Hello and Introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pervis

Jun 4, 2012
USA
Hello everyone! I am glad to find this forum. I suppose you know that if you search for "electronic cigarettes" on google, the first 1,000 or so hits are bogus click-harvesting advertising sites masquerading as "consumer reviews", "comparisons", etc. etc. These things are a cancer on the web.

I am doing this research for my wife who has MS and is wheelchair bound. She has become so weak that she can no longer reliably light a cigarette or hold it without dropping it and potentially setting herself on fire. She is also showing early signs of emphysema, so she is finally motivated to quit.

She currently smokes about three quarters of a pack of Misty Green (menthol) 120's a day which equates to about 15 mg of nicotine. She says her biggest enjoyment is the taste of the menthol. My initial thought was to buy her a menthol only e-cig and use nicotine patches to gradually wean her off the nicotine. That would provide more control than trying to use progressively reduced nicotine e-cigs, since she could compensate just by taking more puffs.

I got her some Nuvocig menthol-only cartomizers. Unfortunately, she says she can't taste the menthol in these. Then I tried a LogicOne disposable menthol with 18 mg of nicotine. She likes this one better but still complains that the menthol flavor is weak. I suspect that the taste she identifies as menthol is a combination of menthol, tobacco, nicotine, and the other crap which is in cigarette smoke. I am still hoping to find a menthol-only e-cig that will allow me to get her off the nicotine. I'm hoping someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Thanks!

Edit/Update: Wow! I have been looking around the forums a bit. Like trying to take a sip from a fire hose :blush: Apparently "the pros" seem to recommend a manual model. I don't think that will be an option for my wife since she has gotten too weak to push the buttons on her iPod and the pager she used to use to call me.

Last edited:

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Welcome, Pervis. I definitely think that the refillable cartomizer route is going to offer you and your wife the needed flexibility to experiment with flavors and nicotine levels that will work for her. I've learned from my own experiences and from reading what others have to say that one's smoking habits (number and brand strength) aren't always a good predictor of what nicotine level will be satisfactory. I'd suggest you read up, if you haven't already, on cartomizer filling techniques (It's pretty easy), and then find any of the many vendors who offer their juices in a wide array of strengths (0 - 36MG). If you buy two or three small bottles of the same flavor in varying strengths, it will be easier to experiment, even mixing them to achieve different levels (e.g., 50% 36MG + 50% 18MG= 24MG%).

Best of luck to both of you.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Thanks. I hope I can refill those Nuvocig cartomizers I bought. They ain't cheap :(

Others can correct me if I'm mistaken, but looking at their website, it appears they're not refillable, or at least not readily & easily refillable. And, as you say, not cheap. You might want to regard this kit as an early experiment and look on to things both cheaper and more flexible. I'm big on Smokeless Image's Volt cartomizers (Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette), and their kits are a good deal too. Vapor4Life is another popular choice-- Electronic Cigarette | E-Cigarette | E-Cigs | Vapor4Life.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
If you are looking for something like a cig, but that you can refill, I would suggest the Volt from smokeless image. The volt is the size and shape of a cig, but has incredible performance compared to other minis on the market. On average, i get about 3 hours out of my smaller battery. The cartomizers are well made and last and can be refilled several times. The customer service at Smokeless image is second to none. They are fast shippers, normally the same day, and they take care of problems right away.

The halo g6 is the same exact thing as the volt, however smokeless image is much cheaper, has better juice and the customer service is better.

The vapor4life is the same idea and size, but more money.

If your wife can handle a little bigger size, (like the size or a cigar or sharpie marker), I suggest the X2 battery from volt with either some cartomizers or clearomizers. The X2 comes in automatic, so all she would have to do is puff like a normal cig. The cartomizers are available prefilled, or blank. You can get a set of prefilled ones for $9 and the juice is $14 for 30ml. Once the prefilled one is empty, you can simply refill it. It costs about 20-30¢ to refill them.

If you do decide on the Smokeless Image products, you can use the code "sivolt50" to get 15% off

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Hiya Pervis, and welcome! Great analogy about sipping from a fire hose! I am new to this also, and although there is tons of great info on here, It can be very overwhelming. I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and I think it's so wonderful that you're trying so hard to help her. If the nuvocig was cartomizers and not a disposable, you likely can refill it. The thing with the poly fill cartos is, they won't last all that long with refilling til they do need to be replaced. Dripping would give her more flavor, but she wouldn't have the motor skills for it. I was NOT a menthol smoker, couldn't stand them, and not fond of minty ejuices because they remind me of that. However, I have heard several menthol smokers recommend a juice from Vaporbomb called arctic ice.
Arctic Ice E Liquid
From what I've read it seems many menthol type juices taste more minty than like menthol from a cig. But several have said that this one really tastes like menthol. My SIL is a menthol smoker and had found a menthol disposable that she liked, so I just called her to see which one it was. She liked the logicone you tried, but said there was also another that her smoke shop quit carrying and she couldn't remember, but thought it started with bi something. It wasn't the blu ones. Sorry I couldn't be more help there. If you do go the route with buying juice and refilling cartomizers, she'll likely want either a 80%pg/20%vg, or maybe 70pg/30vg. The pg, propylene glycol is thinner, gives more flavor and more throat hit (what it feels like to your lungs when you inhale). The vg is thicker, less flavor, but you get more vapor when you exhale. Since her complaint is mostly about flavor, I'd go with a higer pg than vg ratio. 70/30 seems to be a good balance between flavor and vapor, if she really wants to see the vapor as she exhales.

Can someone give a link or a company/brand name for good menthol drops? Someone mentioned them earlier, but I don't know where to get them or which ones are good, and I've wondered this myself for my SIL.

Good luck in your search, and many blessings to you and your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread