• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hi Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
I haven't been on in a while, and I am so very sadden to hear of some things I have missed. My love and prayers go out to MK and Mike & their family. Classy, your husband, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for Steve. Also to anyone else that I missed reading about.

My news feels so very small in comparison.

I haven't been on here in a while because we started working on our house remodel. Then I got sick. Dizzy, short of breath, so very tired, palpitations, losing weight fast, couldn't sleep, and other symptoms. I couldn't walk to the restroom without being out of breath and exhausted, & would have to sit down & rest 1/2 way thru doing dishes, & taking me all day long to cook one meal because I had no energy or stamina...none, all not at all like me. Ya'll know how I love to cook.

I am not one to go to a doctor if I can avoid it and take care of whatever with over the counter meds. But I couldn't take it anymore. I finally gave up and went to my PCP. First test she did was a blood oxygen level, it was 74. She ordered me on oxygen 24/7, and several inhalers. She did blood tests of course to check other things.

Results of initial blood tests revealed I am Hyperthyroid, & my Calcium is also high. The blood test thyroid levels were very high so that became priority. She then ordered a thyroid scan with uptake and a heart echo. The thyroid scan test my uptake was 92.5% (normal is 30%).

Confirmed...I have dangerously high thyroid levels, my heart rate is going nuts, hand tremors, hair falling out.

I have been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism Graves Disease. Graves disease is a autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid. I am now under the care of a Endocrinologist, Cardiologist, and Ophthalmologist. Endo for the thyroid, Cardo because my heart rate spiked at 248 one day and this disease can damage the heart, Optho because the Graves Disease part of it can attack the eyes with whats commonly termed as Thyroid Eye Disease.

I am also seeing a Pulmonary doctor because they found thru the Heart Echo test that I also have Moderate Pulmonary Hypertension. I have COPD and Thyroid Disease which they seem to think caused the PH. I'll have to have more tests done for the PH later.

I am on bed rest, no strenuous activity, avoid heat (real funny doc... I live in Texas! thank goodness it is wintertime right now), avoid stress, home oxygen 24/7, and bunch of meds including a beta blocker to help control my high heart rate and hand tremors. Before the beta blocker my resting heart rate was going up to 140, with the one spike of 200+.

The immediate goal is to get my thyroid levels down as fast as possible and try to avoid a Thyroid Storm. There are three treatment options; antithyroid meds & beta blockers, Radioactive Iodine (RAI) to kill the thyroid gland, or surgery to remove it. The RAI my Endo says she can't think about right now because my levels are dangerously high and must come down before she can attempt that. If she did it now it could cause the high amt of thyroid hormones to "dump" into my body and could throw me into a Thyroid Storm, which can be fatal. I agree, lets not do that right now then.

My thyroid gland is enlarged and affecting my vocal cords, I sound like I have a bad case of laryngitis. They won't say if my vocal cords will be permanently like this & damaged or not, too early to determine. The third option of surgery to remove the thyroid gland isn't an option right now because it is too enlarged.

The house remodel has been stopped (for now). I can't do anything to help Chris, and I don't need the construction dust agitating my lungs, nor the noise. And too, we are scared to use the money right now worried about what might come next with my health. I haven't cooked a thing in weeks. :( Chris is taking very good care of me & doing everything on top of his demanding job. He brings something home to eat for dinner, or cooks us up something quick. I soooo miss cooking, so ready to sling some flour up in here again!

2012 isn't looking like a good year...for many of us. :cry:

Sorry for the long post. I miss everyone, and wanted to stop in to say hello. MK, Classy...your in my prayers ladies!

Last edited:

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Thanks ladies! I was suppose to go in to the Cardiologist tomorrow for test results of the 24hr halter monitor they did last week, but her office called and cancelled my apptmt. She now wants me to have a Nuclear Stress test. She had told me it was a possibility she would want to do a stress test if she wasn't confident with the halter monitor test results. But of course the lady that called couldn't tell me anything about the results of the monitor test.

So I do the stress test next Thursday. It's not a treadmill stress test, I can't do that type because of my thyroid & heart rate. This is going to be laying down and they put something in a iv. IDK, never had one before but my Mom did. Should be nothing to stress over, routine, they do them everyday. Then I go see the Cardo on the 2nd for results.

Hurry up and wait....it drives me insane. :)

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
kay, hi and thanks for posting..... I was wondering if we had scared you off! I'm so sorry about the thyroid issues. That's about as extreme as it gets, your symptoms! Good thing you didn't let it go any longer that you did. I hope this gets under control soon and you are able to get some normalcy back. I also hope your daughter is doing well, too.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Lisa, my daughter is doing really well. Back to work, and promoted to manager.

All is well with all my kids and all grandbabies. My oldest Grandson got accepted into the Academy of Heath & Science program. VERY proud of him! He will be taking college classes thru out high school toward a degree in Health/Science field. A very nice opportunity & future ahead of him. :D

ETA: As far as my symptoms being about extreme as they can get...they are bad yes, but not quite the extreme. The most extreme would be a Thyroid Storm. Praying constantly that never happens. That scares me more than anything else about this! Storms can be fatal... causing strokes, heart attacks, and/or coma. Hence the beta blockers to hopefully prevent having a Storm. I almost did with the 248 heart rate that lasted about 45min in the 200 range. But they got it down to 132 and deemed me clear of being in a Storm on that episode. Someone was watching over me that day! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread