Status
Not open for further replies.

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana

If the pin doesn't work, any THIN blade, knife, will suffice. I stress the word THIN though.

Pliers are cheapys from Harbor Freight.

May I ask why you're removing the insulator?

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
I thought I had to to get it apart. I was able to get the button out with some needle nose pliers. I wanted to clean it and put some thread compound on it. The locking ring was getting a but squeaky.

I've yet to put "thread anything" on either one of my GPs.

When I disassemble to clean, I pull everything apart like shown in the photos, BUT I don't take out the black insulator.

I mildly wash the button(inside&outside), and I have a soft bristle brush I use to clean any and ALL threads.

The locking ring on my Lux & SS are flawless to date.

I don't know though, maybe some compound on the threads is recommended. Have you dropped in on the GP Series/VapourArt thread?

Edit: GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, GP Piccolo and more.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
CAUTION: Pls don't use any oil, grease, compound, vaseline, Noalox, whatever, on the Switch Assembly, anywhere including it's threads, IT IS NOT NEEDED!

All it needs is a mild soapy (non-abrasive) water solution to cleanup and a good rinse under lukewarm running water. And Bingo, you have a new switch everytime!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Polishing my Lux : What did I do / use?

1. Removed the end caps,
2. Cleaned the Alu-Bronze tube under running lukewarm water,
3. Rinsed it with regular dishwashing liquid and gently hand scrubbed,
4. Washed up and dried it with a paper towel,
5. Applied Wright's Silver Cream and hand rubbed along the length of the tube (see note),
6. As it dried out, let it sit for a while (just about 5-6 minutes),
7. Then buffed all the cream off using a Polishing Cloth,
8. Washed the tube under running water and dried it with a paper towel,
9. Now, used the same polishing cloth to buff it for shine (just about 5-6 minutes),
10. Then reassembled everything up and vaped to glory! Oh yes, clicked those pics as well;)

NOTE:
a) This was my first use of polish over the Lux.
b) For application of the cream no cloth, sponge etc. are required.
c) Remember to apply the polish in straight strokes along one direction. Preferably in length.
d) Avoid circular motions, b'coz that tends to drop-in micro scratches, which'd be visible later.
e) Avoid anything but a polishing cloth, or an old soft T-shirt. B'coz others will leave scratches.
f) Once polishing has be resorted to - maintain the sheen with regular dry buffing (just by polishing cloth).
g) Perform the after wash - b'coz that'd remove any contaminants, especially on the threads.
h) Use the polishing cloth inside the tube as well. Keeping the innards clean helps!
k) Don't use polish, alcohol, spirits, or any severe scrubbing on the Contacts (they've Gold over Silver, remember?).
l) I treat my Lux as a piece of jewellery. Take li'l care of it and it'd never fail... it cannot√

Thank you Perseas and Team-GP for this wonderful device!

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
It was Time for a Shine...

Do I love you because you're beautiful,
Or, are you beautiful because I love you?
~Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, Cinderella

I have yet to polish my Paps Lux. I love the look of naturally aged brass. Mine is building a nice patina.

Coldpunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
Columbia, Mo
Same here. Mines coming along nicely.

79052cfa04d503815c5eb00c62cf5940_zps0de2ac9b.jpg

dmska

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
I have the ss version and it hits plenty hard. I bought that instead of the lux based on price, and I didin't think that I would like the looks of the lux tube. The contacts are upgraded on the lux version. Fast forward a few months and I bought the 18650 lux tube. It looks really good and is starting to get some patina. I don't think it's possible to choose incorrectly when it comes to picking up a paps.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
To guys that have the Lux and the SS, is there a noticeable difference in performance between the 2? I ask because it looks like the materials used for the buttons are different? I also like the look of the SS better. Thanks.

I have both a SS and a Lux. The SS contacts are brass. The Lux are gold plated. I presonally don't notice a difference in performance between the two. I've never meter tested them for voltage drop.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
To guys that have the Lux and the SS, is there a noticeable difference in performance between the 2? I ask because it looks like the materials used for the buttons are different? I also like the look of the SS better. Thanks.

Hi,

In normal circumstances you'd most likely not find any differences. However, as your resistance goes down ~ that Gold-over-Silver plating starts to talk! Anything around 1.5Ω (and below) ~ you'd notice that "freight-train" effect, which many talk about in mechanical circles.

Moreover, theses 'platings' (even if it is Rhodium, or Silver, or 'Gold-over-Siler) makes our routine maintenance a thing of the past. They do not need cleaning (not as frequently), which brass or copper contacts would need (every few days). B'coz, then there's no oxidation on the terminals - and it continues to fire days together as it was when purchased.

If you 'only' buy one ~ I'd suggest go for the LUX*. The LUX is the better mod. It is my most used mod and I carry it everywhere, 99% of the time.

Good luck.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Hi,

In normal circumstances you'd most likely not find any differences. However, as your resistance goes down ~ that Gold-over-Silver plating starts to talk! Anything around 1.5Ω (and below) ~ you'd notice that "freight-train" effect, which many talk about in mechanical circles.

Moreover, theses 'platings' (even if it is Rhodium, or Silver, or 'Gold-over-Siler) makes our routine maintenance a thing of the past. They do not need cleaning (not as frequently), which brass or copper contacts would need (every few days). B'coz, then there's no oxidation on the terminals - and it continues to fire days together as it was when purchased.

If you 'only' buy one ~ I'd suggest go for the LUX*. The LUX is the better mod. It is my most used mod and I carry it everywhere, 99% of the time.

Good luck.

I agree with this. The major difference between the two is maintenance. Brass, as in the SS version, tarnishes. Gold, as in the Lux version, doesn't. The contacts in my SS Paps need to be shined up every few days. The ones in the Lux don't. Once in a while they just get wiped off with a soft damp cloth. Fortunately, I like the look of aged brass, so I don't polish the tube on my Lux. Some people are obsessive about keeping the tube shiny. I'm not. I like having a nice patina on the tube.
Other than that, the only way you would maybe tell the difference in performance between the two, is if you had a Lux and a SS side by side, and switched the same atty, and the same battery, from one to the other. If you are sensitive enough, you might notice one hitting harder than the other. You might not. But even if you did, the difference wouldn't be drastic.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Great info guys, thanks. Have a few more questions... Can you only buy the paps v2.5 with an 18350 tube? If you want an 18650, you'd have to buy the tube separately? Also, the GP PAPS Switch version 2.5 they're selling by itself is an ss button right? Lastly, do you buy from domo or vapourart?

Correct. The Paps SS and Lux come with the 18350 tube. You have to buy the longer tubes separately. The Paps X comes with extension sleeves, so you can use 18350, 490, and 650. The 2.5 switch is a brass button and contacts, but the housing is stainless. Personally, I buy my Vapourart stuff from Domo. Nice guy. Great service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread