Florida Cigarette Tax Hike $1 Per Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraeleven

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Florida, USA
"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Smokers will pay an additional $1 tax on a pack of cigarettes under one of 65 new state laws going into effect Wednesday, including a $66.5 billion budget.

Florida's previous 34-cents-a-pack cigarette tax was among the nation's lowest. It's going up to $1.34 through what's called a "surcharge" in the Protecting Florida's Health Act. The law also increases a 25 percent tax on the wholesale price of other tobacco products except for cigars, which are exempt, to 60 percent.

That's on top of higher federal tobacco taxes consumers began paying April 1. Cigarettes went up by 62 cents a pack, bringing the federal tax to $1.01. The federal tax also increased from 5 to 40 cents on large cigars and a bit less for smaller ones.

Besides raising more than $900 million a year for health care, sponsors say they hope Florida's higher tobacco taxes will encourage smokers to kick their often fatal habit and discourage young people from taking it up.

Smoker Sandy Milton said it may be just the extra push she needs to stop.

"If I don't quit any time soon, this habit is going to break my pocketbook," Milton said while eating at Arbetter's Hot Dogs in Miami last week.

Milton wouldn't give her age but said she began smoking before cigarette packs had warning labels. She supports the tax as a way to keep kids from smoking, but said they "are not using their brains" if they don't think it's bad for them.

Grisel Suarez, 52, said she may not quit but probably will cut down from a pack a day of Benson & Hedges to one every two or three days. She was unhappy but philosophical about the increase.

"It's like I'm being penalized," Suarez said at a Cuban bakery she owns in Miami. "People who like to dance will pay the high prices to get into clubs. Other people who like to buy expensive things will pay to have it. I enjoy smoking, so I know I will keep paying for it."

The higher tobacco tax is one of several new revenue sources needed to pay for the $66.5 billion in spending during the budget year beginning Wednesday." :evil:

lauraeleven

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Florida, USA
So I went into a Handy Way store to get a yoohoo and the guy in front of me is buying three packs of benson and hedges......grand total $21 bucks, he almost fainted even the cashier had to look again, so he gives her his credit card anyways still looking stunned....so I quickly said to him to check out e-cigarettes because they are really working for me big time!
and he said "you bet I will".

Should I adjust my smoke free meter?? I bought my last carton of analogs last wednesday, with the federal tax added it was $22.43 NOW it would cost $34 something.....earlier this year i was paying $15 for a carton of 305's.

All I can say is Thank God for e-cigs!

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
It's went crazy. All the new taxes are of the reason's I finally said enough and was going to quit. I then heard about e-cigs and well have been a happy camper and no analogs for little over 2 weeks now.
Should see the price of Marlboro's .. good god.
Over here alot of people are crossing the state line and buying them.
I almost felt quilty about what I spent on e-cigs until I sat down with a calculator, not feeling bad about it now and I enjoy it way more actually than the nasty ole ciggies.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Higher Florida cigarette tax could increase sales of e-cigarettes - St. Petersburg Times

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration spent several months investigating e-cigarettes. FDA spokeswoman Karen Riley told me the agency has determined e-cigarettes, as well as e-cigars and e-pipes, are "drug device combustion products.""

"Antismoking groups, from the American Lung Association and American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network to the American Heart Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, all call for e-cigarettes to be removed from the market. "

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
Higher Florida cigarette tax could increase sales of e-cigarettes - St. Petersburg Times

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration spent several months investigating e-cigarettes. FDA spokeswoman Karen Riley told me the agency has determined e-cigarettes, as well as e-cigars and e-pipes, are "drug device combustion products.""

"Antismoking groups, from the American Lung Association and American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network to the American Heart Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, all call for e-cigarettes to be removed from the market. "
They're such hypocrites.. they're only concern is they will lose out on the tax money.
If the e-cigs were taxed the way analogs are, they would be singing the praises of them.. pfffft.. * big middle finger to our goverment*

lauraeleven

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Florida, USA
Well with all the money i am saving switching to e-cigs maybe I should stock up on everything and then if they ban their use....well then they will have to come and take my PV.... from my cold dead hands. :)

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Happened in Rhode Island about 3 months ago. Largest tax hike on cigarettes in history.

THIS is why they want e-cigs banned people. MONEY MONEY MONEY! makes the world go 'round.

Hey governments, it's called "compensation". Remember that word? People switching to e-cigs causes a reduced level of income, so you must tax MORE and DEEPER to compensate for the reduced TAX content of your money-juice machine. And as what I think of our wonderful gobernment:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

My new kits should be in today. And guess what, YOU CAN'T TAX IT! Whoo-Hoo! :p

Last edited:

Ehvam

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
New York, NY
I'm in Miami. I was out of juice for a while, and I was praying my juice would come in today so I would never have to pay a buck to these tyrants...got home and there was a package from e-smokey treats! YEAH BABY!!!
I just hope they don't ban these things before I get the money to order 5 gallons of juice and a couple hundred batts and attys. lol.
What .......s these people are. The call for the outright banning of PVs is as blatant as anything can be.
What happened to this country? When did we decide safety was more important than freedom?

Al Bundy

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
The anticipation of this tax increase in FL is what finally pushed me to pull the trigger and switch to e-cigs. I switched cold turkey to only vaping without any problems, I'm down to 2mg juice, which with my current stash will last me 6 years.

For the politicians in FL, enjoy the revenue shortfall. There is literally no way you'll ever squeeze a cent out of me on nicotine anything ever again.

I'll also be voting against that lib in Republican clothing Crist from here on out.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
This is all i have been hearing about the last 2 days. Holy Cow, I just paid almost $20 for a 3 pack special of Marlboro's. hehehe. Then i whip out my 901 or Bulli and say NOT ME... LOL. I have been tired of the tax increase on everything fun. SIN tax, What a crock. I personally have not been buying anything that is heavily government taxed and staying away from anything they have their paws in like Bank of America and what nots. If I diden't need to buy gas i would not buy that either!
Us people in Florida are lucky that there is a bunch of cigar manufacturers in Tampa or the Cigar tax would of blindsided cigar smokers also. Have-a-Tampa put up a good fight to make cigars exempt from the July 1's tax hike. I hope e-cig suppliers have this kind of voice when big brother figures out a way to tax the PV.
Totally Wicked is in the Tampa area, No tax hike for tobacco flavored e-liquid yet LOL.

Last edited:
I was trying to find out the date the latest tax was to start down here and low and behold in the comment section to a news article led me to this forum. I had never heard of e-cigs before this week. I have already placed an order. It's time I quit the the taxed cigs. I have tried everything from (with the exception of hypnosis) prescriptions, patches and cold turkey . The last was nearly $300 for cold lazer therapy. All that did was relax me and I couldn't wait to fire another analog up once I got in my car.

My hubby bought me the Njoy Pro at a convience store, but I'm waiting on the 901. I don't like the color of Njoy since it looks like a regular cig. Also not sure where to get the supplies for it. The convience store cartridges may cost more than the taxed analogs 8-o.

Glad I found this place, everyone seems so helpful.:thumb:

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Sweet work. We have a genuine artist in our midst :D

lauraeleven

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Florida, USA
Welcome, and keep reading this forum for the best advice on getting an e-cig that works for you.

I started vaping with a JOYE 510 last Sunday and I have not looked back since! I have no desire to smoke at all and this after 30 years and ending up smoking 2 1/2 packs a day........I call it miracle.

I will not be buying cigarettes ever again......the government can kiss my tush! ;)

I was trying to find out the date the latest tax was to start down here and low and behold in the comment section to a news article led me to this forum. I had never heard of e-cigs before this week. I have already placed an order. It's time I quit the the taxed cigs. I have tried everything from (with the exception of hypnosis) prescriptions, patches and cold turkey . The last was nearly $300 for cold lazer therapy. All that did was relax me and I couldn't wait to fire another analog up once I got in my car.

My hubby bought me the Njoy Pro at a convience store, but I'm waiting on the 901. I don't like the color of Njoy since it looks like a regular cig. Also not sure where to get the supplies for it. The convience store cartridges may cost more than the taxed analogs 8-o.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL

Hi and welcome to the forums. Yes everyone is quite helpfull here and have a answer to your problems with your njoy. Breeze through some of the how to's and diy section to refill your cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread