First Coil Build - LOLz

Status
Not open for further replies.

elenamylove

Sep 16, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok so tonight was my first coil build - I used 28g Kanthal A1 wire and organic cotton - Stillare single coil build was good to go at 1.7 ohm vaping her at 12.5 watts - Smooth taste and vapor. Tried to get a dual coil setup on my Big Dripper and failed three times, omg I gave up for the night.

I'm really having a hard time making tight micro coils - Whats the secret? :facepalm:

All my coils were a tad lose and I would heat them up and try tweasing them together... still no good. Any advice?

I just started building today as well, I've done about three different builds (1.5 ohm single, 1 ohm single, and 1 ohm dual) I found the best way to keep the coils tight for me was to make sure you're keeping the tension on the wire the whole time you're wrapping. Take your time and make sure the wraps are as close together as you can get them.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
heat them till glowing, release switch/button then pinch and hold till cool. You can even blow on them to cool them. wire is soft when hot then hardens when cool and holds it shape. You want to make sure when you have wrapped micro contact coils you already have a good tight wrap to begin with. so squich them together while they are still on whatever you wrapped the coil around.

elenamylove

Sep 16, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just a quick question - During the coil building process when your tightening your coils on the atomizer is it normal for the resistance to change slightly?

I'm using a DNA30 so I can see when the Ohms go up or down 1.6 to 1.7 or 1.5 till the coil is finished and tight. Seems like most peeps are using mechanical mods when doing builds, I need to get one. :glare: Figured if I'm not getting anything new in the vape mail every week life would be dull.

elenamylove

Sep 16, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Did another 28g Kanthal micro coil build @1.9 ohm - I'm still having issues when you pinch the coil and torch it, it tends to mess-up... So I torched it on the bit/mandrel I used and this worked OK... Should I use my DNA30 mod and fire it and pinch the coils till they fire properly (burn inside out)? On the plus side the ohm's are staying steady this time, no jumping around.

The Big Dripper build is still on hold till I can start making good micro coils.

laramik

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Chicago
I build mine by twisting them on a micro screwdriver then I squish them down as tight as I can on there. Once I have them as tight as I can get on the screwdriver I then mount them onto the RDA. Once they are on the RDA I fire them till glowing hot then, immediately after pressing the fire button, I squish them with a pair of pliers or tweezers to get them tight together while they are still red hot but not while I am firing the button. Don't do that, it will result in a short. Do that a few more times where you get it red-hot then squish, red-hot then squish. At this point they should be super tight together. You should now be able to clip the back tails up and be ready to wick them as soon as they cool. My ohms do bounce around a little bit when the coils have not already become tight. You'll get there. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elenamylove

Sep 16, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
OK all, the final update on my building journeys - Got home and my Kayfun Lite Plus v2 was staring at me and daring me to attempt a build.

I wiped out my trusty build kit and got cracking!!!! So on my first try I got a 1.4 ohm micro coil working flawlessly!!! I LOVE THIS KAYFUN !!!! Perfect flavor, nice vapor, decent TH.

I'm going to quit smoking tomorrow and stick with this setup. Thanks to everyone here at ECF for all the help, I love this site and everyone here!!!!! :2cool:

:vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

Last edited:
One thing I've figured out is to keep as much tension as you can on the wire while wrapping on the mandrel, and definitely make sure to wrap them touching while on the mandrel. The better you get this step, the less fiddling you're gonna have to do to get it perfect later.

If you're trying to use a regular lighter to torch your wrapped coil, just don't. You can anneal your wire before it's wrapped, but heating a coil with a lighter won't work. You need at least butane. I use propane because it's cheaper. MAPP gas would be too much.

Not sure if you're using a lighter or a real torch, but it kinda seemed like you were using a regular lighter.

Also, smaller ID coils seem to hold up better for me, but that may just be my torched and warped tweezers.

Siochanai

Verified Member
I typically build my micro coils on a 1/16 drill bit 1.6 mm. I have a pair of fine point I mean super fine point Wiha ESD tweezers I use to to squeeze the coils together due to the taper and being super flat inside with no teeth and hit them with my BernzOMatic pen butane torch till red for 10 seconds then good to go. These tweezers are also great for wicking and a nice thin 25ga blunt luer lock needle is great for getting the cotton through the coil as well. Also while on the mech it is very helpful to fire them orange hot and then insert the drill bit to re position the coil while it is warm. Tends to keep it from springing out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread