greatest myths we heard about e cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

servolos

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
greeley colorado
wanted to hear what other people were being told by people who dont do ANY research on e-cigs.

i heard one recently in the smoke section; someone told me their sister was a nurse and she told him that e-cigs were worse than regular cigarettes. in interest i asked him why and he said that she told him that inhaling water vapor was bad for you.

so the doctors have been trying to kill me for years by telling me to have a HUMIDIFIER in my home? or using a nebulizer for albuterol is another way to kill me? now hot showers are bad?

i had to keep my mouth shut as there was no way i could say anything positive to him.

servolos

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
greeley colorado
When I hear stuff like that I usually ask the originating source of the info, usually it's a friend or relative but that's as far back as they can go. Then I give them some cards I printed and keep in my wallet with links to relevant information on e-cigs.

keeping a printed card with some basic facts is a good idea. maybe i should do that the next time i hear the "PG is anti-freeze" argument and i while i am at that i will point them to the ingredient list of angel food cake at walmart and let them scratch their heads when they read the words Propylene-Glycol in the ingredients list.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I don't guess this one qualifies as a myth really. But, I get a surprising number of people who are surprised to learn that vaping provides nicotine. It seems a lot of people really don't understand that. I explain, and quickly add that it CAN be used with zero nicotine if desired.

Upon learning that I am consuming nicotine, a lot of the same people will follow up with questions along the lines of, "then what's the point? Why not just smoke cigarettes?" If they seem sincerely curious and not simply sarcastic, I'll explain. Otherwise, I blow them off. Not worth my time.

aDHuM

Apr 5, 2011
Delaware
NCC,

I've gotten that a lot lately as I'm a newbie to the ecig. My friends are all happy for me that I've quit "smoking." But don't understand why I'm vaping now. I explain that there IS nic in them and that's basically what I crave (aside from the hand to mouth).

The "myth" I'm hearing is that its expensive. Pfft. Compared to analogs these things are a financial miracle. A small investment that will continue to save me a bundle! Never mind the savings to my health.

7SEALS

Feb 21, 2011
USA, PA
I had an argument with my friends mom about vaping. She is a cigarette smoker. I told her about e-cigs and showed her mine. Told her she should give it a try. She refused. I left it at that. Later on that day after I had been vaping awhile and she kept on smoking, she turned and said those are bad for you! I said why? She said its the same thing as smoking! You even exhale smoke! I tried to explain it to her how its not smoke and its healthier than smoking. She said, yea its new on the market, cigarettes were "safe" when they were new to the market too! Then she said, you just wait until they do further research and prove that those things are just as bad! I tried to debate with her about it but she was being so hard headed about it that I just dropped it. I am not going to force someone to do/try something they don't want to do. It just upsets me that they say what I am doing is just as bad. Especially since this was just a week or two without cigarettes. I felt crushed that night, as if I was a failure and that I was doing something wrong.

aDHuM

Apr 5, 2011
Delaware
You're definitely not at fault for her stubbornness. Maybe some more exposure to you vaping around her will continue to gain her interest. Maybe showing her some more information online or print some things out for her.

Education with these things is key. I was quite skeptical for a while...and kicking myself now that I didn't switch MONTHS ago.

Good Luck!

7SEALS

Feb 21, 2011
USA, PA
You're definitely not at fault for her stubbornness. Maybe some more exposure to you vaping around her will continue to gain her interest. Maybe showing her some more information online or print some things out for her.

Education with these things is key. I was quite skeptical for a while...and kicking myself now that I didn't switch MONTHS ago.

Good Luck!
I really could care less if she vaped or not, its her life. What bothers me is that she said what I was doing was just as bad as what she was doing and its not. I told her I would bring over some printed information and research for her to read so she could better understand vaping. She told me not even to bother because she wont read it. She said its probably all studies that are conducted by the vaping companies so they will show good results. I just left it at that and changed the subject. I thought about it for awhile and just dropped it. This is a free country and she can think what she wants and do what she wants. I can also think and do what I want.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I had an argument with my friends mom about vaping. She is a cigarette smoker. I told her about e-cigs and showed her mine. Told her she should give it a try. She refused. I left it at that. Later on that day after I had been vaping awhile and she kept on smoking, she turned and said those are bad for you! I said why? She said its the same thing as smoking! You even exhale smoke! I tried to explain it to her how its not smoke and its healthier than smoking. She said, yea its new on the market, cigarettes were "safe" when they were new to the market too! Then she said, you just wait until they do further research and prove that those things are just as bad! I tried to debate with her about it but she was being so hard headed about it that I just dropped it. I am not going to force someone to do/try something they don't want to do. It just upsets me that they say what I am doing is just as bad. Especially since this was just a week or two without cigarettes. I felt crushed that night, as if I was a failure and that I was doing something wrong.

It's kinda of funny she made that argument.

Things have changed. There's anecdotal data that suggests vaping is better for you. However, pre internet there was no way for a community of smokers (or anyone else) to compare notes. Anecdotal data isn't bad- you just need a lot of it. So these days a lot of what we know about vaping is "crowd sourced".

Which is to say we as a community can anecdotally come to the conclusion that we are better off.

Be well..

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
I heard they put anti-freeze in eliquid...WTH!! Who would do that?!!

Pg is put in anti freeze to DILUTE it.it serves no chemical propose..but some people are ignorant of this and all they see is

Pg included in antifreeze..."oh this is bad!"

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Nicko

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
China
You are right that most people do no research at all before making incredible statements against e-cigs. Or maybe they just read some of the many ridiculous headlines demonizing ecigs and nicotine. As far as most people are lead to believe, smoking and any kind of nicotine use are all the same. It's harmful, and almost nothing will change their mind.

I live in China, and one of the most crazy comments I've heard is, "Wouldn't it be more natural to smoke real cigarettes?" The question totally shocked me, especially since I had explained to everyone a month earlier that I had quit "smoking." After I composed myself, I asked, "Do you want me to have cancer?" The guy just laughed but also looked a little embarassed by my question.

Really, there is a huge percentage of people who JUST DON'T GET IT. Including politicians and anti-smoking groups who would like nothing more than for us to be squashed like dangerous bugs. After all, we are upsetting their comfortable world in which making the lives of real smokers as awful as possible is their favorite thing in the world. Trust me, this is a real war, and all of us vapors have a duty to fight!

zotzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Virginia

PG is what they use in the safe versions of antifreeze, so that if your pets drink it like kool aid, it won't kill them.

Antifreeze also contains a large amount of dihydrogen monoxide. People inhale huge amounts of it every time they take a shower in the morning, and it is contained in just about everything they put in (or on) their bodies. :)

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Pg is put in anti freeze to DILUTE it.it serves no chemical propose..but some people are ignorant of this and all they see is

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

You must understand, neither the government, nor the FDA are stupid. Some very smart people have got together and found a quick and simple solution to deceive the public at large. How wide spread is the problem - Fully global, I've heard of smokers in South Africa perpetuating the "Antifreeze myth". 1 Study done, and they pointed out 1 aspect of the truth, it didn't cost them much to do it, but they psychologically sabotaged the public.

These cheap psychological tactics have been used my the media for a long time already. They'll publish a head line which doesn't have to be truthful. For example here we could have accusations against a political figure such as tax evasion. Public reads this news. Later the media publishes a re-issue of the statement, explaining the misinformation. However due to the way our brains work, and how we are trained to file information, to the general public (there are exceptions) the first and primary information is what gets stored long term for instant recall. The effect gets better over time. Eventually in years to come, people who don't know much about e-cigs, When hearing the term, do a quick scan internally for any information they know about e-cigs, Since e-cigs were not that important to them in the first place the details of the reissue statement are often lost, and only the original headline is predominant in their memory filing system. Hence e-cigs = anti freeze.

Another point to consider is most smokers with no intention to quit will think of any excuse under the sun why not to quit, or to undermine your own personal quit. Very easy for them to convince themselves e-cigs = anti freeze, "If the government says so".

I'm just glad I personally found vaping, because without it, I would most likely still be smoking. I've stopped trying to convert people, because mostly I find people don't listen much to the details. They're curious upfront, but thats as far as it goes. Vaping = effort. What you put in is what you get out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread