FDA may soon propose regulation that could ban many/most e-cigarette products, eliminate many/most companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
On June 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law an Act of Congress which gives the FDA authority to regulate tobacco products. The term “tobacco product” means any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product. This includes, among other products, cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco.

Currently, there are many "tobacco products" that are not subject to FDA regulation under this Act, such as cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah/shisha, dissolvables, and electronic cigarettes. But the FDA has announced their intention to propose a regulation that would extend the Agency’s authorities to other categories of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes. The additional tobacco product categories would be subject to general controls, such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing, good manufacturing practice requirements, user fees for certain products, and the adulteration and misbranding provisions, as well as to the premarket review requirements for “new tobacco products” and “modified risk tobacco products.”

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
On June 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law an Act of Congress which gives the FDA authority to regulate tobacco products. The term “tobacco product” means any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product. This includes, among other products, cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco.

Currently, there are many "tobacco products" that are not subject to FDA regulation under this Act, such as cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah/shisha, dissolvables, and electronic cigarettes. But the FDA has announced their intention to propose a regulation that would extend the Agency’s authorities to other categories of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes. The additional tobacco product categories would be subject to general controls, such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing, good manufacturing practice requirements, user fees for certain products, and the adulteration and misbranding provisions, as well as to the premarket review requirements for “new tobacco products” and “modified risk tobacco products.”

I feel ill.
User fees? = taxes
Premarket review requirements? = nothing that works worth a damn will get passed. Our liquids will have to be tested before being released to us. Which means they will squash the eliquid industry.

I am just sick.

Exylis

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Null
I feel ill.
User fees? = taxes
Premarket review requirements? = nothing that works worth a damn will get passed. Our liquids will have to be tested before being released to us. Which means they will squash the eliquid industry.

I am just sick.

Are you sick and resigning yourself to defeat without raising so much as peep or are you sick and ready to get up, wake up and rise up?

You cannot expect them to stop no matter how hard we fight. That is not the point though; the point is that we must get off our butts, get involved and cut these tyrannical "nanny state" bills to shreds, where they begin, every year.

Cut Them Legislations Down.jpg

Otherwise, kiss vaping freedom goodbye; many other freedoms have been destroyed because most of America has stood down.

Freedom Destroyed.jpg

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Are you sick and resigning yourself to defeat without raising so much as peep or are you sick and ready to get up, wake up and rise up?

You cannot expect them to stop no matter how hard we fight. That is not the point though; the point is that we must get off our butts, get involved and cut these tyrannical "nanny state" bills to shreds, where they begin, every year.

View attachment 205944

Otherwise, kiss vaping freedom goodbye; many other freedoms have been destroyed because most of America has stood down.

View attachment 205947

I've been writing letters, doing surveys, signing petitions, talking up CASAA in the new members section, joining discussions, sitting in on CASAA meetings on Sundays, am a member of CASAA, reading this section of ECF.

I'm not just sitting idly by and waiting until the government or the FDA decide what they want do do with something that has worked for me where nothing else has. My husband calls me "My little activist".

It still makes me sick to see that in black.....errr... red and white.

You're preaching to the choir.

Last edited:

Exylis

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Null
I've been writing letters, doing surveys, signing petitions, talking up CASAA in the new members section, joining discussions, sitting in on CASAA meetings on Sundays, am a member of CASAA, reading this section of ECF.

I'm not just sitting idly by and waiting until the government or the FDA decide what they want do do with something that has worked for me where nothing else has. My husband calls me "My little activist".

It still makes me sick to see that in black.....errr... red and white.

You're preaching to the choir.

I am sorry if I came across condescending. That is unfortunatley the flaw of text communication. Much of the intent is lost. My intent was to inspire, in the event that you felt defeated momentarily like I, myself, sometimes do. Jes' tryin' to help.

Sorry bout that, mang. :/

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I am sorry if I came across condescending. That is unfortunatley the flaw of text communication. Much of the intent is lost. My intent was to inspire, in the event that you felt defeated momentarily like I, myself, sometimes do. Jes' tryin' to help.

Sorry bout that, mang. :/

I hear you :)
Yes, sometimes it does get disheartening. Especially when new notices crop up constantly. And then when you think you've got one licked, those idiots try to sneak it through by attaching it to something. :(
Sometimes it just makes you want to scream!!
I will keep fighting. :)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Okay, so, my local news station was reporting that the FDA had decided to start regulating them as tobacco products and that all applicable laws would start to take effect... But I see nothing about that here. What's going on, exactly?

Did you read the first post in this thread and all the ones that followed? If you want to continue vaping and not have it banned/restricted, go to the CASAA web site (click on the banner at the bottom of this post), join and support CASAA. On the CASAA web site there is a wealth of information that should answer most of your questions.

I would also read this post/thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-understand-your-right-vape-under-threat.html

Last edited:

RoadKillCrayon

Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
California
I know this all boils down to money - that for every person that switches from tobacco cigarettes to electronic cigarettes......Tobacco companies loose money, tax monies are lost and people will potentially live longer, thus putting more of a "strain" on Social Security.

I've read different things about taxing "tobacco" products and have also read about taxing "Nicotine".

This absolutely is "splitting hairs" - But regarding "Nicotine"......Nicotine is found, naturally,in our local supermarkets in several different vegetables. (The same vegetables that children are encouraged to eat) Nicotine is also permitted in pesticides - mainly in Organic farming, because it is derived from a plant.

Are they all willing to tax the crap out of nicotine containing vegetables such as tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflower, green & black teas, eggplant???? Will we be taxed on fruits/vegetables that our organic farmers are splashing on our food items????

I do understand the differences.....but really, if they are saying that nicotine must be taxed........tax it all - selective screwing just doesn't feel good.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
In the next few days, I'll be collaborating with CASAA to develop an action alert, sample letters to send to members of Congress, and sample letters to send to newspaper editors.

If/when the FDA proposes this regulation, we'll also need to generate thousands of public comments to the FDA urging them to reject their proposed regulation, but the agency holds all the cards (and can ignore all of the public comments and simply approve the proposed regulation).

That is why we need to contact members of Congress (especially Republicans) urging them to oppose this potentially forthcoming power grab by FDA.

That's why it's important to make our case known to people overall so that we can call congressman senators and tell them we will will vote their butts out if this passes.
They will put pressure on the FDA not too.
Regardless....we still have some darn control.
If the districts are gerrymandered threaten to put the other bum in.
They don't want to loose their jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread