GOOD NEWS: My sister isn't smoking!!! And I need help with this article..¿

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
Okay I'm over here trying to read all of this but I've had far far too much vodka
far too much :confused:

She said to me: If I ever say anything like that, I hope a house does fall on me :D

I'm really amazed though, just how much better I feel in the couple of days since I haven't had a cig. I was thinking about how that related to vaping though..

Found this:

How smoking causes raised blood pressure and other circulation
problems
By Maria Leahy, Medical Director, NicoBloc
The inner lining of arteries and veins is called ‘ENDOTHELIUM’ and this is like
‘TEFLON’ the non-stick surface on your cooking utensils! The 4000 chemicals in
cigarettes are carried in the circulation around the body. These chemicals break down
the non-stick endothelial lining of the blood vessel. When this non-stick lining of the
blood vessel has been broken it leaves gaps and exposes the muscle beneath.
Prolonged smoking leads to further muscle damage, and narrowing of the blood
vessel.
15 minutes after a cigarette is smoked, the blood flow near the surface of the blood
vessel is no longer smooth. White cells from the blood are clinging to the vessels
wall; either rolling along it or completely stuck, some singly, some in clumps. This
helps form an unwanted clot.
Smoking affects normal cholesterol. Cholesterol is divided into high-density
lipoproteins (HDL), low-density lipoproteins (LDL) and very low-density lipoproteins
(VDL). A higher ratio of HDL’s to LDL’s and VDL’s may offer protection against
heart disease. The ratios are reduced in those who smoke where the HDL’s are lower
thus increasing the risk of circulatory problems.
There is an added problem for smokers - carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is not
usually present in blood. A percentage of a smoker’s blood is made up of carbon
monoxide, and is in direct proportion to the level of smoking. All blood flows through
the right side of the heart and then to the lungs to be oxygenated where it is then
returned to the left side of the heart and pumped around the body. The presence of
carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the cell.
To compensate for this the body creates extra red blood cells. This make the blood
thicker and harder to pump which in turn make extra work on the heart and the whole
circulation in general, thus pushing up the blood pressure. Smoker’s plasma also has
extra clotting protein making it thicker and permanently sticky. The endothelium is
more than a non-stick surface. It holds the vessel wall open by keeping the muscle
relaxed and repairing any damage as it occurs. Nicotine restricts this normal
mechanism.
Nicotine whether delivered by cigarette or via NRT (e.g. patches, gum, microtabs,
etc.) affects circulation. Nicotine travels through the bloodstream to the brain, and
then is delivered to the rest of the body.
Nicotine alters a smoker's blood pressure, heart rate, and even their metabolism.
Nicotine moves right into the lining of small blood vessels causing them to narrow
thus reducing the blood flow to the organs in the body. Nicotine can inhibit the
production of prostacyclin, a potent vasodilator and inhibitor of platelet aggregation,
in arteries.

She said to me: But it sounds to me like the carbon monoxide is the main problem. The article says that nicotine "affects circulation," but if mainly by narrowing the blood vessles, I don't think it's that big of a deal... Now that we're not going to be trying to pump ketchup through our veins without a non-stick coating, lol.

----- Original Message -----
To:x.net
Cc: x.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:47 AM
Subject: Found that story I was telling you about a few weeks ago
From WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

At all my clinics, I always tell the story of the lady who eight years ago had a circulatory condition, Buerger’s disease, and had to have her right leg amputated. As you may recall, she quit smoking and had no further circulatory complications for three years.

Then one night at a party, a friend offered her a cigarette. She figured that since she had been off cigarettes for so long, she now had control over her addiction. If she liked the cigarette, she would smoke one or two a day. If she didn’t like the cigarette, she just wouldn’t smoke anymore.

Well, she took the cigarette. She didn’t particularly like the cigarette, but the next day she was up to her old level of consumption. Four days later she lost circulation in her other leg. She knew the reason. After three years with no problem and only four days after going back to smoking her circulation was affected. Her doctor told her that if she did not quit immediately, she would probably lose her other leg.

She enrolled in a smoking clinic that week and quit smoking. Almost immediately her circulation improved. The doctor took her off anti-coagulant drugs. She no longer needed them. Soon, things were back to normal.

Nine months later, I called to ask her to serve on a panel. At that time, she replied, “I can’t come. I have been in the hospital the last two months.” When I asked what had happened, she replied, “I had my toes amputated.” She had gone back to smoking. She tried one because she just couldn’t believe she would get hooked again. She was wrong. She lost circulation, had her toes removed and eventually had her leg amputated.

I have had other clinic participants with similar experiences. The reason I talk about this story is I again ran into her about 3 years ago, at which time she told me she had finally quit smoking. I told her I was surprised, I thought she had permanently lost control. After all, she had her leg removed, the toes from her other foot, and eventually her second leg. When I confronted her with that information she replied, “The doctor finally convinced me. He said, ‘You might as well keep on smoking, I’ll just take your arms off next.” That scared her into quitting smoking. Her next comment to me was unbelievable. She looked me straight in the face, dead seriously, and said “I didn’t need a house to fall on me to tell me to quit smoking!”

I still have periodic contact with her, and whenever I bring up that conversation, we both find ourselves amazed that she could ever have made such an irrational statement. She happens to be a very rational, bright and inspirational individual. She gets around on wooden legs, socializes, and even occasionally sings and dances on stage. Once she had broken free of the drug’s effects and the smoker’s psyche, she knew she could do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread