Has anyone tried the Smoktech DCT plated cartos with 3 holes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

djej

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2011
Dallas
I noticed madvapes is selling the smoktech cartos with 3 holes. I punched one of my resurrectors with ONE hole and "tanked" it - it works great. Also, all of the dual coil cartos with 1 tiny pre-punched hole seemed to work pretty good. So I went to madvapes to look into getting some (1 hole) single coil 1.7 tank cartos (flanged), and noticed the 3 holes now.

One reviewer on the madvapes site said his had the 3 holes in it (maybe he was expecting 1 hole, as I would if I didn't see a picture of it), and said it flooded. If 1 hole has been "working" for so long, I wonder why they upped it to 3 all the sudden? It seems like if a modification was to be made, they would opt for 2 holes, not 3 :blink:. I hope they wick good and don't flood, because I LOVE single coil 1.7 on an ego, and I would also love to be able to buy pre punched 1.7 cartos as well. I know one small hole works for me, (factory punched or done by me - halo juice at that, so it's not all PG and one hole STILL does fine). It seems like they should give a choice of 1 or 3 holes for the 100% VG users.

I'm guessing these are very new? I've never seen them before today, and I browse around different vendors site's almost everyday.

Tycho

Aug 14, 2011
Tabernacle, NJ
Djej,

I have been using the smoktech dual coils from MadVapes for a while. Had the single hole ones for a month or so. Using Bounty Hunter from NiteLite the single hole carto's worked well enough. When I put Renegade RY4 in another tank with a single hole carto I would get a burnt taste every so often. Both juices are 65pg/35vg but the Renegade is a bit darker. Not sure if that should make a difference or not.

I got another batch of the single hole smoktech carto's from a local supplier when MadVapes was out of stock. Most of those would not work right, even after heavy priming. Constant burn taste that was driving me nuts. MadVapes finally got some in stock so a quickly placed an order for the 1.5 ohm with the flange. I was planning on punching some more holes in those just to see if it would make a difference. To my surprise all of them came with 3 holes pre-punched.

I have been using them for around 2 weeks now and they have been working great! No more burnt flavor at all, and no flooding either. Just one great hit after another. Nor sure if this is the same for everyone out there but they are working really well for me.

Tycho

demary54

Jan 11, 2012
texas
I have had flooding troubles with 3 of the new 3 hole cartomizers. First one was awful. Changed to another and it works great. Changed out one on my 5 volt passthrough last night and it was working great too but this morning i've had nothing but flooding troubles with it. I've blown it out, dabbed out the juice i can see on top, cleaned the threads and cleaned out the threads on the passthrough. At the moment it isn't flooding but i expect it to start up again at any time. I love the 1 hole ones a lot better. Hopefully they will get some in soon.

DarkAynjil

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2011
El Paso
I had the same issues at first. My 1-hole carts wouldn't feed correctly, and I had to blow into the cart to get it to feed. The 3-hole carts would flood. I swapped out all my o-rings, and now the 3-hole carts work perfectly. I think the 1-hole carts don't feed well enough in a perfectly sealed tank, and the 3-hole carts flood with even the slightest leak. My advice would be change out the o-rings on your tank, and go from there.

DarkAynjil

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2011
El Paso
I see no one is really talking about PG/VG ratios.

I suspect the three 'micro-hole' carto has been introduced to allow one to use 100% VG liquids. I have noticed that the single-hole Smoktek cartos have trouble with anything over 60% VG.

I have some juices coming in different PG/VG ratios (80/20, 50/50, 30/70), so we'll see soon enough. I'll post again when I have a different ratio in my tank.

nuggetz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Chicago
I'd like to see DCT's customized for different levels of VG. I haven't had the balls yet to try 100% VG in the Smok Techs with the single tiny hole but will try it tomorrow. I followed the instructions of the video that's floating around that shows you how to take a dremel to the carto and cut slices into it but that one leaked with 100% VG. Right now I'm using a DCT with the default pin hole on one side and a hole that I punched myself using a saddle tapper or whatever you call it and its working fine. I took the 2nd DCT I bought and cut it down to size on a band saw to fit with my LR Boge's (paper removed) and it works fine with a single punched hole.

DarkAynjil

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2011
El Paso
After playing around with different PG/VG ratios, I find 80/20 works best, but they all flood easily (small leak in the o-ring, or hard draws, sitting in direct sunlight, etc). The best bet is change o-rings if a tank floods, then prime about half way, and take 1 or 2 hard pulls, let sit, and vape. At least this has been giving me halfway decent results so far... Although I think 1 less hole might be the answer here.

djej

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2011
Dallas
I find that if you prime/prefill the cartomizer TOO much, it will probably leak. There's a certain level of catching up and using of the juice that's at play. If you start with the carto full, it gets backed up too quickly, causing it to leak. But you do have to prefill a little bit, because you'll get dry burnt hits right of the bat if you don't.

Also, if it is flooding, take the tank of the battery and blow hard into the BATTERY end. Being upside down takes the juice of off the holes when you blow, letting the carto clear out. If you try to blow hard into the mouthpiece while clearing it, you're forcing more juice into the holes (tank pressure). Upside down wise, your only (if anything) forcing air into the holes, not juice, but the juice that's clogged will come out the mouthpiece, clearing it up. Took me a while to figure that out!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread