Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Okay, so a little earlier this year I accidentally made a new flavour. I was trying to cut my nicotine levels down, so the first thing I did was take out some of my old juices from last year that I got in low strength because I was having overdose issues and it turned out I couldn't vape them because they were, at the time, not strong enough for me. So they went in the idle box.

So I'm digging out some flavours, one of which is butter pecan from Velvet Vapor at 12mg. I decide to mix that with a caramel flavour from madvapes at 24mg, which ended up making an 18mg juice.

The thing is, it was the best damn juice ever. I mean, MadVapes' caramel wasn't anything to write home about by any means, but somehow mixing it with VV's butter pecan transformed the whole thing into something that was more than the sum of its parts. Even my wife liked it -- a lot, and it's been damn near impossible to get her into vaping because she's unbelievably picky. Why not just buy those two juices again? Well, I could -- halfway anyway, since MadVapes won't ship juices to Canada anymore, but I'm pressure the caramel flavouring they use is a mundane FlavourArt or something. But since I'm getting into DIY I thought I'd try and recreate it.

Three attempts later and it has been an abysmal failure.

See, here's what I've got to hand to try and make this stuff:

- FlavourArt caramel
- LorAnn's caramel
- Some kind of generic "Caramel Flavour Essence" (dunno who makes it, but it's pretty well crap)
- Perfumer's Apprentice pecan
- Lorann's pecan
- FlavorArt butter
- Perfumer's Apprentice butter (movie theatre).

I don't actually know if there was any butter flavouring in VV's butter pecan or if pecan flavouring naturally has a buttery taste anyway. All I know is that the two pecan flavours I listed above do not taste like pecans. Like, at all. They both have a really strong, almost amaretto scent in the bottle, yet they both have this flavour that's basically amaretto smothering something vaguely remeniscent of a nut flavour created from a sketchy description by someone over a bad cell connection with a diesel rig revving in the backgrond.

The caramel I'm not too worried about, it seems to be this butter pecan thing that's got my stumped. Anyone know if a good pecan or butter pecan flavour that has a nice sweet rich nutty pecan flavor to it?

feverrave

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2011
Okay, so a little earlier this year I accidentally made a new flavour. I was trying to cut my nicotine levels down, so the first thing I did was take out some of my old juices from last year that I got in low strength because I was having overdose issues and it turned out I couldn't vape them because they were, at the time, not strong enough for me. So they went in the idle box.

So I'm digging out some flavours, one of which is butter pecan from Velvet Vapor at 12mg. I decide to mix that with a caramel flavour from MadVapes at 24mg, which ended up making an 18mg juice.

The thing is, it was the best damn juice ever. I mean, MadVapes' caramel wasn't anything to write home about by any means, but somehow mixing it with VV's butter pecan transformed the whole thing into something that was more than the sum of its parts. Even my wife liked it -- a lot, and it's been damn near impossible to get her into vaping because she's unbelievably picky. Why not just buy those two juices again? Well, I could -- halfway anyway, since MadVapes won't ship juices to Canada anymore, but I'm pressure the caramel flavouring they use is a mundane FlavourArt or something. But since I'm getting into DIY I thought I'd try and recreate it.

Three attempts later and it has been an abysmal failure.

See, here's what I've got to hand to try and make this stuff:

- FlavourArt caramel
- LorAnn's caramel
- Some kind of generic "Caramel Flavour Essence" (dunno who makes it, but it's pretty well crap)
- Perfumer's Apprentice pecan
- Lorann's pecan
- FlavorArt butter
- Perfumer's Apprentice butter (movie theatre).

I don't actually know if there was any butter flavouring in VV's butter pecan or if pecan flavouring naturally has a buttery taste anyway. All I know is that the two pecan flavours I listed above do not taste like pecans. Like, at all. They both have a really strong, almost amaretto scent in the bottle, yet they both have this flavour that's basically amaretto smothering something vaguely remeniscent of a nut flavour created from a sketchy description by someone over a bad cell connection with a diesel rig revving in the backgrond.

The caramel I'm not too worried about, it seems to be this butter pecan thing that's got my stumped. Anyone know if a good pecan or butter pecan flavour that has a nice sweet rich nutty pecan flavor to it?

heres what i think happened
you cant get that flavour again because your juices had a whole year to steep!

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
LO caramel is not very good.
PA pecan is very faint.

So I'm noticing. I made a little 5ml batch of LO's caramel and it's terrible. I'm going to try the pecan straight (for both) and see what they're like on their own and then go from there.

heres what i think happened
you cant get that flavour again because your juices had a whole year to steep!

The VV butter pecan had maybe 8 months, but MV's caramel was still pretty fresh, and the mixture was vaped as soon as it was mixed up. As I said, MV's caramel is quite average (I'm pretty sure it's straight up FA flavouring) so it has to be VV's butter pecan that made the difference, and that's what I'm trying to reconstruct more than anything I suppose.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I find PA's Caramel (original), is nearly identical to FA's Caramel and both have a buttery like taste to them if you get the percentage just right and give either a touch of EM. It is somewhere in the 16-19% region for the caramel.

Only Pecan I've tried was from PA and it was only a few times a number of months ago as it made my vape very dry. I mean run for the faucet dry. So obviously I do not have that percentage anywhere close and lost interest for the time being.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Toasted Marshmallow for antidote?

Toasted Marshmallow is good, but I find FA's flavouring imparts a wicked sharp throat hit for some reason. I love a strong TH, but this went down like an exclamation point.

Okay ... so ... pralines is a great suggestion I think. I've got a few bookmarked I'm going to try. That mixed with caramel I think should work a lot better, since it's clear straight pecan isn't going to get me anywhere near there. Too dry-tasting. Pralines, Caramel, and possibly a small shot of butter might do the trick.

Off to shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread