Hello! Let's start a journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, hello everybody! Second of all, thanks to everybody for the massive amounts of information here. This site has been invaluable to me as I've researched the various types of devices and tried to decide what is a good place to start.

It's time to kick the cigarette habit, and I have failed with the patches, the gum and the lozenges. My only options left are to try a PV or rewire my brain chemically and hope I'm not one of the "lucky" ones who comes out suicidal or homicidal on the other end. The pills are "Plan B."

My previous experience with PVs was some truck-stop trash from when the devices first started coming out -- it was not satisfying and you had to pull on it like a milkshake straw to even get the switch to operate. My grandmother has graciously loaned me her Nicotek Metro and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it made a decent replacement for an analog. However, it's not mine, it has a whistling draw so loose that the inhalation technique I read about here won't even turn the atomizer on (I have to cover two little ports where the carto threads on to the battery to make it even halfway work right), and the cartos taste like household cleaner to me.

But, the mini form factor is appealing to me, and the minimal care and feeding involved in the new generation of sealed auto 808s seems like a strong choice for someone looking to transition from analog to electronic to done. I'm not saying I won't continue to vape as a hobby after I've given up analogs, but right now it's more motivating to see a PV as a means to an end rather than a slightly less expensive habit to replace my more dangerous and expensive habit. I'm primarily worried that some of the more...involved...devices will lead to frustration, relapse and, ultimately, "Plan B."

So with all that, and based on what I've seen from users on here, I'm wavering between starting out with a Bloog or a Volt, as these seem to strike a good balance between performance, convenience and price point. I'm open to a 501 model using a cartomizer as well, but most of those seem to have shorter battery life and the good ones cost a bit more than a comparable 808 model.

Still, given what my goals are and how my research has led me, would anyone mind weighing in? I'm open to just about any newb-friendly mini that gives decent performance and won't set me back an arm and a leg. Thanks very much in advance!

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I think the volt is a nice little PV you get a good hit off of it and a lot of vapor and on the longer batteries I get about 3 or 4 hours of heavy use and if you got a kit with a couple of batteries and a PCC you would probably be good for the day or most of the day. good luck on your journey

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
Welcome! I've tried the volt - it's OK, but I immediately went back to the KGO. I thought I wanted the volt for driving, but it ended up that I preferred a manual battery so much more that I'd rather have the distraction. (You get better drags with a manual.) The good part about it is you can switch to the larger X2 battery when/if you're willing to switch to a bigger PV. Hopefully, they'll come out with rebuildable cartomizers soon.
Good luck!

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
There is a lot of praise for the volt, maxx fusion and also the smoov. I skipped all of that though and went straight to egos. I figured to kick analogs i would get over the form factor and take performance and battery life instead. I works outdoors too though and couldnt risk not having a way to charge and going back to cigs. Anyway you start, as long as it works, is awesome. Sounds like you are well researched and are ready to become a vaper so good luck and keep us posted.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
After about 6 months with a mod, I decided I wanted a Volt for the form factor/cig feel, an I could not be happier with it! I also am not much of a fan of cartos, but theirs are great. In this video, steeljan has a model of their carto that explains what makes them different.

Actually, this video is what made me want a Volt. Especially that opening scene. The carto model is at 2:54 if you want to skip to it. It shows how the coils are separated from the filler, unlike most cartos.

I still use my mod every day, but I use my Volts every day too. They are fantastic.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Here's a Poll:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hat-your-smokeless-image-favorite-flavor.html
and a thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hats-your-opinion-smokeless-image-juices.html

Thanks so much for all the input!

So it sounds like the Volt would indeed be a good starter PV so that's what I think I'll go with. I'm assuming the Cowboy is a Marlboro taste equivalent and Desert Joe is Camel, what about 555 and RY4? Any recommendations for which flavors to take on the initial cartos in a starter kit?

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Maybe cowboy is supposed to taste like a marlboro, but it doesn't! :lol: It's not bad though. 555 and RY4 are both popular blends, IDK about the 555, but RY4 is kinda a sweet, caramel type tobacco. Very popular in general, not sure about the SI version. You may try a sampler pack so you can try all the tobaccos. You need to pick up some extra juice as well for refiling the cartos. 1 pack won't last long.

Yeah, from what I was reading I should expect to exhaust the cartos included in the starter kit in...well...a day. I'd planned on doing a sampler with the starter kit and possibly a second sampler pack of pre-filleds, but still gonna need at least one bottle. It seems like a bottle of RY4, 555 or Cowboy would be good to start with, but the vibe I got from the review thread is that I'd be better suited to use the cushion that a bottle from SI gives me to find a good dedicated juice vendor.

Now, my plan has been to phase the Volt in, supplanting analogs a little at a time until I'm fully switched over. I guess I just don't...trust...the PV for those "gotta have a cigarette" moments just yet, like right after a meal or first thing in the morning? But I gotta say, I used the Metro on the way to work this morning, then went out for a break and had an analog and that burny cigarette was absolutely killing my lungs. For those who have successfully ditched the analogs, has anyone tried phasing in a PV and did it work for you, or did you have a more positive experience dropping the analogs like the bad habit they are and going full-on vaping immediately?

Also, is it normal to feel pretentious for using the jargon when you're only 3 posts old?

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Yeah, from what I was reading I should expect to exhaust the cartos included in the starter kit in...well...a day. I'd planned on doing a sampler with the starter kit and possibly a second sampler pack of pre-filleds, but still gonna need at least one bottle. It seems like a bottle of RY4, 555 or Cowboy would be good to start with, but the vibe I got from the review thread is that I'd be better suited to use the cushion that a bottle from SI gives me to find a good dedicated juice vendor.

Now, my plan has been to phase the Volt in, supplanting analogs a little at a time until I'm fully switched over. I guess I just don't...trust...the PV for those "gotta have a cigarette" moments just yet, like right after a meal or first thing in the morning? But I gotta say, I used the Metro on the way to work this morning, then went out for a break and had an analog and that burny cigarette was absolutely killing my lungs. For those who have successfully ditched the analogs, has anyone tried phasing in a PV and did it work for you, or did you have a more positive experience dropping the analogs like the bad habit they are and going full-on vaping immediately?

Also, is it normal to feel pretentious for using the jargon when you're only 3 posts old?

:lol: No not pretentious, just sounds like you are fitting in to this crazy bunch right away. ;)

As for how to quit- many people here will tell you that they never looked back after their first vape. Some people worry about when to vape (all the time, in 5-10 minute sessions like an analog, etc.) I did exactly as you mentioned. I bought a PV purely on a whim, with the intention to give it a good try, but I refused to pressure myself this time like with the NRT methods I tried in the past, because that was always my downfall. I hated smoking but as soon as I couldn't smoke I wanted to so bad I couldn't stand it, because I knew that I couldn't. So I said I would vape when I wanted to, and smoke when I wanted to. The first few months I bought a few packs of smokes. I will still smoke occasionally when I get around someone who is smoking. But I have made more progress than I ever did in the previous 24 years, and I refuse to give up and go back.

Bottom line, only you know what will work for you. Vape any way you need to vape, smoke as much as you need to smoke, just don't give up and keep moving forward. :)

It's good to know that I'm on to a plan that's worked for at least one person. 2 Volt starter kits (one each for me and the missus) along with assorted accoutrements like blank cartos and several bottles of RY4 are ordered an en route. A little jumpy because we just sank 2 weeks worth of cigarette money into this, a little less jumpy because it seems like I'm in the right place to make sure we get the most out of the new gear. Thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread