Fogger V4.1 (4.4) - thin vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon2501

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Greenville, SC USA
I'm having trouble with my new Fogger V4.1 (4.4) that I got from Sweet Vapes. I'm not getting a dry hit per se (no burning wick taste), but I'm also not getting much vapor from it, and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. Here's my setup:

2X 1/16" 30ga. 12 wrap microcoils (total build reads at 1.2 ohms) w/ organic cotton
hcigar Nemesis clone w/ Efest 18350 purple 10amp

I'm trying for a compact overall unit, which is why I went with the 1.2 ohm build - so I wouldn't overtax the 18350. If I'd tried to use 28ga., I don't think the coils would be small enough to fit in the chimney.

I've tried stuffing the wicks down into the channels, and also resting them on top of the channels as shown here. I've got the coils positioned over the air inlets, at an even height with where the leads connect with the posts. I've tried it with the airflow control ring at every position, and also with the ring removed entirely. Airflow is certainly better than my KFL+, so I don't think that's the issue. I don't think there's a wicking issue either, as the wicks are nice and wet when I drain and disassemble the thing to check. No flooding issues with the 'wicks sitting on top of the channels' setup.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
I think you have a power problem. 1.2ohm might seem low, but it's really not when you have dual coils. 1.2 ohms is over 13 watts, but that will be divided among the two coils, so only 6.5 watts per coil.
Do you have a VV/VW you can put the fogger on? If so, if so, crank it up. I find my dual coil RTAs dont perform very well in mechs unless I'm sub-ohm, between .5 and .75ohms. The Fogger hits pretty well around .6ohms.
If you want to want to minimize strain on an 18350, then dual coils is not the answer.

Halcyon2501

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Greenville, SC USA
Hmm, maybe my math is off. This is what I had calculated for the build:

2x single 2.4 ohm coils in parallel = 1.2 ohms.
A single 1.2 ohm coil @ 4.2 volts = 14.7 watts & 3.5 amp draw.
Amp draw is doubled for a dual coil setup, so the total amp draw is 7 amps, which should we well within the realm of my Efest purples, which are rated at 10 amps.

I also tried it on an Efest 18650 purple (35 amp) battery in my Nemesis before you asked, and the result was the same.

However, Just tried it on my iTaste SVD set at 14.5 watts, and the results were a bit better. I went back and tried it on a freshly charged 18650/Nemesis combo, and the results were better there, too. I guess the 18650 I tried it on before was partly discharged.

Phooey. I was looking to create a small setup with a tank for on-the-go vapage, and I was hoping that the Fogger/18350 mech combo would give better airflow than my previous KFL+/18350 mech combo, but I guess the 350 can't push enough amps to run a dual coil setup. I guess there's no point in trying to single coil the Fogger? I'm sure it would lead to flooding issues...

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
You're close. 14.7 watts isnt what you'll see at the Fogger, considering drop from the mod and Fogger connections. In addition, your battery will fall from 4.2 volts pretty quickly. Figuring 4v, you're looking at about 13.3 watts, BUT that will be split between two coils, so a little over 6.5 watts per coil. Likewise your amps are halved. So each coil is getting only 6.5 watts, and 1.7ish amps.
As you've discovered, even at 14.5 watts, its barely enough to push dual coils over 1ohm.

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Hmm, maybe my math is off. This is what I had calculated for the build:

2x single 2.4 ohm coils in parallel = 1.2 ohms.
A single 1.2 ohm coil @ 4.2 volts = 14.7 watts & 3.5 amp draw.
Amp draw is doubled for a dual coil setup, so the total amp draw is 7 amps, which should we well within the realm of my Efest purples, which are rated at 10 amps.

I also tried it on an Efest 18650 purple (35 amp) battery in my Nemesis before you asked, and the result was the same.

However, Just tried it on my iTaste SVD set at 14.5 watts, and the results were a bit better. I went back and tried it on a freshly charged 18650/Nemesis combo, and the results were better there, too. I guess the 18650 I tried it on before was partly discharged.

Phooey. I was looking to create a small setup with a tank for on-the-go vapage, and I was hoping that the Fogger/18350 mech combo would give better airflow than my previous KFL+/18350 mech combo, but I guess the 350 can't push enough amps to run a dual coil setup. I guess there's no point in trying to single coil the Fogger? I'm sure it would lead to flooding issues...

I think you are a little confused on your math. With a total build resistance of 1.2Ω (Two 2.4Ω coils), the total amperage draw for the build is still just the 3.5 amps as you calculated for a single coil situation, not doubled to 7 amps.

You have some room to go a little lower resistance on your build. For example, a 0.6Ω build (Two 1.2Ω coils) would put you around 7 amps. Safe for the advertised current draw limit on that battery and it would wake that Fogger up quite a bit.

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
I think you are a little confused on your math. With a total build resistance of 1.2Ω (Two 2.4Ω coils), the total amperage draw for the build is still just the 3.5 amps as you calculated for a single coil situation, not doubled to 7 amps.

You have some room to go a little lower resistance on your build. For example, a 0.6Ω build (Two 1.2Ω coils) would put you around 7 amps. Safe for the advertised current draw limit on that battery and it would wake that Fogger up quite a bit.
I agree with this...you can even try a .8 or. 9 ohm build. I have mine at. 8 and am using an OKR box at 4.2 volts...works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread