Good battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
If I wanted to get a nemesis style mod, would this be a good battery to use?

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-3400-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-_p_4149.html

I don't know much about these types of batteries I just plug my MVP 2.0 into the wall when it goes orange and that's it.

What is a good charger that I would use?

Are the 18650's bulky? Is the middle size more realistic for daily usage?

I use clearomizers around the 2.5 ohms mark. I don't care much for low impedance coils and excessive current draw.

Sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong forum, thanks in advance for any help offered.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
I would suggest the red sleeve AW's, the IMR safer chemistry ones. Protected is okay, but safer is safer... Genuine AW Batteries at RTD Vapor

18650's are pretty big, but they last longer.

IMAG0506.jpg

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas

AW 18650 Protected 3400 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

I don't know much about these types of batteries I just plug my MVP 2.0 into the wall when it goes orange and that's it.

What is a good charger that I would use?

Are the 18650's bulky? Is the middle size more realistic for daily usage?

I use clearomizers around the 2.5 ohms mark. I don't care much for low impedance coils and excessive current draw.

Sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong forum, thanks in advance for any help offered.
They will work great as long as you don't go below 1.7 or 1.8 ohms.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

AW 18650 Protected 3400 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

What is a good charger that I would use? Are the 18650's bulky? Is the middle size more realistic for daily usage?

It sounds like you prefer the cooler vape of higher resistance coils. I can relate with that.

However, 2.5 ohm is kinda high for a mechanical mod. When I use a mech and a clearo/carto even I prefer a 2.0 ohm resistance, otherwise vapor and flavor suffers. YMMV though.

AW IMR batteries are what I use in all of my mods, mechanical and regulated. They offer the most consistancy battery to battery. Panasonic hybrid batteries are also a strong choice.

Genuine AW Batteries at RTD Vapor

I recommend the best charger that you can afford. The Pila and Xtar VP1 are the top two chargers available for vapors. A middle ground would be an Xtar WP2 II or SP2, or Nitecore Intellicharger, i2 or i4. I would avoid the chargers with spring loads and go with the ones that have a slider bar or spacers to hold the batteries. RTD Vapor has the largest selection available, good prices, and fast delivery.

Battery chargers at RTD Vapor

Last edited:

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
Thanks for the help guys, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

OK so here is where I would need some advice. I currently have my MVP set to 6.5 watts. Which should be putting out somewhere around 4v if my math is somewhat correct on a 2.5 ohm coil.

So now I see what you are getting at. If the voltage is just 3.6, it seems I would benefit from using the 2.0 or 1.8 to get the same vape that I am getting now. Right?

So this MVP lasts me approx 3-4 days of vaping. The thing is 2600 mah. So would an "AW IMR 18650 3.7v 2000mAh" last me about two days?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
the logic is sound, heres the problem though. the voltage on a regulated mod is kept at whatever you set it til the battery dies. in a mech the battery will "sag" meaning even at 3.6 it may drop to 3.4 when fired.
so they are charged to 4.2 drop kinda quick and hang around 3.6-3.7v for a while once you drop below this point it;s kinda unusable, it will stil vape but not real well, in the mvp it will hold the voltage until the abattery is down around 3.2 in a mech this is pretty low.

the aw is an excellent battery but for longer life try the panasonic 2900
Batteries : Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PF Hybrid 2900mAh Flat Top
this is the battery I use and should work fine in a nemi.

if you know for a fact you wont go below 1 ohm these are awesome batteries for long haul vaping.
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-chargers/panasonic-3400mah-18650-li-ion-battery-cell-ncr18650b
I run them with .8-.9 ohms on my roller

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
Thanks for the help guys, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

OK so here is where I would need some advice. I currently have my MVP set to 6.5 watts. Which should be putting out somewhere around 4v if my math is somewhat correct on a 2.5 ohm coil.

So now I see what you are getting at. If the voltage is just 3.6, it seems I would benefit from using the 2.0 or 1.8 to get the same vape that I am getting now. Right?

So this MVP lasts me approx 3-4 days of vaping. The thing is 2600 mah. So would an "AW IMR 18650 3.7v 2000mAh" last me about two days?

Well, sort of... A straight battery ranges from 4.2V on a full charge, down to 3.5V when you need to recharge. It will spen a majority of its life at 3.7V. As a vaper who is not looking to go sub-ohm, and is looking at a nemesis/chemesis, I would suggest getting a kick, so you have VW function. The nemmy has room for an 18650 with a kick. If you go that route, you might want to go with the 1600mah AW IMR's, just to be safe, as the boost circuitry pushes up your amps to compensate for lower voltage in the later part of your charge. You should get a full day out of a 1600mah, maybe a little more. Just depends on how much you vape, I guess.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
Here is the issue though. Those are all unprotected. The red AW's seem to be unprotected as well? That would be a problem in a mech mod without any sort of protection circuit.

So would this not be a better choice do to its protection?

3400mAh Protected Panasonic 18650 battery cell by Orbtronic

IMR batteries are unprotected because they don't need protection. They use a different, more stable chemistry, that is safer than a protected Li-Ion.

Note: the evolv kick2 has a resettable fuse in it as well as the VW function, so you would gain the benefit of that, if you were to go that route.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Here is the issue though. Those are all unprotected. The red AW's seem to be unprotected as well? That would be a problem in a mech mod without any sort of protection circuit.

So would this not be a better choice do to its protection?

3400mAh Protected Panasonic 18650 battery cell by Orbtronic
That depends upon what you plan to use on your mechanical mod.

Over-the-counter coils (clearomizers/cartomizers) are not that demanding on a battery so the Panasonic NRC18650B 3400mah battery would be fine and give you extremely long battery time. However, it is not a high drain battery, so it can not be used in a regulated mod, a mechanical mod using a Kick, nor for an RBA/RDA.

A better all-around battery would be an IMR like the AW IMR or a hybrid battery like the Panasonic NCR18650PD 2900mah battery that Thrasher suggested. Safer chemistry IMR and hybrid batteries are safer alternatives to protected batteries and are now recommended for nearly all mod applications.

I suggest taking a few minutes to read these two blogs about batteries, and then your understanding will become clearer:

Deeper Understanding of Batteries (two parts)

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What about the Samsung INR -20's? The specs on those look nice.

Samsung hybrid (LiNiCoMnP)
INR18650-22P 2200mAh 10A
INR18650-20R 2000mah 22A

These are a high drain hybrid battery and are highly recommended. The INR-22P is more of a general purpose battery, while the 22 amp INR-20R is more suited for the needs of sub-ohm vapors.

A large list of IMR/hybrid batteries appropriate for mod use is in the above link "Battery Basics for Mods".

Last edited:

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
Thanks so much guys. I read all the links. I do get this a lot more now.

Looks like I will get me some of these when the time comes.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001980/1233700-panasonic-ncr18650pd-18650-3-6v-2900mah

And I LOVE this charger. Just so cool lookin.

Xtar VP1 Battery Charger Li-ion FREE shipping from Florida

The main question now is this. If I did NOT use a kick, and DID use those batteries which "are" safe hybrid chemistry, how would I know they are out of juice?

Or should I just get a kick and those batts and call it a day?

IS this a good kick? http://www.madvapes.com/the-kick-by-smok-tech.html

Last edited:

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread