Electronic Cigarettes Cause Damage to Lungs, Study Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
From what I have seen and heard the effects of ecigs on lung capacity are minimum at best I have seen plenty of post from here of long term smokers who have had significantly reduced lung function whereas swapping to ecigarettes has shown a dramatic ( no mention of full capacity but that could be because some damage is in fact irripairable ) this study appears to be very vague on it's sources and the controlling measures and precautions taken to achieve the results ecigs are are not like ciggaretes in a limitless amount of ways for example no two ejuice suppliers will sell exactly the same juice the variables for what juice alone are through the roof differant flavours pg vg concentrations nicotine concentrations or what brand of ecigarette was even used I find it highly unlikely that the product used for this study was selected in the same manner that actual vapers select there product go example I highly doubt that this product was a provari / lavatube ect with home made or on order made juice like I'm sure the majority of long term vapors will use ( that point was more about the juice not the device to deliver it ) I find it highly likely that the device used was a typical imitation cigarette style ecig which are made cheaply with cheap refills made for profit not performance I have seen studies conducted which state that the varies of nicotine in these devices are not consistent and I believe them and that is not including the dilutants used in these devices which is safe to assume are also as inconsistent this is a typical case of scare mongering with no real evidence to back up the claims being made

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
According to the ERS press release
Experts warn that e-cigarettes can damage the lungs

Professor Christina Gratziou, one of the authors and Chair of the ERS Tobacco Control Committee

This explains how Gratziou got the ERS to accept her "Late Breaking Abstract" and to issue the press release promoting her and the ERS' opposition to e-cigarettes.

And since Gratziou is Chair of the ERS Tobacco Control Committee, she very likely authored the ERS policy opposing e-cigarettes at
www. ersnet .org/eu-affairs/item/4494-european-respiratory-society-statement-on-e-cigarettes-and-emerging-products-.html
European Respiratory Society statement on E-cigarettes and emerging products

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Capwn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
I'll use the same analogy I always use with stories like this....

Not switching to vaping from smoking because you are worried about possible health effects is like choosing to carrying on swimming in shark infested waters rather than going to a swimming pool because you are worried the chlorine may damage your hair,

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I'm a cynic, so to me it isn't strange at all - they're dancing jigs and hopping from one foot to another in order to not shoot themselves in both feet and their backsides all at the same time. There's huge pharma profit in "owning" nicotine. They want to "patent" it. After all, it does wonders for Parkinson's and Alzheimers patients - but even MORE importantly, Phizer's (or whoever's) bottom line. "Nicotine" is a miracle "drug" and can be horribly abused unless you have Nanny Phizer delivering it. (drug of course being the operative word) Therefore nicotine is highly beneficial but must be carefully dosaged and messed about with by Nanny. Of course Phizer will do all sorts of things and hire all sorts of experts to ensure its "quality" and that's why you will need to pay them $500 a puff, which is still a great bargain you bloody ingrates, says them. Sigh, I used to enjoy the old days when things were so obfuscated that it was at least a bit of a challenge to figure out what those cunning whores were up to. Now they don't even bother to mask their immorality.

According to this report
www. eurekalert .org/pub_releases/2012-09/elf-ewt083112.php
Experts warn that e-cigarettes can damage the lungs
"In COPD and asthma patients the use of one e-cigarette seemed to have no immediate effect to airway resistance."

From this it would appear that e-cigarettes are only safe for those with COPD and asthma to use. Isn't that strange?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm a cynic, so to me it isn't strange at all - they're dancing jigs and hopping from one foot to another in order to not shoot themselves in both feet and their backsides all at the same time. There's huge pharma profit in "owning" nicotine. They want to "patent" it. After all, it does wonders for Parkinson's and Alzheimers patients - but even MORE importantly, Phizer's (or whoever's) bottom line. "Nicotine" is a miracle "drug" and can be horribly abused unless you have Nanny Phizer delivering it. (drug of course being the operative word) Therefore nicotine is highly beneficial but must be carefully dosaged and messed about with by Nanny. Of course Phizer will do all sorts of things and hire all sorts of experts to ensure its "quality" and that's why you will need to pay them $500 a puff, which is still a great bargain you bloody ingrates, says them.
If Big Pharma could "own" nicotine as a "drug" they most certainly would LOVE that.

Things are going to be heating up in the nicotine world, as there are many angles yet to be played out...
--Big Tobacco is now producing products similar to Big Pharma NRT products
--Big Tobacco is now getting into electronic cigarettes
--Intellicig is now attempting to bring electronic cigarettes into the Big Pharma market as an approved NRT

Sigh, I used to enjoy the old days when things were so obfuscated that it was at least a bit of a challenge to figure out what those cunning whores were up to. Now they don't even bother to mask their immorality.
I think that's the part that bothers me the most in all of these things.

These people don't even feel like they need to tell the truth anymore, because they know they can lie.
And the media will eat it up, and the public will eat up what the media tells them to eat up.

It might just be that the media is the real problem.

Vapor Fiend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Cali4nia
Anything like this stuff that you see is all fake and the numbers are massaged. It's the same thing as trying to get people to pay for "global warming" carbon taxes when the money is being used for something else. Only the end goal here is to take electronic cigarettes off the market so that Big Tobacco can keep it's monopoly on the market.

Everything any anti-e-cig companies, scientist or organizations do is solely for the purpose of slandering the name of electronic cigarettes in order to protect a strangle hold on the market by Phillip Morris and other big tobacco companies. All of which, I might add are actually behind all other smoking cessation aids. So what you do is set up quick studies that don't do accurate tests and massage the numbers a little to make it seem as though these products are bad.

The American Lung Association and the Environmental Protection Agency did the same thing in the late 80's and early 90's, trying to say that some studies they did showed proof of links between second hand smoke and lung cancer. Too bad the Supreme Court land-basted the study finding that nearly all the data was manufactured.

Do not pay attention to any of these studies that are conducted by large corporation funded groups. If you follow the money, it will lead back to Big Tobacco, The AHA, The ALA, and Big Pharma because they are all in bed with each other.

It's simple:

Big Tobacco has a product that is bad for people. These people sometimes get cancer.

Those people who are sick then need to go to the American Lung Association or the American Heart Association.

They then need to get some drugs because they're sick. Big Pharma steps in.

AHA, ALA, Big Pharma all keep quiet because Phillip Morris and other Big Tobacco companies keep sending them paying customers.

See the reasoning behind all of this stuff?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
@Vapor Fiend:

Haven't you noticed that slogans like "smoke-free zone" have morphed into "tobacco-free zone"? At one time, it was only smoking that was the enemy. But little by little the so-called public health community has been demonizing all tobacco and all nicotine use. They are FAR from in-bed with tobacco companies.

All government-run web sites that that mention tobacco, put 100% of tobacco products into the same basket (or should I say "trash can.")

"There is no safe tobacco product."
"All tobacco products cause cancer."

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
I was thinking about the original article the OP mentioned and wondered " wouldn't inhaling anything vaporlike cause lung restriction immediately following its use? Like a nebulizer or at a concert that has fog machines or your ashtma inhaler for that matter. The real problem is why is there so little positive media coverage of our E-cig use? I think we as a community are on the cusp of becoming large enough that focus will soon intesify on the culture as a whole. The sort of "backyard" and "homebrewed" business' selling simple products for decent profits and without any authoratative oversight is suddenly and quickly getting rather large and profitable but profitable to the wrong people(By BB and Govt. ideas). We should move faster at adopting standards and practices for all the things that we produce and sell so that we might have a chance to remain as we are and not fall victim to bad legislation or shady business practices and dealings. There are beginnings with people requesting certain things from vendors to help improve customer awareness. And the suggested changes to tube mods made by ECF. Anything to use in our defense as a safe and legitimate consumer base now, will only benefit us later as things really begin to get exciting.

And now for something completely different.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I was thinking about the original article the OP mentioned and wondered " wouldn't inhaling anything vaporlike cause lung restriction immediately following its use? Like a nebulizer or at a concert that has fog machines or your ashtma inhaler for that matter.

The answer to your question is "Yes". And the most interesting thing is that the research showing this was conducted at the very same university where Ellen Hahn is doing such a good job of truth-bending about tobacco harm reduction -- but obviously this research was done in a different department of the University:

www. ncbi.nlm.nih .gov/pubmed/22505744
Bronchoconstriction triggered by b...
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012 - PubMed - NCBI

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
According to this report - Experts warn that e-cigarettes can damage the lungs - "In COPD and asthma patients the use of one e-cigarette seemed to have no immediate effect to airway resistance."

From this it would appear that e-cigarettes are only safe for those with COPD and asthma to use. Isn't that strange?

Well, they must be right. I used to be kept awake at night by loud wheezing. I still wheeze if I am exerting myself, but no longer when I'm just lying in bed at night. I used to have a "productive" morning cough. It's gone. I used to go into an embarrassing coughing jag whenever somebody made me laugh. That's gone, too.

As a matter of fact in surveys of e-cigarette users about 90% of users state that their lungs have improved since switching.

I asked Dr. Polosa, who treats patients with lung problems, for his opinion on this study. He said that he is totally unimpressed with this work. "It has the same methodological problems as the Varvadas study."

My uneducated guess would be that the COPD and asthma sufferers had already developed a tolerance to PG or similar substances present in inhalers.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
My uneducated guess would be that the COPD and asthma sufferers had already developed a tolerance to PG or similar substances present in inhalers.

Interesting thought. I was on a nebulizer for almost a year 2X a day... maybe 10-15 minutes or so each time. I would actually find it harder to breathe at first from inhaling the albuterol suspended in the PG liquid. By the time I finished it had gotten easier to inhale, and maybe 10 minutes later my lungs were clearer and the wheezing from the asthma was gone or nearly non-existent.

Since vaping, I have not had to be on a nebulizer and have come off of the preventative inhalers as well. I do have a rescue inhaler, but have used that twice in the past six months and I had strep and a horrible cold at the time. I no longer carry it on a daily basis. I did find that inhaling the vapor took a little getting used to. I ended up using 50/50 or even 60 VG 40 PG juices to reduce TH which seems to bother me. A significant amount of TH can trigger bronchial spasms. My doctor is fine with my vaping, completely unconcerned with low levels of nic and PG/VG. He said the only thing to be concerned about is long term inhalation of flavoring, but that is by far less of a concern that cigarettes would be, so vape on.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
...the only thing to be concerned about is long term inhalation of flavoring, but that is by far less of a concern that cigarettes would be, so vape on.

That's pretty much the long and short of it.

Whenever I'm exasperated at the ignorance of an ANTZ—they smug of smile, vacant of cranial case—I'm confronted with guilt when I explain the simplicity of it: PG, VG, or a combination thereof; nicotine; flavoring.

"Flavoring" is the umbrella term I gloss over, because I don't always know the chemicals involved when I fill my lungs with them. Safe in the long term, in an absolute sense? I don't know.

Probably not.

What appears absolutely safe—even in the absence of decades of clinical trials—is that jumping off a curb is orders of magnitude less suicidal than leaping off a 30-story building

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
Very well written and informational thread :)

Thank you to all...

I know my asthma was never bad enough to warrant a nebulizer but I did have to have an
albuterol inhaler at one time many years ago.

Now, even in the month I have been using a PV, I have not had near the lung issues I used to
and can sleep at night and breathe in the day with ease.

I am with everyone who continues to help keep PV's and e-cigs within our reach... thank you :)

Wish they had these years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread