Getting appropriate diameter of Rayon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
I managed to wick a coil properly with rayon and got amazing flavor, but since then, I just can’t get the right amount of wick.

I can’t find any videos about how to do it starting from that fat roll that it comes in. I know it’s supposed to make that squeaking noise, but it’s eluding me. I generally cut it in half and then just eyeball the width and trim. Is there an easier way to do this for my 2.5ID coils that will get me a better wick, or am I doing it right?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
When I work rayon, I use the Scottish roll technique. I'll start by gently pulling the rope apart to flatten it. Then I'll take off what I think I'll need, and then roll the remaining portion up. For a 2.5 mm I'd coil, I find I need a little more than half.
Hth

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My rayon is from a big box of CelluCotton Beaty Coil I bought from Sally Beauty a few years ago, that will last me about three lifetimes :rolleyes: (part number 44060).

I don't know how thick your flat roll is, but maybe how I do mine might still help you. Mine comes off in a rope that's way too think to use as is. I cut a few inches in length and split off a thickness I think is about right. I compress one end and give it a try, then either add a bit from the discarded part or pull a little off what I'm using until it feels good. The squeaking noise you mention is a really good way to tell when it's right, though IMO it is also part feel as well. Using this technique you can try a bit more rayon and a bit less until you think it's right, then vape and re-wick as desired.

One other thought. I generally use either 27 or 28 gauge wire. With cotton, when I feel I have enough of it in the coil I place the tip of a finger lightly on the coil to stop it from moving too far due to friction from inserting the cotton. With rayon, I need to do that or my coil will be ruined. If you use thicker wire this will be less useful but might still help a bit. I can't imagine wicking 30 gauge or thinner wire with rayon unless I wrapped the wire around the rayon before mounting it, it's just too flexible.

Experimenting with this is easy, cheap and not really too time consuming. And once you get a system going that works for you you'll have it licked. Best of luck with it :thumb:

ETA: Sorry, I read your text as flat roll, not fat roll, lol.

Then again, I now realize we're using the same rayon so just ignore the 'brainfart' part of my response :(

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
You will have to do "trial and error" to determine the amount of wick to use (just like cotton but Rayon is a bit tricky) Basically, it needs to be tight through the coil (and it's harder to get it through the coil) Rayon wicks very well and (generally) you can wick it very tight. Unlike cotton, when you twist the end to a point (to get it started through the coil) it won't stay twisted. You need to twist the end and the rest of the wick to get it through the coil. You also need to keep twisting (gently) to get it to go through the coil. Then, after it goes through, untwist and pull back/forth to even it up. After that, cut the "end tails"... no need to fluff them out (rayon seems to do that on it's own) Hope that helps.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
You will have to do "trial and error" to determine the amount of wick to use (just like cotton but Rayon is a bit tricky) Basically, it needs to be tight through the coil (and it's harder to get it through the coil) Rayon wicks very well and (generally) you can wick it very tight. Unlike cotton, when you twist the end to a point (to get it started through the coil) it won't stay twisted. You need to twist the end and the rest of the wick to get it through the coil. You also need to keep twisting (gently) to get it to go through the coil. Then, after it goes through, untwist and pull back/forth to even it up. After that, cut the "end tails"... no need to fluff them out (rayon seems to do that on it's own) Hope that helps.

I did try that twisting technique on 30 gauge single round coil and I got it in there snug as a bug. The vape didn’t feel right, and taking it out completely deformed the coil, idk. Probably just a little too much?

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
My rayon is from a big box of CelluCotton Beaty Coil I bought from Sally Beauty a few years ago, that will last me about three lifetimes :rolleyes: (part number 44060).

I don't know how thick your flat roll is, but maybe how I do mine might still help you. Mine comes off in a rope that's way too think to use as is. I cut a few inches in length and split off a thickness I think is about right. I compress one end and give it a try, then either add a bit from the discarded part or pull a little off what I'm using until it feels good. The squeaking noise you mention is a really good way to tell when it's right, though IMO it is also part feel as well. Using this technique you can try a bit more rayon and a bit less until you think it's right, then vape and re-wick as desired.

One other thought. I generally use either 27 or 28 gauge wire. With cotton, when I feel I have enough of it in the coil I place the tip of a finger lightly on the coil to stop it from moving too far due to friction from inserting the cotton. With rayon, I need to do that or my coil will be ruined. If you use thicker wire this will be less useful but might still help a bit. I can't imagine wicking 30 gauge or thinner wire with rayon unless I wrapped the wire around the rayon before mounting it, it's just too flexible.

Experimenting with this is easy, cheap and not really too time consuming. And once you get a system going that works for you you'll have it licked. Best of luck with it :thumb:

ETA: Sorry, I read your text as flat roll, not fat roll, lol.

Then again, I now realize we're using the same rayon so just ignore the 'brainfart' part of my response :(

Yeah I usually use my finger to hold the coil down, but because it’s so fragile, I don’t think I get enough in there. Maybe I’ll stick with cotton for my 30 and 32 gauge builds and rayon for my 28. I tried using like 70% of a roll last night and it just felt like too much. Rolling the end of it barely got it down to the coil size, I had to trim some at an angle just to feed it through. I’m sure I’ll get it eventually

Reactions: Ryedan

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
When I work rayon, I use the Scottish roll technique. I'll start by gently pulling the rope apart to flatten it. Then I'll take off what I think I'll need, and then roll the remaining portion up. For a 2.5 mm I'd coil, I find I need a little more than half.
Hth

Would you be able to post any pictures? I’m a visual learner, although I do understand what you’re saying

Reactions: HigherStateD

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
BP Mods Pioneer. I’ve also tried it on my Hellvape MD

How u compare hellvape to pioneer??
Do u have any leaks with md?
Do u switch between those 2 many times???
I saw u said u wicked once and got good flavour but can't get the same wick....it's ok with experience u will get the consistency u want....but I guess maybe u must focus on one atty and one type of coil Soo that the only thing to try replicate will be the cotton :p
You are a fighter ...respect :p keep vaping

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
Might want to try 28 gauge.

That’s what I experimented on to begin with, but I wanted to lower my watts. I was using 15-17watts and my battery didn’t last all day like I wanted.

I was also burning the cotton after a couple ML’s and I was hoping maybe a different gauge would help, but it hasn’t lol. It was a hell of a lot easier to wick the 28 though

Reactions: bask

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
How u compare hellvape to pioneer??
Do u have any leaks with md?
Do u switch between those 2 many times???
I saw u said u wicked once and got good flavour but can't get the same wick....it's ok with experience u will get the consistency u want....but I guess maybe u must focus on one atty and one type of coil Soo that the only thing to try replicate will be the cotton :p
You are a fighter ...respect :p keep vaping

I switch between them when one coil is burned lol. I rinse and let it air dry and use the other tank in the meantime.

I have gotten good flavor from both of them, but I think the MD edges it out a bit. Wicking has to be perfect for it not to leak initially, but it will eventually leak, anyways. The Pioneer floods if there’s not enough wick, but it’s a lot easier to fix. I can unscrew the Pioneer and put the tank upside down, mess with the coil, and throw the tank back on without any problems. If I do this with the MD it floods/leaks/gurgles.

I also prefer the airflow of the MD, but I just can’t deal with the possibility of it leaking while I’m out and about, so it rarely leaves my house.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I switch between them when one coil is burned lol. I rinse and let it air dry and use the other tank in the meantime.

I have gotten good flavor from both of them, but I think the MD edges it out a bit. Wicking has to be perfect for it not to leak initially, but it will eventually leak, anyways. The Pioneer floods if there’s not enough wick, but it’s a lot easier to fix. I can unscrew the Pioneer and put the tank upside down, mess with the coil, and throw the tank back on without any problems. If I do this with the MD it floods/leaks/gurgles.

I also prefer the airflow of the MD, but I just can’t deal with the possibility of it leaking while I’m out and about, so it rarely leaves my house.

Hellvape md is very tricky....if u rewick use 3mm coil and use cotton.....u must fill holes with the cotton totally Soo the cotton must be thiccc!!! And don't let the cotton touch the aiflow holes or the disk....I usually just put a scredriver or the coil jig for 2mm just lightly form the cotton to move it away from airflow holes :p
Next time I rewick I will take a pic just to show u how I do it in case it helps...never leaks anymore

Reactions: borno

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    That’s what I experimented on to begin with, but I wanted to lower my watts. I was using 15-17watts and my battery didn’t last all day like I wanted.

Well in vaping, you got tradeoffs.

I was also burning the cotton after a couple ML’s and I was hoping maybe a different gauge would help, but it hasn’t lol.

That's right, because thinner wire heats up A LOT faster. I use 32g wire but that's because I use it on a tiny little RBA that can only really accept a small coil made from 32g (maaaaaybe 30g). But it's OK because it's only used to vape at 7-9 watts.

It was a hell of a lot easier to wick the 28 though

Fer sher.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    Hellvape md is very tricky....if u rewick use 3mm coil and use cotton.....u must fill holes with the cotton totally Soo the cotton must be thiccc!!! And don't let the cotton touch the aiflow holes or the disk....I usually just put a scredriver or the coil jig for 2mm just lightly form the cotton to move it away from airflow holes :p
    Next time I rewick I will take a pic just to show u how I do it in case it helps...never leaks anymore

I find 3mm too airy and less flavorful. I think 2.5 is perfect for me, but I do the same thing. I usually make the cotton look like a rainbow (never sits higher than the coil), and I focus the ends into the juice intake by pinching it together from the sides and damming it up. So instead of being spread out along the well, it’s more compact where the juice comes in. Thats the only way I could get mine to stop leaking. I actually got the concept from a YouTube video on how to wick the Pioneer and it worked flawlessly, so I just use that same method now lol

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    Well in vaping, you got tradeoffs.

That's right, because thinner wire heats up A LOT faster. I use 32g wire but that's because I use it on a tiny little RBA that can only really accept a small coil made from 32g (maaaaaybe 30g). But it's OK because it's only used to vape at 7-9 watts.

Fer sher.

How long do you get before your coil darkens and loses flavor? What do you think about me having to change coils every couple ML? Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I find 3mm too airy and less flavorful. I think 2.5 is perfect for me, but I do the same thing. I usually make the cotton look like a rainbow (never sits higher than the coil), and I focus the ends into the juice intake by pinching it together from the sides and damming it up. So instead of being spread out along the well, it’s more compact where the juice comes in. Thats the only way I could get mine to stop leaking. I actually got the concept from a YouTube video on how to wick the Pioneer and it worked flawlessly, so I just use that same method now lol

Ok good I just say cause u said about leaks with MD :p all good

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
    Ok good I just say cause u said about leaks with MD :p all good

Sorry, I meant it does eventually start leaking if I’m out and about with it in my pocket, not if it’s kept upright (whereas the Pioneer doesn’t seem to care). I think because of the large well, it would probably do better with vertical tilt if I wicked with your method, but I just kept getting dry hits. Especially now, with rayon, I need to thin the wicks a bit (sorta like a mullet) otherwise the ends pull juice away from the coil

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread