Status
Not open for further replies.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
This regulation is a Goliath. Certainly can't read it all at once, but from what I've skimmed, so far not as bad as many of us were concerned it would be. It seems to go to extensively explain the main points we have heard about, prohibited to minors, no vending machine selling in place where minors are, labeling requirements, etc. Thank you for posting!

My main curiosity is if these regulations mostly apply to cigalikes, and how these regulations will transcend to the usual types of products many of us use here.

white88stag

Aug 16, 2013
Houston, TX
This regulation is a Goliath. Certainly can't read it all at once, but from what I've skimmed, so far not as bad as many of us were concerned it would be. It seems to go to extensively explain the main points we have heard about, prohibited to minors, no vending machine selling in place where minors are, labeling requirements, etc. Thank you for posting!

My main curiosity is if these regulations mostly apply to cigalikes, and how these regulations will transcend to the usual types of products many of us use here.

Page 18 for their thoughts on the flavors and children.

Page 23 for information on Nicotine Delivery Products

Page 30 for past info on defining e-cigs (Njoy Style/Disposable) as a tobacco product

So we expect 24 month grace or application submission period. Once formally released today, there will be a 75 day public comment period.

Giving out free samples will be stopped. Carding someone when they enter and/or when they purchase will be enforced.

Not much in the actual proposal – a lot about tobacco and tobacco products. They banned BIDI’s today. Just my quick skim.. Mostly references on the last 20 pages.

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
From what I read/ understood I see this as worse case scenario. My logic being if the FDA proposed today to ban all ecigs for example everyone who benefits would be outraged and act. This proposal seems reasonable; prohibiting sales to minors, labeling ingredients and appropriate warnings. Personally I almost think these sound like good ideas as will most people so little to no action will be taken. Then I remember the expression "giving someone an inch and they take a mile" or better said:

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once.

Slavery has so frightful an aspect to men accustomed to freedom that it must steal in upon them by degrees and must disguise itself in a thousand shapes in order to be received."

David Hume [1711-1776]

Can you tell I'm skeptical of government involvement on anything?

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Read pages 125-130. They are very important. Especially for small juice shops. The FDA also clearly acknowledges that ecig juice may be much less harmful than combustible tobacco. The FDA is considering a streamlined process for "tobacco products" that contain many less ingredients and aren't burned.

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
My big concerns are whether or not they are going to ban flavorings (which they shouldn't since alcohol also comes in flavorings) and how difficult it is going to be for small eLiquid companies (mom and pop shops) to compete. Is it going to take years for the FDA to approve new eliquids and what will the cost be to submit?

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
They certainly seemed to leave things wide open to add regulations as they go.

The 75 days do not start until the proposal is actually approved from what I read.

It certainly looks like there is a lot unsaid and wide open for further regs. does not seem like much on top but give it some time.........

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
There are some things that I read of interest................

* Premium Cigars don't need to have any labeling but cheap cigars will.

* New "products" must be submitted to the FDA for approval. It doesn't clearly state just the juice so any new toppers and batteries may be subject to review

* Flavors are the next step. They are asking for opinions on it and it appears they want to ban them in non "premium cigars" and juice.

I didn't get very far but it does say no "vending machines" and unless someone is there to verify that the purchaser is of age. How does that work online?

Also, the document says, "views have been advanced that electronic cigarettes are less harmful". It doesn't really confirm or agree it.

Anybody

Aug 1, 2013
Arlington, TX
My big concerns are whether or not they are going to ban flavorings (which they shouldn't since alcohol also comes in flavorings) and how difficult it is going to be for small eLiquid companies (mom and pop shops) to compete. Is it going to take years for the FDA to approve new eliquids and what will the cost be to submit?

They couldn't ban flavorings and actually enforce it without messing with the food industry as well. If all I was able to buy was unflavored juice, I would simply buy the flavoring and add it myself. The only way to keep that from happening would be to ban the food flavors themselves, and that's a battle that would be totally impossible to win.

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
They couldn't ban flavorings and actually enforce it without messing with the food industry as well. If all I was able to buy was unflavored juice, I would simply buy the flavoring and add it myself. The only way to keep that from happening would be to ban the food flavors themselves, and that's a battle that would be totally impossible to win.

I agree on that aspect and I DIY most of my liquid. But there are a couple I like to buy from other vendors. I don't want to see that option go away. It would also ruin their business. That is how they differentiate their products from others. If they were all just selling unflavored nic, what would be the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread