hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome. I’m very happy to be back with you for another review for Hellvape. Hellvape has quickly become a favorite company of mine to do reviews for. This time I will be taking a look at the Hellvape Dead Rabbit MTL RTA. The DR MTL is 23mm in diameter and has a dual post build deck that accommodates a single coil build. It comes with a 2ml tank section pre-installed but also comes with an optional 4ml tank section. The DR MTL makes use of four independent airflow inlet holes and has honeycomb holes on both sides of the deck that are supposed to help prevent leaking and flooding. As far as I know, this is the first MTL RTA in the Dead Rabbit series of tanks. If these work as good as they look then they should be pretty darn good. Let’s find out.

Ak6BJXL.jpg

bSZGOT9.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

• 1 Dead Rabbit MTL RTA
    • 1 Accessory Bag
    • 1 4mL Glass and Long Chamber
    • 1 Shoelace Cotton
    • 1 0.7ohm Ni80 Clapton Coil
    • 1 510 Drip Tip
    • 1 User Manual

3X8GDrH.jpg

1683637759120.png

SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES:

• Diameter: 23mm
    • Fill System: Threaded top cap
    • Build Deck: Dual Post Build Deck
    • Coil Configuration: Single Coil Configuration
    • Coil Fastening: Top Secured via Phillips Screws
    • Glass Capacity: 2mL/4mL
    • Airflow: Single Airflow Inlet/ Four options
    • Tank Material: Stainless Steel
    • Drip Tip: 510 Drip Tip
    • Connection: Thread 510
    • Contact Pin: Gold Plated

qJsWjtS.jpg

V0c93cK.jpg

DE8nMxC.jpg

qwclDiY.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Dead Rabbit MTL RTA is very familiar after having tested many Hellvape tanks. The Hellvape name is at the top of the front of the outer sleeve. The very large Dead Rabbit logo symbol is in the center with the Dead Rabbit MTL RTA name on the bottom. The back side of the sleeve gives a list of features and a list of the contents contained inside. Once the sleeve is removed then the familiar orange box is underneath.

1683638039417.png

1683638122587.png

I have to say once the orange box was opened and I could see the tank, I was very impressed with the appearance and simply love the drip tips that come pre-installed. They give the appearance of being made of stone but are not. The tips have a metal stepped structure to match the color of the body of the tank. As usual, Hellvape was very generous and sent the gold and silver versions of the tank for my review. I’m not usually a big fan of gold tanks but in this instance the gold is my favorite.

As you can see in the pictures below, there is a 2ml tank section installed on each tank but there is also a 4ml spare tank section included. I like that they made the effort to put the Dead Rabbit symbol on both tank sections. On the bottom right of the insert is a plain black delrin short drip tip if that is something you would prefer but myself am planning on sticking with the long tips. I like the way they look and function.

1683638187655.png

1683638238572.png

1683638285064.png

Just like with any tank that I receive, I break it down and give it a good cleaning with a little soap and hot water in case there is any residue left on the tank parts. You can see the build deck in the picture below which has some really good size phillips head screws. For once I won’t need a precision screwdriver to build on this one. Also the wick wells appear to be fairly large for an MTL tank. On the bottom left you can see the underside of the top cap which has a white gasket to help seal the top. The top cap is threaded and not the usual bayonet type we see on many tanks these days. The threads are very smooth. There are four honeycomb holes on each side of the post deck to help with preventing leaking and flooding. By using this design I suppose it slows down the flow of liquid. I’m not really sure what the red markings are on the silver one I received but that picture was taken before I cleaned the tanks and came off. You can barely see the gold plated 510 center pin protruding in the second picture.

1683638338778.png

1683638396154.png

The airflow control ring has four different sized holes available and does have a positive stop at either end. The four hole sizes are .8, 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6mm in diameter. I personally prefer a looser MTL so am fairly happy with the 1.6mm setting but could go for as much as a 2mm for my personal taste.
    iB3UYgq.jpg

The top and bottom of the tank are a little larger than the diameter of the glass tank section. This is supposed to help keep from breaking the tank section in case the tank is dropped. I for one am going to take their word for it and don’t plan on doing drop tests to see if I can break the glass. Even though there are two tank sections included, there is not any spare glass included.
    XnVV6mY.jpg

1683638523164.png

The build deck on the DR MTL RTA is really very easy to build on. On the gold one I used the included .7 ohm coil. The phillips head screws are pretty long and it took several turns to loosen it enough to slide the second coil leg under the screw after first inserting the other leg of the coil. I of course did a dry burn and wicked the coil with the included cotton thread. The thread is long enough that you could get three wicks out of it if you do it right. With the coil installed you want to cut the wick pretty short as the wick ports are very close by with the coil installed. I did a very slight comb out and inserted one side of the wick. I discovered that the other side was still too long so trimmed it before inserting it. From there it’s just a matter of soaking the wick and filling the tank. The phillips head screws are fairly large which makes it easy to use a good size screwdriver. Of course you don’t want to over torque the screws. I used the 4ml tank section on the gold version and found my sweet spot at 17.5 watts.

On the silver version I decided to use the 2ml tank section and used a 1.2 ohm MTL Clapton coil that I had a few packages of and hadn’t used before. I went through the same steps as above but found that I had most likely over stuffed the wick holes because the wick was not staying saturated and was getting some dry-ish puffs. With this coil if I went much above 15 watts then I started getting dry hits. I of course took the deck back off and replaced the wick paying closer attention to not stuffing the wick holes. With the new wick it worked properly. This was just a mistake on my part and these tanks really aren’t finicky.

v5HTA2D.jpg

9hEp4Xx.jpg

ldHQBQH.jpg

aEkmlLk.jpg

JmqeLPn.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I was very pleased with the Dead Rabbit MTL RTA tanks during my time testing them. I did not experience any leaking or flooding. I used a NET tobacco recipe that I have used for some time and have used it many times for MTL reviews. The flavor and vapor production on both tanks was really very good but I felt like the gold version using the larger tank was slightly better. I would have thought that it would have been the opposite but that wasn’t the case for me. Maybe it was just that I liked the looks of the gold version better but I don’t think that’s the case.

If I could change anything about these tanks then the first thing would be to make the top cap a bayonet style quarter turn instead of threaded. I know it’s a small thing but many of us are spoiled and like our easy off top caps. This second thing is just a personal thing for me. I would have liked a larger airflow hole on the top end. I think a 2mm hole on the top end would have been closer to my liking of a loose MTL. However those that like a tight MTL should be pretty happy with the four hole options on these tanks.

Overall, I do very much like these tanks and would recommend them for MTL users if you don’t mind the screw on top cap. I would like to thank Hellvape and Lisha for sending the Hellvape Dead Rabbit MTL tanks for this review. It has been a pleasure being able to present more Hellvape tanks to you. I didn’t forget. Thanks a whole bunch to you the readers that make it to the end of my reviews. Below is a link to the Hellvape website for you.

Dead Rabbit MTL RTA-Hellvape - The DIY atomizer leading brand
    YgNUHGt.jpg

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I really like your review and DR Is amazing.
    Thanks! I can't wait to read yours.
    Really nice review, hitt :) Nice tank.
    Thanks Fran!
    Excellent review Hitt!!!
    Thanks SMT! I did kind of rush this one at the request of Hellvape. They usually never put a deadline or anything but asked if I could hurry on this one. They are fantastic to deal with so I wanted to help them out. I'm going to continue using them and will report back on this thread if I have any issues.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Good review buddy.

Not a MTL user but the tank does look good,love the drip tip :)
    I’m not a big mtl user but do like mtl for Net tobacco flavors.
    Great review Hitt, how big of a change is the airflow with the 4 choices given.
    To me it’s a big change from the smallest to biggest. I like loose mtl and would have liked a 2mm or bigger. From hole to hole in order it’s noticeable but not drastic.
    Thanks for another thorough, detailed review @hittman !
    Thanks Pigs!
    I like that blue one, good review on it, like you, wish they did 2mm hole too, may still it a go though.
    I like the blue one also. Seems like samples are usually gold, silver, or black.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I like the tank but wondering if it has enough air for me. I am mostly MTL but I like my air. I don’t like a tight draw.
    The largest hole is 1.6mm. If I remember correctly, you have some tanks that use air pins so could compare it to the airflow on a Dvarw or something.

Reactions: FranC

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    With a drip tip like that on a Dead Rabbit, I was hoping they'd have two coming out the top, or have it split into two to make it look like rabbit ears. :w00t:

I like to see honesty in reviews, and I see that here. Nice review, Hitt.
    Thanks. I tend to run Net tobacco flavors in tanks like this. I rewicked the silver one recently and am running a new Net in it. I don't do a ton of MTL vaping but am liking these.

Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Thanks. I tend to run Net tobacco flavors in tanks like this. I rewicked the silver one recently and am running a new Net in it. I don't do a ton of MTL vaping but am liking these.
    I'm slowly warming up to MTL, but still have that urge to want to just inhale a huge dense cloud of vape from time to time, lol.

Reactions: hittman

Users who are viewing this thread