Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Former tobacco-firm researcher explains nicotine addiction

He gives a fairly good analogy using ear-muffs of how nicotine works on the brain on page 2. This though is annoying if true:

“My job was to create a cigarette that wouldn’t kill people,” DeNoble said.

DeNoble said he invented that cigarette. His employer decided not to develop it because it would have to admit that it lied for decades when it said tobacco wasn’t addictive and it would cost too much money to remove the 160 tobacco products already on the market, DeNoble said.

Rather than being hailed as the inventor of a “safe” cigarette, DeNoble was fired. His response was to steal top secret files that eventually became a part of the evidence that forced tobacco companies to admit that their products were addictive and deadly, DeNoble said.

I wonder if he was talking about those patents I found for PM's version of our electronic cigarettes or if it was an actual tobacco product.

Last edited:

swanee

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2008
me fi
A person can become addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products in as little as two months, but it can take as long as 10 years before the human brain ceases to crave the drug

I wonder if some of this super addiction comes from the maoi's mixed with nicotine when smoking. I was a pack a day smoker for around 6 years and after withdrawl from cigs and switching to just vaping i don't have any cravings comparable to cigs anymore. I can actually leave the hous without my 901 something that would have never happened on regular cigs .......

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
swanee - i am right there with you. it took me about a month after going completely ecig where i noticed that i was "missing something". after some research, i have determined that it was the additive in Parliaments added for "brand loyalty" purposes. Now that that addiction has subsided, i am not as attached even to my ecig as I was my smokes. I am confident that if I wanted to step down in nicotine, I could. Blaming the addiction on nicotine alone is far fetched, I think... The more I read, the more I find that nicotine and caffeine are so very similar and that it is the delivery method and additives that make nicotine appear so much worse.

Xak

Mar 6, 2009
Des Moines Iowa
swanee - i am right there with you. it took me about a month after going completely ecig where i noticed that i was "missing something". after some research, i have determined that it was the additive in Parliaments added for "brand loyalty" purposes. Now that that addiction has subsided, i am not as attached even to my ecig as I was my smokes. I am confident that if I wanted to step down in nicotine, I could. Blaming the addiction on nicotine alone is far fetched, I think... The more I read, the more I find that nicotine and caffeine are so very similar and that it is the delivery method and additives that make nicotine appear so much worse.

Parliaments are not the only brand that use "brand loyalty" additives. Just about, if not, all the other "big tobacco" companies do this as well. I switched to myo(make your own) cigarettes a couple months ago and I noticed that my cravings went form 20-30 a day to 10 - 15. A huge decline. From what I understand, loose tobacco does not contain any of the big tobacco additives, but its still smoking.
I don't think I will ever give up nic but I am looking forward to vaping as a more lung friendly alternative.

Xak

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Parliaments are not the only brand that use "brand loyalty" additives. Just about, if not, all the other "big tobacco" companies do this as well. I switched to myo(make your own) cigarettes a couple months ago and I noticed that my cravings went form 20-30 a day to 10 - 15. A huge decline. From what I understand, loose tobacco does not contain any of the big tobacco additives, but its still smoking.
I don't think I will ever give up nic but I am looking forward to vaping as a more lung friendly alternative.

Xak

Xak - I only meant that my brand loyalty was to Parliament. No wonder my distaste for the Marlboros :) Well... I did have loyalty to du Maurier back in the day :oops:

But... you validate my point that nicotine is not as bad as everyone says it is. The nicotine addiction in tobacco cigarettes is actually quite minor in comparison. I mean, you dropped from 20-30 to 10-15. Are you esmoking less? I am. I went from a pack a day smoker to 10 ecigs a day. I cut my nicotine addiction in half. (Disclaimer: I know... I can't prove that I am getting less nicotine BUT I have cut my "cigarettes" in half)

Xak

Mar 6, 2009
Des Moines Iowa
Xak - I only meant that my brand loyalty was to Parliament. No wonder my distaste for the Marlboros :) Well... I did have loyalty to du Maurier back in the day :oops:

But... you validate my point that nicotine is not as bad as everyone says it is. The nicotine addiction in tobacco cigarettes is actually quite minor in comparison. I mean, you dropped from 20-30 to 10-15. Are you esmoking less? I am. I went from a pack a day smoker to 10 ecigs a day. I cut my nicotine addiction in half. (Disclaimer: I know... I can't prove that I am getting less nicotine BUT I have cut my "cigarettes" in half)

I actually have not received my first starter kit yet. So I have not vaped. I am still smoking myo cigs, but I really don't think I will vape any less. Nicotine is Nicotine, and since my myos don't contain any extra additives i'm sure that I will be vaping the same amount. just more lung friendly, hopefully

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I actually have not received my first starter kit yet. So I have not vaped. I am still smoking myo cigs, but I really don't think I will vape any less. Nicotine is Nicotine, and since my myos don't contain any extra additives i'm sure that I will be vaping the same amount. just more lung friendly, hopefully

you are going to love it. it took me about six months to make the full transition... i took my time. but in the first week i did go from a pack to about 4-6 cigs a day. Now, I am at about the equivalent of 10 cigs on my e-cig. either way... huge improvement. huge. :)

can't wait for you to get your first e-cig so you can let us know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread