Flavors are real light, more steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
Had several Flavourart flavors steeping individually now for 10 days at incremental percentages in a PG/VG mix (no nic at this stage) to determine my initial percentages before I start mixing them together. I have found the percentage for each where the flavor is best, but it is real "light" in flavor. When I go up to the next higher percentage the flavor is off or non-existent. any suggestions?

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Some flavor molecules will cancel out others. It's tricky when mixing several. Like chocolates will either overwhelm everything else or it will fade away...very difficult to get multiple flavors all playing well with each other. But your question seems to be not finding the accurate % for each individual flavor. Some need other flavors to enhance the main flavor, so testing each one will only give you an idea. Once you mix it with other flavors that will change. It's trial and error as each flavor acts differently and also varies between how much VG, PG, nicotine, etc you use. Maybe adding EM to your tests will help.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Some flavor molecules will cancel out others. It's tricky when mixing several. Like chocolates will either overwhelm everything else or it will fade away...very difficult to get multiple flavors all playing well with each other. But your question seems to be not finding the accurate % for each individual flavor. Some need other flavors to enhance the main flavor, so testing each one will only give you an idea. Once you mix it with other flavors that will change. It's trial and error as each flavor acts differently and also varies between how much VG, PG, nicotine, etc you use. Maybe adding EM to your tests will help.

This is very true ..... some things mix amazingly well, and some others seem to disappear or create something altogether different from what you had initially intended, and not in a good way .... it's a science that most of us DIY'ers are working to master.

Sometimes increasing the percentages of flavoring will increase the dept and strength of flavor overall, sometimes it will just create a mess. I have flavorings which are light in flavor, and will remain so no matter how much I increase the flavor percentage ... like TPA apple and strawberry, I couldn't get more flavor out of these no matter how much flavoring I added.... or steeped.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Mick,

Is this your experiment with the 48 different bottles?

Try adding 2 drops per 5ml of concentrated lemon juice to each mix if they are NOT tobacco flavors.

Try adding 2 drops per 5ml of vinegar to each mix if they ARE tobacco flavors.

That is what I do when I make my juices to start with. It has solved the flavor fade problem I was encountering before that. I have not yet tried to salvage a juice that has already faded though. It does seem to make flavors pop compared to if I haven't added acid to the mix.

Good luck!

Pete

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
which flavor vinegar did you find best? reading your vinegar post now Pete, great stuff.

Try adding 2 drops per 5ml of concentrated lemon juice to each mix if they are NOT tobacco flavors.

Try adding 2 drops per 5ml of vinegar to each mix if they ARE tobacco flavors.

Pete

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
which flavor vinegar did you find best? reading your vinegar post now Pete, great stuff.

I have only used Apple Cider Vinegar but I don't think it really matters. As long as you use 2 drops or less per 5ml you shouldn't taste it. But I do recommend using 2 drops per 5ml. In my tests I could just start tasting the vinegar at 3 drops per 5ml in an unflavored mix.

Other people have posted good results using other varieties of vinegar also.

Check the label on the vinegar though. It should read something along the lines of "Diluted with water to 5% acidity." I think this must be the standard in the USA because all the vinegars at the grocery store had this printed on the label.

Good luck!

Pete

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
What about Nut flavors & Cream flavors (two different categories)? Which would you add to flavors in those two categories - vinegar or lemon?

And finally got through the Vinegar post (whew, long one). I see there is mention of combining effect. So If I add 2 drop of lemon per 5ml of one flavor and add 2 drops of lemon per 5ml of another flavor and then blend those two flavors is the lemon/vinegar addition going to get multiplied?

I have only used Apple Cider Vinegar but I don't think it really matters. As long as you use 2 drops or less per 5ml you shouldn't taste it. But I do recommend using 2 drops per 5ml. In my tests I could just start tasting the vinegar at 3 drops per 5ml in an unflavored mix.

Other people have posted good results using other varieties of vinegar also.

Check the label on the vinegar though. It should read something along the lines of "Diluted with water to 5% acidity." I think this must be the standard in the USA because all the vinegars at the grocery store had this printed on the label.

Good luck!

Pete

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
sorry should have been more clear. I'm not adding both lemon and vinegar to one flavor. just wondering if I need to reduce my vinegar or lemon add-on to each separate flavor if I know ahead of time that I'm going to mix the two (or three) individual flavors together later.

Are you adding both lemon and vinegar or just one? I think the increase comes from mixing malic acid and citric acid but not if you're just using lemon juice.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
How about my inquiry Pete,

What about Nut flavors & Cream flavors (two different categories)? Which would you add to flavors in those two categories - vinegar or lemon?

That's what makes DIY so fun!

It is YOUR choice what to add to your juices.

This is how I might approach this question:

What would the mix taste like if I did start to taste the acid I have chosen to use?

Nuts plus vinegar = May not be too bad
Nuts plus lemon = Probably not too good

Cream plus vinegar = Probably not too good
Cream plus lemon = May not be too bad (Lemon Meringue Pie?)

Then I would flip a coin, heads its vinegar, tails its lemon juice!:D

After that I would decide to use malic acid because it is flavorless and just tastes sour!:D

I agonize over this issue all the time Mick, join the crowd!

As an aside...

Nuts and Cream are usually used as accent flavors and typically don't stand by themselves, but then again that is IMHO. And YMMV.

Good luck and let me know what YOU decide!

Pete

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
an offer I can't pass up. thanks much pete.

all flavourart. base nic is from RTS, starting at 36mg. I like to vape at 15mg. and usually go 70PG/30VG.

based on my first round of testing, here are the flavors and the percentages that I found best so far.

Black Fire - didn't care for it
Dark Vapture - 4%
Desert Ship - 2%
Oryental 4 - 2%
RY4 - 2%
Shade - 2%

Black Cherry - 6%
Bread Crust - 2%
Carmel - 2%
Capacino - 2%
Catalan Cream - 2%
Cocoa - 4%
Fig - 2%
Fresh Cream - 2%
Hazelnut - 2%
Vanilla - 6%

Mick,

Post a list of the flavors you have, and where you bought them and I'll try and help you with a recipe.

Pete

P.S. Let me know what level NIC you bought and what mg you vape.

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
See...Flavors are soooo subjective. Black Fire is one of my favorites. I kid you not!

Let me guess...Were you drinking a Starbuck's when you were deciding on what flavors to order?:blink:

I don't have much time at the moment, but could you tell me what type of recipes you had in mind when ordered these flavors? Do you want to make variations on your capacino?

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread