Not open for further replies.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
E-ciggies help 45% smokers quit
Cape Town - Forty-five percent of South African smokers who used e-cigarettes were able to quit tobacco smoking within two months, a new SA study shows.

In the first local medical study on the efficiency of electronic cigarettes to help smokers kick the habit, a team of doctors supplied 349 patients with Twisp electronic cigarettes, over a period of eight weeks.

Of Dutch origin, the Twisp e-cigarette is an electronic device that delivers nicotine through vapour but without the tar, carcinogens or smoke found in standard cigarettes.

All participating doctors agreed that e-cigarettes are a significantly more healthy alternative to conventional smoking.

The study's outcome revealed that:

- 6% of smokers quit within two weeks increasing to 45% within eight weeks.

- 52% of all patients reported both increased levels of energy and visible improvement in their physical appearance

- When asked what factors about smoking tobacco cigarettes were the hardest to give up, 49% of patients said nicotine cravings and 24% the habit itself. Twenty-seven percent of all participating smokers said that a combination of all factors (the habit, nicotine, the taste and feeling of smoking) made it hard to quit.

- When asked if an e-cigarette could act as an agent to overcome all the physical and psychological challenges to quit tobacco smoking, all doctors said "yes".

'Non-toxic'

Dr Clifford Hulley, one of the participating medical professionals in the survey, reported that "an e-cigarette is the most effective treatment method on the market for quitting tobacco smoking".

Prof Martin Veller, Head Vascular Surgeon at the University of the Witwatersrand, who also participated in the project, added that e-cigarettes have the appearance of normal tobacco cigarettes but are non-toxic.

"Motivated by my wife's experience, who smoked traditional cigarettes heavily until the moment she replaced them with electronic cigarettes, I have advised my patients to consider e-cigarettes as an alternative nicotine source."

According to Dr Kishore Deva, a Pretoria doctor who quit smoking using Twisp over a six week period, "around 10 to 15 Twisp puffs are equivalent to the same amount of nicotine delivered by a tobacco cigarette".

He added that the nicotine, present in e-cigarettes, is not responsible for the health risks that tobacco cigarettes hold.

E-ciggies help 45% smokers quit: News24: SciTech: News

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
When asked if an e-cigarette could act as an agent to overcome all the physical and psychological challenges to quit tobacco smoking, all doctors said "yes".

Dr Clifford Hulley, one of the participating medical professionals in the survey, reported that "an e-cigarette is the most effective treatment method on the market for quitting tobacco smoking".

Prof Martin Veller, Head Vascular Surgeon at the University of the Witwatersrand, who also participated in the project, added that e-cigarettes have the appearance of normal tobacco cigarettes but are non-toxic.

Awesome! :D

Way to lead the pack South Africa!

DominionZA

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
I am part of the 45%. Went onto the eCig 2 months ago and gradually slowed down tobacco as eCig took over. Last Sunday I could not smoke tobacco as it tasted foul and stank and that was that. The eCig is my primary smoking device and tobacco is history.

What an easy way to quit. Best thing since sliced bread these eCigs :)

From Gauteng though, so not really part of the 45% :)

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
I’ve checked back on the source and exchanged some emails. Got this for response from the supplier: “It was not a formal study but actually a survey carried out with 6 of the Doctors that sell or recommend our products, so the data is limited to what was issued in the press release.“ Good thing, though, that apparently some Drs feel convinced enough to let their private opinion known on behalf of ecigs. Again, nice to read - but not a formal study.

ECGuy

Unregistered Supplier
Oct 14, 2009
New Mexico
Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. I've been seeing this everywhere but there was never any actual data, so I wrote Dr. Veller. Here's what he said:

I have never conducted a trial on electronic cigarettes! The quotes you have read have been made totally out of context.

The background is that I was asked to give an opinion on the use of electronic cigarettes in clinical practice. Based on the experience of my wife being able to give up smoking as a result of such a product, I have on occasion advised patients to use the electronic cigarette. This has on occasion been successful. This information was given to the individuals doing the survey. My having offered such information has resulted in the study (which was a survey of some health care professionals) stating that I participated in the study (correct if stated merely as to what my involvement was) to my now having conducted the study (blatantly incorrect). After a recent publication of a similar statement in one of the national newspapers here in South Africa, I have instructed the individuals to retract such a statement.

Hope this is of help.

Regards
Martin Veller
Professor and Head
Department of Surgery
University of the Witwatersrand

Never believe a press release from a free site until you double check it. I'm still waiting to hear from the twisp guys to see if any real study was done, but at least the part about Dr. Veller "participating" are not fully accurate.

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I have never conducted a trial on electronic cigarettes! The quotes you have read have been made totally out of context.

The background is that I was asked to give an opinion on the use of electronic cigarettes in clinical practice. Based on the experience of my wife being able to give up smoking as a result of such a product, I have on occasion advised patients to use the electronic cigarette. This has on occasion been successful. This information was given to the individuals doing the survey. My having offered such information has resulted in the study (which was a survey of some health care professionals) stating that I participated in the study (correct if stated merely as to what my involvement was) to my now having conducted the study (blatantly incorrect). After a recent publication of a similar statement in one of the national newspapers here in South Africa, I have instructed the individuals to retract such a statement.

Even so, I like the article.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Never believe a press release from a free site until you double check it. I'm still waiting to hear from the twisp guys to see if any real study was done, but at least the part about Dr. Veller "participating" are not fully accurate.

The quote in post [post=493610]#13[/post] is a response I got from Twisp back in August, when those press releases had already been floating around for a while. At that time, there was no study.

It’s certainly not wise to spoil a relationship with professionals, who may actually have shared some positive views on e-cigs, by putting them out - and their reputation at risk - in misleading press releases. That’s loosing potential allies, highly needed for a long run. Not good at all.

ECGuy

Unregistered Supplier
Oct 14, 2009
New Mexico
Yes, Twisp sent me a similar response. It's amazing how things can get twisted when they start flying around the internet. Hell, now days even the AP is full of misinformation, half truths and horrible grammar. Where oh where have all the journalists gone? LOL

So yes, not a study, but a survey. Still good news that doctors recommend it and are willing to talk in public about it, and there are other real studies underway, but it's stuff like this that just fuels the FDA and the WHO to demand for real studies. Calling a survey of 10 doctors a "study" is a bit drastic. One of the press releases actually said it was done in South Korea. I guess South Africa, South Korea, South Pacific, all the same to some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread