Hi all, and an e-cig leak question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
Hi all, I'm a relatively new vaper, quit smoking several months ago. Started with a very simple setup, now I have a Kangertech Evod Mega (1900 Mah). I like it, but one thing was bothering me with all these things: they all like to leak through the hole on the thing which goes to the battery contact. This is what killed my first device's battery, then I recently bought this Kanger, it seemed better, but I was still getting flooded from time to time. I didn't want to kill the battery, changed the coil which was pre-installed, it became much better, I also changed my manner of vaping to longer puffs and it seemed to stop. But it was too early to rejoice, as I found out...

While I was at home, it seemed to be OK. I did not get this leak on the battery. However, when I went outside for a walk, I took it with me and tried to use it. First, I noticed that very soon it became pretty useless, I wasn't getting good vapor. I remembered that it was often the case when I tried to use it outdoors. But I would understand if it was freezing outside, however, it was close to +10C (approx. 50F). When I came home and after some time wanted to use it, I found out that it was all flooded, I even couldn't suck on it, so I had to open it, blow out all fluid from the mouthpiece and clean the battery. Then it started working again.

So my question is: does it mean that these e-cigarettes cannot be used outdoors at all, unless the temperature is really warm? It seems really strange. And it's a real drawback for me, as my employer doesn't allow us to vape inside. Is there a way to fix this? Just to give some technical details, the new coil I bought from our local shop is a 2.4 Ohm, as it says on it, it seems to be a first generation of Kanger coils, as I understand (two wicks on the sides and a white plastic cap on the top). Does it depend on the coil somehow? Maybe it doesn't produce enough heat in cold weather? I also heard there are some other types of new style coils, like V2 or V3, something like that. But I'm not sure they're compatible with my Evod Mega, though it seems so. And I don't want to try everything blindly, I'd like to get some opinions from experienced people. Thank you.

yardbyrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
Carrollton, Georgia USA
Hi all, I'm a relatively new vaper, quit smoking several months ago. Started with a very simple setup, now I have a Kangertech Evod Mega (1900 Mah). I like it, but one thing was bothering me with all these things: they all like to leak through the hole on the thing which goes to the battery contact. This is what killed my first device's battery, then I recently bought this Kanger, it seemed better, but I was still getting flooded from time to time. I didn't want to kill the battery, changed the coil which was pre-installed, it became much better, I also changed my manner of vaping to longer puffs and it seemed to stop. But it was too early to rejoice, as I found out...

While I was at home, it seemed to be OK. I did not get this leak on the battery. However, when I went outside for a walk, I took it with me and tried to use it. First, I noticed that very soon it became pretty useless, I wasn't getting good vapor. I remembered that it was often the case when I tried to use it outdoors. But I would understand if it was freezing outside, however, it was close to +10C (approx. 50F). When I came home and after some time wanted to use it, I found out that it was all flooded, I even couldn't suck on it, so I had to open it, blow out all fluid from the mouthpiece and clean the battery. Then it started working again.

So my question is: does it mean that these e-cigarettes cannot be used outdoors at all, unless the temperature is really warm? It seems really strange. And it's a real drawback for me, as my employer doesn't allow us to vape inside. Is there a way to fix this? Just to give some technical details, the new coil I bought from our local shop is a 2.4 Ohm, as it says on it, it seems to be a first generation of Kanger coils, as I understand (two wicks on the sides and a white plastic cap on the top). Does it depend on the coil somehow? Maybe it doesn't produce enough heat in cold weather? I also heard there are some other types of new style coils, like V2 or V3, something like that. But I'm not sure they're compatible with my Evod Mega, though it seems so. And I don't want to try everything blindly, I'd like to get some opinions from experienced people. Thank you.

There is a flash of blue lightning and YardByrd suddenly appears, out of thin air, levitating in the center of your field of vision. His wings are spread wide and the platinum "YB" medallion around his neck is glowing purple. You hear a deep, smooth, male, Latin, voice translating all but his greeting and farewell:

CAW! "Salutations from across the Realms RK_Vape! First lauds for your move to vaping. My experience indicates these things. E-cigarettes can be used outdoors; unless the temperature is extremely low (far below zero, say at least 10 below) performance should not be an issue. Changes in altitudes, say experienced by Truck Drivers, going over mountain ranges, can make even the best of tanks leak due to pressurization issues.

The biggest no no, error, and tempting mistake to make, with any tank, is over tightening and overfilling it. I suggest filling your tank to just below where the bottom of the wicks feed through the coil. When attaching your tank don't over tighten it; learn how to feel when it snugs so the o-rings, and seals, may do their job. When too tight a tank starts to wear at the seals and o-rings, usually at the base of the tank, because the seal/o-ring has been subjected to undo wear. It usually won't re-seal properly (leak) once the o-rings or seals are damaged. When attaching any atomizer, or tank, try to always grasp it from the base. If you twist from above the base you run the risk of placing undue wear on the seal (or O-ring) between the bottom of the tank and the top of the base. I hope these things will help you in your quest for a good vape. Please know these are totally subjective observations from my own experience and meant to help you. If you have damaged your EVOD tank you may need a replacement. Hang in there and I hope I have helped you in any small way. *pax* & ♥" CAW!

There is a loud pop and YardByrd suddenly vanishes in cloud of white vapor that leaves the aroma of Caramel Pecan Cheesecake in its wake.

Reactions: steam heat

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The temp shouldn't be an issue unless it's well below zero or so hot you can't go outdoors anyway. Atmospheric pressure makes a difference sometimes, especially rapid changes therein, like flying or driving over big elevation changes. Sometimes, in the hot part of the country we get some flooding issues from leaving an air conditioned space and going out into the heat. Welcome to the board.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
All these tanks leak. Some can go days without, others it's quicker. The new tech tanks use a different system where the base is solid & the airflow is from the side. What few people discuss (including the vendors) is just how bad the early tech is in this specific matter. Everybody is too busy selling 70 cent tanks for £5. I've not used a Kanger evod or protank or even aero in 2 years. It makes no sense when everybody can escape this problem with a solid base tank.

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
Thanks everybody for your replies. That's what was puzzling me, why it does that in such a temperature, it cannot even be called cold. I definitely try not to overtighten them, so I don't think this is my issue. As for overfilling, as I understood, it means filling the tank just a little bit, where the wicks are? Not sure but I will see, the real inconvenience is that the tank will have to be refilled very often because the wicks are at the bottom. And, frankly speaking, if the tank is large but can actually be filled just a bit above the wicks, it looks like a very poorly engineered design. But I don't think this is my problem either, I was getting it both when my tank was filled and when it had just a bit, and I definitely don't fill it to the very top.

But the really interesting thing mentioned here is that there are solid base tank systems. I'm a mechanic and looking at these things I couldn't help feeling that this problem could not be 100% avoided on a system like that. There is a direct tube leading from the evaporation chamber to the battery. So naturally, in case any liquid or condensed vapor gets there, it goes directly to the battery contact. This was always making me wonder, why is this built like that, why is there an opening right above the battery contact??? It's useless, you cannot draw the air in through this, since it screws in and there's no way for air. So the only thing this hole does is to let the liquid from the coil drip on the battery. I was thinking about a solid base, but I did not know if there are such systems. Could you let me know (or give me a link) to some names among solid base tanks so I could try them?

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
There are several tanks that have a solid bottom pin. The Aspire Nautilus mini is very popular.

Unfortunately, the battery you have probably doesn't put out enough power for them.

I would suggest that you upgrade to a variable voltage/variable wattage mod like an Eleaf iStick 30 watt or 40 watt, Kanger Subox mini (which usually comes with a Subtank mini), Innokin Cool Fire IV or Cool Fire IV Plus.

iStick with Nautilus

istick_30w_Nautilus_kit_for_ecigforlife__58807.1434589538.380.500.jpg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My attys don't leak a drop during the winter up here. My only con is that when its 20 below I have to be careful not to get a dry hit from the VG being too thick, already experienced that when I first started vaping and didn't think. I do get the occasional leak when we cross some of the summits but thats air pressure change and to be expected.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yes, of course. Changes in pressure (flying to shen zhen!) is bad news, and very hot temps. What one has to understand is the history of the clearomizer. (zzzz). The early ones were top coil, it seemed logical enough. But a bottom coil should keep the wick wet more consistently, they just needed a system. BCC has become the norm but boy have we suffered along the way. As many of us know SO many products came to market. It didn't matter if they worked 1 day or 2 weeks. Some barely worked at all. Yuk, dry hits or flooding. In time everything gets re engineered but until then there are lots of hit & miss products on the market. The mid range Kanger tanks are ok, but far from perfect. They are in the middle of vaping tech now, so millions of people use them and accept the limitations. :)

Reactions: Alter

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
Thank you. I have ordered and received an Aspire Nautilus Mini tank. It's genuine, I checked the number on their website. And I like it! Didn't really have a lot of outdoor vaping so far, but never noticed any leaks from this one. Thanks for you advice. The battery may not be perfect for it, but it makes enough vapor for me, and I'm not ready to spend lots of money in addition to the tank (and powerful "box" batteries are expensive, about $60 and up even on EBay). Especially as the output makes me quite happy, I don't really need anything more. Also, I found one other battery at home, from my very first e-cig, it's also a 510 thread but smaller. It also works, so now I have two bateries, when one is low I can take the other and use it while the first battery is charging. Seems to be working fine for me.

It's interesting that I wanted to try some other flavor (my first one was menthol and I got used to it), but found that I simply cannot do it now. Any other flavor seems to have a very nasty taste for me, and I simply had to stop because it literally makes me sick to the stomach. But that's not a problem, I like menthol, just a remark. I didn't expect this.

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
If you like the form and battery life of the EVOD Mega and do the mouth to lung method look into the Innokin Endura T22. Your problem will not exist anymore.

Is there any other method? I'm just curious. How else can you vape? Insert a tube directly into your lungs :) ? I just don't see any alternative. Or you mean that you can just use your mouth and not take the vapor into your lungs? Anyway, Nautilus Mini worked fine for me. Thanks anyway.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My quick bite of the apple to why you get sick to the stomach is that you might be swallowing vapor and/or some juice and its irritating the stomach. You got a better atty so your not going to have to pull as hard to get a good vape. Watch Youtube vids on your Nautilus so you understand all aspects of it and its performance.

steam heat

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
There is a flash of blue lightning and YardByrd suddenly appears, out of thin air, levitating in the center of your field of vision. His wings are spread wide and the platinum "YB" medallion around his neck is glowing purple. You hear a deep, smooth, male, Latin, voice translating all but his greeting and farewell:

CAW! "Salutations from across the Realms RK_Vape! First lauds for your move to vaping. My experience indicates these things. E-cigarettes can be used outdoors; unless the temperature is extremely low (far below zero, say at least 10 below) performance should not be an issue. Changes in altitudes, say experienced by Truck Drivers, going over mountain ranges, can make even the best of tanks leak due to pressurization issues.

The biggest no no, error, and tempting mistake to make, with any tank, is over tightening and overfilling it. I suggest filling your tank to just below where the bottom of the wicks feed through the coil. When attaching your tank don't over tighten it; learn how to feel when it snugs so the o-rings, and seals, may do their job. When too tight a tank starts to wear at the seals and o-rings, usually at the base of the tank, because the seal/o-ring has been subjected to undo wear. It usually won't re-seal properly (leak) once the o-rings or seals are damaged. When attaching any atomizer, or tank, try to always grasp it from the base. If you twist from above the base you run the risk of placing undue wear on the seal (or O-ring) between the bottom of the tank and the top of the base. I hope these things will help you in your quest for a good vape. Please know these are totally subjective observations from my own experience and meant to help you. If you have damaged your EVOD tank you may need a replacement. Hang in there and I hope I have helped you in any small way. *pax* & ♥" CAW!

There is a loud pop and YardByrd suddenly vanishes in cloud of white vapor that leaves the aroma of Caramel Pecan Cheesecake in its wake.

Completely off topic but does yardbyrd do the intro and outro every time? Cus I love it. I lmao just now........ But +1 on its probably time for a newer tank. There are a lot of options out there now

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
My quick bite of the apple to why you get sick to the stomach is that you might be swallowing vapor and/or some juice and its irritating the stomach. You got a better atty so your not going to have to pull as hard to get a good vape. Watch Youtube vids on your Nautilus so you understand all aspects of it and its performance.

Thank you, maybe I described it incorrectly, it doesn't mean that I'm actually swallowing it. It just means that when I tried other flavors, they all seemed to have such a nasty smell for me (and a vile taste in my mouth, like I'm vaping some technical fluid) that I simply couldn't do anything more than a few puffs. And I cannot really feel this flavor, just this repulsive smell. Even when I tried this on a clean tank and coil. Maybe I just have to try to change the fluid manufacturer, I don't know. However, with the menthol - nothing like this. As I said, it's not a tragedy, but it's funny.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I spent 2 years chasing the proverbial commercial juice dragon and getting nowhere but a collection of unliked juice and piles of money spent. Its hard to find juices that are good( and thats an opinion), tobaccos especially. Your just starting the road to commercial juice disappointment so IMO research making your own juice, the sooner the better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread