• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Email from NY Senator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschumske

May 30, 2010
Webster NY
I just wanted to post an email i just received.

Thank you for writing me regarding (S.7635), which would institute a total ban of electronic cigarette sales in New York State to people of all ages. Though I oppose this legislation, I did support the ban on sales to minors (S.2926-B). Currently, there is simply not enough information to conclude that they are a hazard to the health of adults, though I felt it was a good precaution to end sales to youths as they may serve as a gateway to nicotine addiction.
Electronic cigarettes are for the most part marketed as an alternative to traditional tobacco cigarettes. Ideally, they emit small amounts of nicotine to their users without carrying the dangerous carcinogens and other chemicals that cigarettes have. However, FDA studies have raised questions about whether electronic cigarettes are safe to use. In certain electronic cigarettes, the FDA found traces of carcinogens and toxic chemicals, as well as nicotine in products claiming to be nicotine free.
In spite of these problems, many other studies have found electronic cigarettes to be very beneficial to those trying to quit smoking traditional tobacco products. Consumers have also resoundingly supported electronic cigarettes, touting many stories of success with electronic cigarettes that they could not find with other alternatives such as patches and gum. Without any definitive proof of their hazards at this point, electronic cigarette sales should not be banned outright.
At the end of the last legislative session, the New York State Senate and Assembly both passed a ban on sales to minors that is awaiting Governor Cuomo’s signature. A vote on a total ban of sales did not come to the floor for a vote in the previous sessions, but if it does in future sessions, I will oppose it.
I appreciate you taking the time to write, and please feel free to contact me again should you have further concerns regarding this or other issue

Sincerely,
Liz Krueger
State Senator

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
If I may offer a suggestion: It may be worth the effort to organize a small group to visit the good senator to re-enforce her support. The more people that go to the visit the more the politician will want to hitch her wagon to a "people's cause". She would then come out publicly, play both side of the issue:
1. Senator takes a very public stand against sale of vaping kit to minors and
2. Harm reductions

Benefits = gives the issue more "profile". Senator's political calculus will tell her that the issue will always be current, etc., etc............

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
+1 If it happens as you suggest!
C.B.

The "suggestion" may be helpful at a future date with a politician yet to be identified as the issue was defeated. So my rear has been covered by circumstances as the suggestion was not put to the test. Your caution, married nudist vaper, has been registered and I will watch like a Hawk for an opportunity to earn the "+1" from you and would for evermore and henceforth wear it as a badge of honour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread