flavor nuances again, but then a few puffs...and the problems start again.

I am aware that below 0.6 is not recommended and also that subohming is not "ideal" for the Kayfun, but believe me I tried single coils too at 1.3 or 1.5.
It's as simple as the Kayfun not being able to "burn" juice fast enough, this is how this looks to me right now.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Well 1 of my Kayfuns is setup with a twisted wire coil at .7ohm, don't remember what wire probably 29awg (19-25watts mech). The other is setup at 1.3 ohms 32awg twisted and running it at 12-13watts, (kick). Both are using 60/40 juice and cotton ball wicks in a 3/32id coil. Both coils were built in July. Neither has burned any wicks or even given off that new cotton taste. I vape NET and rewick every 4-8ml. Both have the afc, shut down to a tight draw.

You sure you are not just over or under wicking?

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Yes I am pretty sure I actually got the wicks right, not too much, not too lose, channels not covered etc.
Ok I am back to a single coil at 1.3ish Ohms now, and now I am vaping at a very low 10ish-12ish Watts, at least I have a somewhat consistent "experience" now. (Even before w/ the "subohm" dual coils I vaped with rather low Wattage, like 16W-17W, but those pops/explosions were really scary and unpleasant. There is no way on Earth that this could handle 25W or even 30W, it simply wouldn't be able to get the amount of juice IMHO). I think if I want to go there I would need to mod the channels. Right now I built so many coils and wicked so many times, I am sick of it especially if you sit there for an hour or two and then the result is dry burns, popping etc.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
You should not have to make the juice channels bigger,like I said,i run my Kayfun V4 and R91% both at .6 ohm on 30AWG wire with 80/20 VG/PG mix at 35-40 W's (without the sub ohm kit) and they wick very well and I do not get burnt or dry hits.

It sounds like your coil is too tight for the wick(or too much cotton for the coil) if it is popping the way you say it is.With the next coil you make do not wrap the coil real tight and see what happens.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I am assuming you use a dual coil, 5 wraps each?

Edit: This is the point, it is my understanding that the Russian *does* have larger channels and the EHPRO clones not?

35W-40W at 0.6W (looking at the table and the heat this creates)..I can't even imagine that with my current setup, without any kind of mod or subohm kit. What sort of wicking you use?

Edit2: Spacing out the coil(s)...would be worth a try too!

1oalie.png
#

Look here for example. (Not my pic). But just from looking at it yesterday, my juice channels are definitely on the smaller side and I think this can make all the difference. At 35W-ish, this thing will CHUG juice like crazy obviously. Problem: A dremel would cost me as much as the Kayfun.

Edit3:

With my current single coil setup at 1.3 Ohm-ish and 16W/17W-ish, it works actually fine and nice flavor, no dry hits and popping so far. Nice warm vape, almost like my iSub. I must agree that 1.3-1.8 ish seems to be their sweet spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread