fried coil, first rebuild, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekidzac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
okay so i burnt out my first coil on my evod and im going to take this opportunity to try a rebuild. this will determine how much i need to practice before i buy a rebuild-able att. i'll tell you all first that i'm working with a zmax v5 with 3V-6V 5W-15W (min ohm is ~1.4) capabilities. i want something that is going to provide me with a voluptuous hit with a short draw. i dont like huge clouds i just want a shorter draw.... anyways i dont have any clue. ive watched videos on how to rebuild them just havent heard opinions on what coils make what resistance and what the resistance do for the hit.

suggestions please (also include what settings you think would be good for the build you recommend)

hey, thanks a lot in advance guys (and girls) i really appreciate the communities help so far and can't wait to see what ya'll got for me.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I also use 32ga kanthal, wrapped around a large (2mm) needle, and cotton (cooking twine) for my PT2 coils. Mine come out to 1.9 - 2.2 ohm. The setting is something you will have to play with to get just right for the juice you are vaping. I'm vaping now on a 2.0 ohm at 4v and it's perfect. For a different juice, 3.8v might be perfect.

The downside to using cotton is that it gunks up much quicker than silica. The upside is much better flavor and vapor.

Here's the best place (IMO) to get the wire. Resistance Wire

thekidzac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
What size wire are you going to be using? Type of wick? I use 32 kanthal and cotton for my kanger MT3S on a twist and shoot for around 1.7 - 2.0 ohm at 3.8 - 4 volts. 28 kanthal and cotton for my Russians on a mech mod at around 1.3 - 1.5 ohm.

I also use 32ga kanthal, wrapped around a large (2mm) needle, and cotton (cooking twine) for my PT2 coils. Mine come out to 1.9 - 2.2 ohm. The setting is something you will have to play with to get just right for the juice you are vaping. I'm vaping now on a 2.0 ohm at 4v and it's perfect. For a different juice, 3.8v might be perfect.

The downside to using cotton is that it gunks up much quicker than silica. The upside is much better flavor and vapor.

Here's the best place (IMO) to get the wire. Resistance Wire

haven't gotten any wire, wanted to get more info before i did. how many times would you wrap (on average) to get about a ~2.0 ish coil? with the 32ga

i know its a trial and error type thing, just want to get a starting point i guess thanks for the info

Last edited:

Tmartin63

Happy Vaper
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
Coldspring, Texas, United States
haven't gotten any wire, wanted to get more info before i did. how many times would you wrap to get about a ~2.0 ish coil? with the 32ga

With 32, 6 or 7 on a 16 gauge needle will get you right there at 2.0 ohm. On a 1/16 drill bit they say about 8 wraps to get 2.0 - 2.2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread